BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I had a go with some Native American-inspired designs, then I got all worried about [url=http://jezebel.com/5959698/a-much-needed-primer-on-cultural-appropriation]cultural appropriation[/url]. So I did a bit of reading on the topic, felt better about it, came back to the models, and realised what I had done was just... Turd. So, I repainted their pads, and you can see the results.

Definitely love the old Native-American inspired DAs; that's not a culture that gets enough referencing in sci-fi.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    I had a go with some Native American-inspired designs, then I got all worried about [url=http://jezebel.com/5959698/a-much-needed-primer-on-cultural-appropriation]cultural appropriation[/url]. So I did a bit of reading on the topic, felt better about it, came back to the models, and realised what I had done was just... Turd. So, I repainted their pads, and you can see the results.

Definitely love the old Native-American inspired DAs; that's not a culture that gets enough referencing in sci-fi.
    Good thought! I have some native American blood in my family tree but it is always worthwhile to make sure one is paying homage rather than usurping cultural references. I can imagine the designs are challenging to capture in miniature. What you finally landed on is ace.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

I just didn't want it to be a hodge-podge of differing tribal designs; I think successful art is art that comes from specificity, be that from specific personal experiences or specific cultures. I can't stand the lazy 'ah just throw it in, it's fantasy, no-one will care' nonsense.

I initially wanted them to be Anasazi (because that's the most likely tribe John Redcorn comes from in 'King Of The Hill', and I do like to hide in-jokes in as much of my 40k stuff as possible. ), but when I experimented with taking those designs and 'Dark Angel-ing' them, it didn't quite work- lots of hard-edged spirals and swirls that were way too tricky for me. I'm alright, but not quite good enough yet, and a man's got to know his limitations.

I'd love to see someone pull it off, though. Especially on Deathwing.

Chapter-Master

you definitely need a model for Two Heads Talking
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    you definitely need a model for Two Heads Talking
    Seconded. The story that started it all...
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

That would be awesome. And I haven't made a Librarian yet.

Hmmmm...

Chapter-Master

see, has to be done
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Love those Icon variations. I particularly enjoy how you tied them together with the models past personal history, i.e. ex raven wing rider etc. Fantastic idea, if you don't mind I might try playing with that for my SM's.

It will be a tad bit more difficult as I run a non codex chapter though. With an established fluff chapter you have all that history to play with. With a custom chapter- it will present a challenge to really bring it out and make it recognizable. Still, something to play around with...
    na na na na na... wut?

Fantastic idea, if you don't mind I might try playing with that for my SM's.
    Go for it. The whole idea of these threads is to share ideas.

Default Basing

I love the models, I love the poses, I love the freehand work, but you are really missing out on the bases. Generally it is a mistake to have your bases the same tone or color as your model, so that light gray with the terminators does nothing to set off the beautiful models. I would suggest either a darker base, so that the white pops, or a reddish base to allow the white to stand out but compliment all of the scarlet details. Just one guy's opinion. Hope it helps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast