BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default 2k - IG - gun line + artillery + air

Contemplating a gun line with all the guardsman i'd wind up with if i buy the unbuilt boxes of IG my friend wants to unload as he's can't keep up with hobby right now (RL family and job - that sort of stuff and he could use extra cash and it gives me a new army to have fun with - not IF or 'Nids). Have a full mech cav list i really like but i'd have to get a few more models to flush it out to 2k. this one i'd have to get some FW kits and yarrick+bullgryns so it might be a few months later i get those down the road - perhaps this fall.

I really don't have too much familiarity with IG - none playing with and not much playing against way back almost 8 years ago.

IG - 2,000 Points Gun Line

Headquarters: 220 points

145 - Commissar Yarrick

25 - Ministorum Priest w/ autogun

Elites: 190 points

190 - Bullgryns Squad
    - 3x Bullgryns w/ power maul & brute shield

Troops: 660 points

375 - Infantry Platoon
    - HWS - 3x AC teams
    - HWS - 3x AC teams
    - HWS - 3x AC teams
    - IS - x20 lasguns
    - PCS - 4x flamers

285 - Infantry Platoon
    - SWS - 3x flamer teams
    - SWS - 3x flamer teams
    - SWS - 3x flamer teams
    - IS - x20 lasguns
    - PCS - 4x flamers

Fast Attack: 510 points

170 - Vendetta

170 - Vendetta

170 - Vendetta

Heavy Support: 420 points

140 - Medusa w/ BBS

140 - Medusa w/ BBS

140 - Medusa w/ BBS

tallies up 2000 on the dot as well.

would put a priest with the IS blobs and bullgryns.

Long time ago i thought Medusa's were in the IG GW codex? now they're FW only? not a big deal but now i'd have to belly-creed with the local rules attorney before playing the list and submit a notarized list for approval in triplicate (yellow copy is mine).

Yarrick and the Bullgryns are a point sink but thinking they fit well with this list.

2 blobs to push forward to tarpit while the artillery and ac teams shoot away.

Yar-star and 2x PCS's should hopefully be able to handle anything that gets close.

3x vendettas should be plenty of anti-av and late game objective grabs with the SWS's tucked inside.

wondering if i should try and find the points to get ECC's for the medusa's.

Oh well, just some thoughts for right now.

Any suggestions, tips, advice, C&C etc is always appreciated.

Thanks,

Tak

Brother-Captain

Your gut instinct that Yarrick and the Bullgryn's were a point sink was correct. You should replace Yarrick with a CCS so you can get more orders going out for less points. The Bullgryns are a giant waste of time in a gun-line. If you encounter an enemy army capable of getting through the deluge for some close-quarters, then one unit of ogryn aren't going to do much to change those scales in your favor. I would suggest instead that you invest those points into creating Veteran Squads with sniper rifles or plasma guns -- one is good at pinning down enemy infantry and picking off sergeants while the other is an all around threat to everything short of AV14.

When you have blobs, you should *never* be pushing forward unless they are meant to intercede between an enemy unit and a far more precious target (like your artillery). Otherwise they should be sitting in cover and using FRFSRF as many times as they can. It's also work it to equip them with krak grenades.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Thanks for the input and revised list. something i can't break my mold of doing is repetition repetition repetition so doubled up on CCS and ratlings. Ratlings seem like a more cost effective way to get some sniping into the gun line and the entire unit is shooting at same range at the target (not 6 lasgun guys twiddling thumbs with target parking at 30"). Snuck in the MoO's, which work well sitting behind gun line, and OotF's, which should help get vendettas on the board sooner.

IG - 2,000 Points Gun Line

Headquarters: 250 points

125 - CCS
    - MoO, OotF, RS, VC, Mortar Team

125 - CCS
    - MoO, OotF, RS, VC, Mortar Team

Elites: 100 points

50 - Ratlings Squad x5

50 - Ratlings Squad x5

Troops: 720 points

405 - Infantry Platoon
    - HWS - 3x AC teams
    - HWS - 3x AC teams
    - HWS - 3x AC teams
    - IS - x20 lasguns, krak grenades, 1x VC
    - PCS - 4x flamers, krak grenages

315 - Infantry Platoon
    - SWS - 3x flamer teams
    - SWS - 3x flamer teams
    - SWS - 3x flamer teams
    - IS - x20 lasguns, krak grenades, 1x VC
    - PCS - 4x flamers, krak grenages

Fast Attack: 510 points

170 - Vendetta

170 - Vendetta

170 - Vendetta

Heavy Support: 420 points

140 - Medusa w/ BBS

140 - Medusa w/ BBS

140 - Medusa w/ BBS

Vox casters worth the cost? can't give HWS's VC's so not sure (yeah i could get the AC's as teams to the infantry squads but i don't want to move the AC's teams around).

Still wondering if i should find the points to get ECC's for the medusas.

oh BTW, the medusa's. do folks have issue with them since they're FW? thought for some reason earlier they were in IG GW codex...

Thanks,

Tak

Battle-Brother

Vox casters are totally worth it. Most of your orders will be going on the infantry squads, like FRFSRF. In act, if you could, I'd invest in the Tactical Auto-Reliquary; its a fantastic, and not too expensive, piece of equipment, and even better with Vox Casters around.

As for heavy weapons in Infantry squads or Heavy Weapon squads...its dependent on how you want to use them. If their primary focus is to support the infantry in anti-infantry fire, then put them in the Infantry Squads. If their primary focus is to pick off enemy light vehicles, then keep them separate. If you are unsure, then its best to just be safe and keep them separate.

As for the Medusas, they were in the last edition of the Imperial Guard codex, when they were called that. GW removed them in their "cleansing," AKA, removing units that had no (non-FW resin) models. Hence why IG lost some special characters, and all the artillery tanks besides the Basilisk. There are some people who dislike Forge World, but if you say "well, it was in the last edition of the codex" then they shouldn't have much of a problem. They can't fault you for using a unit that was once part of your main book, but got removed because GW didn't want to take the time to give it a plastic model. The only problem you'd have after that is tournaments, who might or might not allow Forge World.

Brother-Captain

I'd also recommend maybe taking a page out of the Imperial Armour Volume One - Second Edition: Imperial Guard. You can get a lot of artillery from there to add into a gunline. For the price of one Medusa, I could take two earthshaker artillery pieces with camo-nets, for example.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214