BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Reintroduction of missing characters

I was pondering over this the other day, specifically the dark eldar ones.
    I really enjoyed reading the 5E dark eldar codex and making themed lists from it.
    They were not always effective but I could easily make a couple of different kabal themes, a pirate raiding list, Haemonculi coven, street gangs, wych cult, all of these are possible now but lack that extra flavour that a special character can bring.

My question is based on the assumption that they will come back with models in time.
    How would GW do it? and how would you like it to be done? This could also be asked for missing ork and imperial guard special characters.

Personally
    I would like to see Duke sliscus reinstated in a codex eldar: outcasts. A proper place for him with prince yriel , rangers and corsairs.

Lady malys and vect I would not want to see a poisoned tounge or black heart codex its just to much and splits units into too many sources, I've been glad recently with this single source route they've been using (khorne DK aside). I would like to see a dataslate style release with fluff, rules, missions, warlord traits and wargear&relics for each to really emphasise the release

Kheradruakh and the Baron could easily be done with a free datasheet in WD with a bit of background in the issue.

There you go, that's my list wish, what's yours?
    Last edited by angkor what?; 05-27-2015 at 04:49 AM.

Brother-Captain

I miss Zogwart, Zogrod Wartsnagga and Nazdreg.
    Also the bad-*** kroot special character.
    mostly though I just want more combustibility for all generic hqs.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Chapter-Master

dark elder definitely need more HQ variety, either the special characters back, or options for archons on jetbikes, skyboards etc. or both. can't see anything changing before their next codex though, so I would say in that.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Most are unlikely but I can see vect coming end of the year and I'm curious how they would do it without a codex release

Librarian

I think dataslates will be where we find some of our strange long lost bretheren. takes the pressure off design to create a stunning miniature in time for a codex, GW makes an extra $3-$15 for rules that they could have thrown in a codex for free while we waited for said mini. Im okay with this process just cause ide be real ****ing upset if for example they came and made some incredibly derpy derp Vet sarge Naam or a really really bad Chenkov. I think GW will get around to doing these guys right, just doing us slightly financially wrong in the process.

Well, they have successfully added at least 4 named characters with rules since 7th Ed hit, outside of Codex releases, to my knowledge. They have been adding them in the combined 2-army campaign boxes. We got Captain Karlaen and the Horror of Cryptus or whatver the Broodlord was called, and the Ork Warboss and the Space Wolf Wolf Lord in the other one. Now, GW decided that these characters should be limited edition for some reason, but I see no reason why they could not re-release characters already in the fluff using dataslates by a similar method (but hopefully not limited, which is a stupid idea IMO). Just takes a single plastic character clampack.

Personally, I would like to see some of the IG heroes reinstated, especially as several of the heroes they pulled actually had models! Chenkov, Al'Rahem, Khan and Marbo all had models (most of them are still available I think). So does Ibram Gaunt and his Command Squad, and the Last Chancers, although GW seemed to pull support for the Black Library based characters for reasons I cannot fathom. If I remember correctly, the only IG character that didn't have a model and was pulled was the Cadian Grenadier Sergeant who could give an order to his own squad (and was also one of the most interesting special characters in the book IMO).
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Librarian

Man, I really miss Nazdreg. BS4 Ork with his Kustom Blast-X? Hell yeah. Also Duke Sliscus, making drugs awesome. The Baron was meh, Lady Malys is pretty cool, and the book feels weird without Big Pimp Daddy Vect. Kruellagh can stay dead, though.

I do, however, second the need for a DE HQ on a bike or board (3rd edition style! Archon, Bike, Drugs, Punisher, Tormentor Helm, Shadowfield, murdermachine).

The Guard totally got shafted as well. Al Rahim was a lot of fun.

I figure that some of these characters will show back up from dataslates, most in new codexes (which is where I'd expect to see the return of several DE and Ork characters), and some are just gonna stay dead forever. Like, as much as I want it, Nazdreg is never coming back. His role has been taken by (a much watered-down) Badrukk, and they're never giving us a BS4 ork again.

Regarding the missing Guard characters, it feels like some of what they brought to the gameplay is the type of things GW is doing with formations now: Al'Rahim's outflanking thing and Chenkov's conscripts thing. Nobody ever brought Al'Rahim because of his sword, lol. Still, they could come back with unique and flavorful orders and fixed warlord traits.

Please not Warlord traits, unless they are guaranteed Warlord traits for taking Chenkov or Al'Rahem. If the only way to get the same effect the hero previously had is by a chance die roll each game, that is just bad tbh.

Formations, on the other hand, would work pretty well, especially if they were unique formations, like "Al'Rahem's Desert Raiders" or "The Tundra Wolves Platoon" or something to those effects.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Quote Originally Posted by Haighus View Post
    Please not Warlord traits, unless they are guaranteed Warlord traits for taking Chenkov or Al'Rahem. If the only way to get the same effect the hero previously had is by a chance die roll each game, that is just bad tbh.

Formations, on the other hand, would work pretty well, especially if they were unique formations, like "Al'Rahem's Desert Raiders" or "The Tundra Wolves Platoon" or something to those effects.
    There good points, i like a special character or hq to provide something other than cc monster. Sometimes though they bring to much with an easily acquired usr and become auto includes. I like the thought of them sometimes only being available with a formation, it gives it a tax, I'm not a fan of free rules and bonuses like chapter tactics, but I like that there is flavourful rules such as chapter tactics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast