BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heavy or Hobby?

Default Heavy or Hobby?

Either way, I think this is the Guard list I'll run for my BoLSCon challenge games. I need to get in some practice games against an Eldar Seer Council list and some Marines.

2000 Pts - 5th Edition Roster - BoLSCon Challenge

4 Company Command Squad
    Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon (x4); Lasgun (x1); Carapace Armour; Medi-pack; Plasmagun (x3); Chimera
    1 Company Commander
    Frag Grenades; Refractor Field; Carapace Armour; Melta Bombs; Plasma Pistol; Power Fist; Senior Officer
    1 Chimera
    Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Turret Multi-Laser; Heavy Flamer

4 Company Command Squad
    Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon (x4); Lasgun (x1); Camo Cloak; Medi-pack; Sniper Rifle (x3); Master of Ordnance
    1 Company Commander
    Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Refractor Field; Close Combat Weapon; Camo Cloak; Melta Bombs; Bolter; Senior Officer
    1 Master of Ordnance

4 Ratling Squad

1 Guardsman Marbo

9 Veteran Squad Carapace Armour; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Close Combat Weapon (x9); Shotgun (x6); Meltagun (x3); Grenadiers
    1 Sergeant Bastonne Carapace Armour; Frag Grenades; Hot-shot Laspistol; Krak Grenades; Power Sword; Carapace Armour; It's Up to Us, Lads; Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

9 Veteran Squad @ 167 Pts Shotgun (x6) Meltagun (x3)
    1 Veteran Sergeant Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Bolt Pistol; Power Weapon
    1 Chimera Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Turret Multi-Laser; Heavy Flamer

4 Platoon Command Squad Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon (x4); Flamer (x4)
    1 Platoon Commander Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Melta Bombs; Plasma Pistol; Power Weapon; Junior Officer
    9 Infantry Squad Grenade Launcher (x1)
    1 Sergeant Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Laspistol; Close Combat Weapon
    9 Infantry Squad Grenade Launcher (x1)
    1 Sergeant Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Laspistol; Close Combat Weapon
    3 Heavy Weapons Squad Autocannon (x3)
    3 Heavy Weapons Squad Lascannon (x3)

1 Valkyrie
    Extra Armor; Searchlight; Multilaser; Multiple Rocket Pods (x2)

Hellhound
    1 Hellhound
    Inferno Cannon; Multi-Melta

1 Leman Russ Demolisher
    Demolisher Siege Cannon; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Lascannon; Plasma Cannon Sponsons (x2)

1 Leman Russ Battle Tank
    Battle Cannon; Heavy Bolter; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Heavy Bolter Sponsons (x2)

1 Basilisk
    Earthshaker Cannon; Heavy Bolter; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers

Total Roster Cost: 1999

Questions, comments, complaints, and challenges welcomed.

Ahhh! Army Builder format is hurting my brain!

But beyond that, I see that you're spending a number of points on upgrades that could be used to buy more bodies. Namely, carapace armour for Bastonne's vet squad, although I suppose you're going to use stormtroopers to model this unit, no? Also, the various lieutenants and so forth with melta bombs. Planning on charging vehicles much?

Those extra points could be used to buy more Ratlings, or even another infantry squad for your platoon.

Of course, that's only if you're trying to be as competative as possible without being rediculous, but if this is the list you want to play against Jawaballs and Fritz, well, no reason to be modest about it, because they surely won't!

I don't want to over-optimize the list. Bastonne and his boys are actually going to be SM scouts - anyone that wants to hang out with that guy has to be a world-class badass (and they'll still die, but them's the breaks).

Still, I don't see what four lone ratlings are going to do except maybe get lucky and pin a unit in the first if you get to go first. It's just that there are so many units out that where pinning isn't an issue unless you've got so many pinning weapons that they're having to take several tests a turn.

Of course, they are ONLY 40 points... I just hate bringing units that are any smaller than half a dozen... Must be bleed over from when I played Orks...

BoLS Challenge?

Is that like throw a Fly Lord and random dude in the octagon and see who comes out?

Nah, just me playing Fritz and Jawaballs.

Quote Originally Posted by Madigan View Post
    Still, I don't see what four lone ratlings are going to do except maybe get lucky and pin a unit in the first if you get to go first. It's just that there are so many units out that where pinning isn't an issue unless you've got so many pinning weapons that they're having to take several tests a turn.

Of course, they are ONLY 40 points... I just hate bringing units that are any smaller than half a dozen... Must be bleed over from when I played Orks...

Pinning isn't the major advantage of Ratlings. I use them all the time and they hardly ever pin anything. Their main contribution, atleast in my mind, is their ability to wound monstrous creatures. I don't usually take less than 5.

Evil Midnight Bomber

Jon, I'll buy you...several...beers of your choice if you smash that smug elf-hugger Fritz's keister. I mean, yeah, I get it, he loveses him some Eldar, but christ it seems like every blog posting by him is more bragbragbragBRAGGING about how good he is, how incredible Eldar are, etc. Now don't misunderstand me, I don't dislike him or anything (in fact, I think he's a good guy and he does crank out a good blog once you get past the self-aggrandizement)...I just want to see him humbled a bit, that's all.

Triple agree with Joe here. I'm dying to see if I can get a chance to play him in the tournament, just for the CHANCE of saying that I beat the ever-arrogant Fritz.

It will be wonderful!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast