BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Yep.

Don't get me wrong - some prices do leave me scratching my head. Witch Elves for instance. They're nice models like, but now in plastic, and a core choice, so the £35 a box seems high.

Though it's entirely on par with Warmahordes boxes, so it's not just GW with the odd peculiar price point.

And in addition to a given units place in the game's organisational structure, there's also the points to consider. Take my beloved Kasteallan Robots. Gorgeous models, fantastic kit. But a not-inconsiderable £42 for three models. Yikes. But then I have a look at their points values. Yeah. That's some pretty decent 'pound per point', certainly enough that I have two boxes worth at present.
    Pricing has to be seriously tough for GW to work out if you think about it. Probably 80% of a models sales will happen during it's initial release window so they have to make a good estimate of how many they think they can sale vs the cost vs what they need the kit to provide in profit. Too high risks people not buying the kit and too low risks not making the amount of profit they targeted. Not a fun job for them to work it out at all.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    And in addition to a given units place in the game's organisational structure, there's also the points to consider. Take my beloved Kasteallan Robots. Gorgeous models, fantastic kit. But a not-inconsiderable £42 for three models. Yikes. But then I have a look at their points values. Yeah. That's some pretty decent 'pound per point', certainly enough that I have two boxes worth at present.
    That's always been a bad way to view things. A product should stand on its own merits, not "points-per-pound/dollar." And heck, if you go that route, the Ork Mek Gunz look even worse than they already did, because five of them will set you back $230 (not sure the pound price) and are less than 200 points fully kitted out (with full crew and all, which I think you might need more Grots for). So not only are you paying way too much for a small model of a single artillery piece, you're also paying more dollars than its max points cost. No surprise to me that I've only seen a single one of them in anyone's army.

As for other companies having odd prices on some units, at least it doesn't sting as much when you can get an entire army or fleet for $125 (or even less). Okay, sure, Bolt Action is about $300, but for a nice army at 2000 points, whereas a 2000 point 40K army is more like $800-$900. So we should probably stop with comparing GW prices to other companies...

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by spagunk View Post
    I'm happy with my BA terminator purchase. :Colbert:
    And good on you for that, glad to hear it.

But the kit is in no way up the the standard that GW offers in other places
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    Pricing has to be seriously tough for GW to work out if you think about it. Probably 80% of a models sales will happen during it's initial release window so they have to make a good estimate of how many they think they can sale vs the cost vs what they need the kit to provide in profit. Too high risks people not buying the kit and too low risks not making the amount of profit they targeted. Not a fun job for them to work it out at all.
    yeah, and they have obviously learned. sticking with the fantasy, boxes of ten rose steadily in price until they peaked at £35 with the dark elves, ten high elf shadow warriors? £30. ten dark elf witch elves? £35. but then ten wood elf rangers? £23.50. it is a shame they aren't bringing the dark elves down to match, or even knock a fiver off, but they do learn sometimes.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Keep on trying though, by all means.
    I will, because trying to use DZC models as an example of something unposable is shamefully wrong and you should feel bad.

Yeah, they mostly don't have options, but that's because Hawk would rather sell you, eg, the Sabre and Rapier once each instead of a Sabre/Rapier one-chassis-two-guns pack twice. I like that; I'm not paying extra for a bucket of resin I can't use.

What they do have is posing. All the turrets turn, many of them elevate, the walkers have waist joints* and hip joints, the dropships' VTOL jets turn, the Ferrum can be built expanded or collapsed, the ramps on the hovercraft and drill open/close...

There's also the crowning glory, the 30mm scale Ares, which has posable toes, but it almost feels like cheating to mention that; it's not a typical DZC model.

*except the Janus, which is weeny, and the Hades, which is not bipedal and wouldn't know a waist if one danced in front of it, but it does have ankles instead (not to mention the multi-part tail)

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    yeah, and they have obviously learned. sticking with the fantasy, boxes of ten rose steadily in price until they peaked at £35 with the dark elves, ten high elf shadow warriors? £30. ten dark elf witch elves? £35. but then ten wood elf rangers? £23.50. it is a shame they aren't bringing the dark elves down to match, or even knock a fiver off, but they do learn sometimes.
    It is a shame as the dark elves are lovely models. Maybe with the reboot from end times their will be more than one miracle.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Anyone else notice the new Deva squads show DA with the Graviton Amp weapon? Might be the first confimed option change for the New DA Dex...

Quote Originally Posted by musical-fool View Post
    Anyone else notice the new Deva squads show DA with the Graviton Amp weapon? Might be the first confimed option change for the New DA Dex...
    I noticed that too, right there on GW screen shots for the new Devastators. I can only hope we get some love for our plasma weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by musical-fool View Post
    I think it means nothing. I can't remember what exactly GW did, but I remember something that GW showed a mini with something but it wasn't in the codex and people complained that how come GW would show a pic with it if it can't use it.

I wouldn't get my hopes up. We just don't know. Better to not expect it and not disappointed or expect it and if it doesn't happen be disappointed and upset.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Quote Originally Posted by HsojVvad View Post
    I think it means nothing. I can't remember what exactly GW did, but I remember something that GW showed a mini with something but it wasn't in the codex and people complained that how come GW would show a pic with it if it can't use it.
    Tactical Squad box shows a Marine with a flamer and another one with a grav gun (plus the missile launcher and Sergeant):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m3430505a_99120101103_2013TacticalSquadXtBox_873x627.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	14488

So yeah, sometimes they picture things you can't do in-game.

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast