BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Fortifications experiences

Has anyone tried out the Plasma Obliterator Fortification at all? Seems like that might be a really good one to guard the backfield, maybe with Coteaz inside, and/or with a SpaceWolves IC with the Helm of Durfast (to reroll To Hits and Ignores Cover). It's AV14 and 4 HPs, and can take a Void Shield, but with that it runs at a Land Raider's cost.

Or would a Firestorm Redoubt be better for a Fortification investment? Of course those quadlascannons can't be fired by models, but that's some good antiFlyrant gear.

I read about the Vengeance Weapons Batteries, but they only auto fire at BS2, though 2 can be had in one Fort. slot, but nobody can embark on or in them. I think those can take debris piles though for some cover saves for models behind that.

A Fire storm Redoubt is absolutely lethal for flyers/flying monstrous creatures.
    I had one used against me in the last game I played with my Chaos space marines
    With the machine spirit upgrade (for Bs3) on the Firestorm redoubt my Hellblade and Daemon Prince got vaporized so fast that it wasn't even funny.
    You probably wouldn't see flying hive tyrants again after a game or 2 using one.
    Last edited by Djbz; 05-22-2015 at 04:31 PM.

I had a fortress of Redemption as an Arbite Fortress Precinct and had some fun games with that list.

I took out a Tyranid swarm list by virtue of the face it had so little to deal with armour 14.

In another game I got totally brutalised by one manticore firing a 1st turn volley and hitting multiple building sections with each blast....it was horrible....3/4 of the fortress leveled on the first turn.

I reckon now with the ability to take upgrade the Fortress of redemption would fair better!

Cheers

Charlie

Yeah, those flyers can really put a huge continuous tax on my current forces. For my CSMs I was trying out the Kharybdis, Heldrake, and shooty Slaanesh allied Prince, but those just can't finish anything off, especially things with AV12 or 3+ armor. Even forcing Jink saves can be very valuable. I'm liking the Redoubt better now. And 6 models firing out of the huge slot is cool too, great for Jokaeros and Servitors, or Havocs or Obliterators

I also do like the Fortress of Redemption. Many tournaments these days don't allow those because they're so giant and take up table space, but I think that sucks. It's really neat looking too, usually way cooler than even terrain! Definitely would fare better with a Void Shield on each section too, and not that much more expensive in points.

Thanks for the advice!

I have often run a Bunker with Void Shield and Comms Relais. At a mere 100 points, it does its job very well, especially against Tyranids who lacks S7+ shooting. Worst case, it soaks a Flyrant's shooting to drop the shield.

Hmm, I was planning to use a Plasma Obliterator with some Skitarii Rangers with a Warlord (for the Preferred Enemy) and Arquebuses inside (longer range than Vanguard), and an Omnispex to reduce enemy cover saves. Was going to combo it with Phosphor weapons elsewhere in the force to further reduce cover saves. Coteaz would be hilarious though! Giving that huge blast Interceptor would just be mean, if it also had Preferred Enemy and -1 to cover saves as well, that would just be brutal on any deep striking units.
    Last edited by Haighus; 05-23-2015 at 08:09 AM.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Figure the Aquila is the best way to deal with new Eldar. Double Str D goodness.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Quote Originally Posted by John Bower View Post
    Figure the Aquila is the best way to deal with new Eldar. Double Str D goodness.
    So long as the Eldar don't deal with it first :/ I would definitely give it the Void shield upgrade to try and weather those Distortion weapons. Barricades in front of the building for a possible cover save would be helpful too (and cheap, 10pts per section IIRC).
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

I thought about the Bunker too, that would be good and cheap for Havocs w Missiles, and the Champ could fire an Icarus or Quad Gun on top.

I went ahead ordered a pair of Vengeance Batteries and I'm gonna make the quad las turrets for the tops, and some barricades to span between them, behind which my Mortis Contemptor and Deredeo can be reasonably shielded. Later I could make a bunker center to create a custom Redoubt.

If it's still there, and I have the money then, I think I will get that Plasma Obliterator though. The D-Scythes are just so nasty! They need to be splatted before they can do anything. Being a primary weapon it's decent against light armor too, and any infantry (and jetbikes/bikes if fired with Perfect Timing).