BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    Hang about.

Are you seriously complaining that Dropzone Commander models can't be posed enough? Because they're tanks. How the hell are you going to put waist articulation on a slab of metal?
    Hes also clearly never seen a mantic plastic kit.....because being a multipart plasric kit has more poses than the BA terminators

To repeat stating that the BA kit is good when the SAME company puts out the grey knight, wolf guard, dark angels terminator kits with more bits poseabillity and detail is just silly.

The BA kit is just terrible it amounts to basically a step backward of about 15 years in terms of technology.

Edit its also worth pointing out that the BA kit under discussion doesnt have any waist articulation either
    Last edited by daboarder; 06-03-2015 at 04:38 AM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Malifaux and Infinity tend to be better detailed models (though assembling some Malifaux models can take a lot of patience due to all the detail parts), so they can be forgiven a bit. They also don't cost $30 for one infantry figure.

But yeah, the main complaint comes when you look at GW's models versus their own product offering. When you see more options - in terms of what you can equip/detail a model with as well as posing - in older kits that cost less, you can't go trying to write off new models that take away all those options but cost more.

And when people say "But other company don't have so many posing options!" I want to note that they typically cost a lot less, and those same GW "apologists" also claim that GW is by far the best in the business. So if GW is the best by a mile and all, and they used to be able to do multi-part models that could be posed, then why are they now not able to do that? Why is pretty much every character mono-pose with practically no options? Why do I have an expensive kit like the Stormfiends where I have three models in a unit (which costs $200 to build!) that look exactly the same, same pose, same details, same piece of terrain they're standing on? Why have they taken so many steps backward while charging more, using cheaper material, and using software to sculpt that is supposed to improve things? Especially when some kits, like infantry kits, show they can do this stuff. You can get a $40 box of Skitarii with a bunch of options that can be posed all over, but a $30 infantry character model can only have a hand swap and can't be set up in different poses?

Yeah, just forget the other companies (but, again, if you claim GW is the best by sooooo much distance, your defense can't be "but these other companies do something sort of similar!"), even within GW's own stuff, even within the stuff they're putting out right now, the pricing and options and other stuff aren't looking right.

Cor, it's almost as if it's a matter of personal taste.

Imagine that! Subjective opinions being subjective! Will wonders never, ever cease?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    I'm amazed you can see some much from such low resolution pictures.

The blood angel terminators are such and improvement over the regular box, it's not even funny, they'd limited in poses but they have enough variety to make up for it and they look fantastic.
    im sorry, but look at the crux, it is tiny and has NO detail, you dont need a super high pixel count to see the crux is almost flush with the pad. (look at the close up pad pic and the forward facing one)
    and i fear the tubing for the hood is not textured, those lines look like paint highlights, though i will admit, that could well be quality of pic.

the static poses of the blood angel terminators is a major backward step, they could have put those details on the mini and made them multi pose like regular terminators, but no, you get two poses (claws or hammers), with molded in heads, so you cant even repose them easily. a simple pose change on a head can change the pose dramaticaly, for better or for worse. single pose kits are fine and well for boxed games but not general release.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Hes also clearly never seen a mantic plastic kit.....because being a multipart plasric kit has more poses than the BA terminators

To repeat stating that the BA kit is good when the SAME company puts out the grey knight, wolf guard, dark angels terminator kits with more bits poseabillity and detail is just silly.

The BA kit is just terrible it amounts to basically a step backward of about 15 years in terms of technology.

Edit its also worth pointing out that the BA kit under discussion doesnt have any waist articulation either
    Actually, I am pretty sure I currently own at least one of every of the Mantic plastic kits what with various crazy box deals and kickstarters. So I can tell you quite easily that they universally have almost no customisation, the best kits they do, the zombies and ghouls, have a set of torsos and a set of legs, the newer Deadzone kits have multiple parts, torsos legs and arms but they are all set to which bodies, legs and arms go to each model, so again, next to nothing in terms of posing. You can move arms up and down maybe, but that is the same on the Blood Angel Terminator kit. I could go on.

The only kit mantic do with much in the way of posing and options is the kit even Mantic have said isn't up to standard (which is a pretty low standard anyway) the Men at Arms kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    Hang about.

Are you seriously complaining that Dropzone Commander models can't be posed enough? Because they're tanks. How the hell are you going to put waist articulation on a slab of metal?
    Not complaining, saying that having little in the way of options doesn't make them bad models and point out how rare kits with a lot of options is in the hobby.

Making models that look better is not a backwards step.

- - - Updated - - -

The skitarii boxes have a lot of options but, again, because of how intricate they are, they are not very customisable. each set of legs has a body and arms that fit it properly, mixing these up isn't possible without converting. It doesn't mean its a bad kit, because they're amazing models.

Malifaux are probably about the closest anyother company gets the GW quality in plastic, they have no options or customisation, they're single monopose models, the prices are on par with GW, you're paying £30 for a box of 5-6 models.

Keep on trying though, by all means.
    Last edited by Path Walker; 06-03-2015 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post

I'm happy with my BA terminator purchase. :Colbert:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Cor, it's almost as if it's a matter of personal taste.

Imagine that! Subjective opinions being subjective! Will wonders never, ever cease?
    Well, that's why it's fair to compare GW to GW, which is where things go off the rails. We know they *can* do things, and not charge as much... but then, they probably recognize that the customer base they have left will, at least in the 60-70% range, just accept monopose models without options that cost more than sanity deems they should, so why put in the effort or money to do the other? They can save money on a monopose model with a single hand-swap option, charge more for it, and people will still buy it and jump all over anyone who questions it. At that point, there's no need to do anything different, until that number diminishes enough to see them losing money that they can't get back by just cutting staff further.

Objectively, you can't defend a $30 monopose infantry model with a single hand swap versus a $25 model with a lot of options or a $40 set of ten models with plenty of options, all made by the same company and with similar levels of detail (sometimes more with the cheaper models). But that won't stop people from trying. (I shouldn't complain so much, because it's a fascinating view into psychology, a sort of Stockholm syndrome even, seeing how people defend these things.)

First-Captain

Its almost as if some people have never heard the words supply and demand. A Tactical squad can be cheap because they will sell tons of them, big rat monsters for an army of a game that doesn't sell as well will have to be priced higher. Its not some evil insidious move by the company, its simple economics of scale.

Yep.

Don't get me wrong - some prices do leave me scratching my head. Witch Elves for instance. They're nice models like, but now in plastic, and a core choice, so the £35 a box seems high.

Though it's entirely on par with Warmahordes boxes, so it's not just GW with the odd peculiar price point.

And in addition to a given units place in the game's organisational structure, there's also the points to consider. Take my beloved Kasteallan Robots. Gorgeous models, fantastic kit. But a not-inconsiderable £42 for three models. Yikes. But then I have a look at their points values. Yeah. That's some pretty decent 'pound per point', certainly enough that I have two boxes worth at present.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Becht View Post
    That and the upgrade kit had me hooked.
    Yes. More wing-hats. Fewer crappy freehand chapter symbols. The sword is lovely. I'll use every single one of those pieces. More upgrade kits, please!
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast