BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    First-Captain

something to work out for someone with a bit of spare time and a calculator: do those ~450 models even fit into your deployment zone?! I assume so, even if it gets a bit crowded, but even then the close proximity might increase the effectiveness of templates drastically, plus there will never be enough cover for all those models, which also helps with shooting them.
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Veteran-Sergeant

You could always keep some in reserve and have them walk onto the board later. Having your entire deployment zone full of guys is intimidating enough, imagine if on turn 2 more started to walk on!

Also, anyone building their tactics around deep striking will have a very bad day when your swarm arrives

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Fueldrop View Post
    Also, anyone building their tactics around deep striking will have a very bad day when your swarm arrives
    That, and good luck finding a good spot to park your fliers between turns...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Veteran-Sergeant

So... any anti-tank weapons are going to have a hard time making their points back. Stuff like autocannons, normally a very safe pick, will find themselves swamped too. Even stuff like heavy bolters will be barely more effective than standard bolters and at a far higher cost. Thunderhammers, power weapons, power fists... all a waste of points against this unending horde.

On the flip side, burna boyz will be having an absolute ball!

Wyverns? Anyone? No? Dust?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Wyverns would be somewhat mitigated by splitting everything into smaller squads, because then they are more likely to get overkill and waste wounds by completely wiping units. Especially if in batteries. I'm not sure roughly how many GEQs they kill in a volley though, so it may not really matter if they wipe less than 15/16 in one volley. All the other options have bigger squads to target.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

I have slowly (over the past two years) built my Imperial Fist 5th company and using the sentinels of terra rules, the hail of bolter fire would make a damn good go at destroying a few hundred models in 5 turns.
    I have 8 tactical squads and kit them all out with bolters (Sgt with storm bolter). If you set up 12" away you'll be out of your rhinos and into rapid fire range by turn 2. 160 shots per round, rerolling all misses.
    The Math - (not taking into account cover or line of sight) 160 shots, hitting on 3's. Thats 2/3rd hitting (80). Re-rolling 40 and hitting on the same stats adds 27 more hits (rounding up).
    107 wounds per round, wounding on 3's (if we're firing at guard) (2/3rd wound). 71 dead per round as Ap5 so no saving throw. Four rounds of that and you have 284 little squished bodies on the floor. That's from 8 tactical squads and rhinos - 1480 points.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Haighus View Post
    Wyverns would be somewhat mitigated by splitting everything into smaller squads, because then they are more likely to get overkill and waste wounds by completely wiping units. Especially if in batteries. I'm not sure roughly how many GEQs they kill in a volley though, so it may not really matter if they wipe less than 15/16 in one volley. All the other options have bigger squads to target.
    That largely depends on how far apart the units are. Remember, just because enemies have to stay 1" when not Charging, doesn't mean the friendlies don't. And considering how the Wyverns work, hitting multiple targets is not an issue like it would be for the Punishers.

if it was guard vs guard that wouldnt last 5 turns

i once used 91 space marines in a 1500pt game but that was in 3rd or 4th ed before they changed it so that devastator squads had to take heavy weapons instead of "can take 4 weapons from the heavy weapons section" basically it went as follows

Captain-Bolter
    Tactical squad- Flamer
    Tactical squad- Flamer
    Tactical squad- Flamer
    Tactical squad- Flamer
    Tactical squad- Flamer
    Tactical squad- Flamer
    Devastator squad-
    Devastator squad-
    Devastator squad-

came in just under 1500 upset all the none marine players as was quite difficult to take on and your basic bolter does alot of damage to low armour.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast