BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Battle-Brother

Generally my local meta doesn't emphasise superheavies very much. I'm That Guy with more money than sense and a tendency to shell out for the big stuff. but I'm a hobbiest more than a gamer, so I'm quite happy to leave the big stuff at home and bring infantry and light armour forces to table.
    Titans take effort to transport :P
    The usual convention in local meta is that superheavies require both players to agree to them, same with fliers. nobody likes to bring a list that flatly can't cope with what's arrayed against them.

Brother-Sergeant

Have to agree with the Yorkster and Cadian, superheavies, titans, and I'll even argue Knights (being superheavies) have no place in games of 40K. Understand I LOVE to play Apocalypse. Unfortunately, a game of 40K is being waged over a grocery store parking lot. We just have no need of such models in what was described as a very small cross section of a huge conflict.
    40K pronunciation guide: Abaddon = [uh - BAD - done], Belial = [bee - LEEL] (I promise), and Chimera = [KY - murr - uh].

Personally I don't own any Titans, and don't bring my Baneblade to 2K or under games. Occasionally my one of my Machariuses will make an appearance, but often I feel they're not worth the points at that small a scale on a relatively small table. (Our local is a very small store, you're lucky if you can get a 6x4 to play on in there.)

Still, I love the challenge of facing off against Superheavies. Knights, Stompas and the like are so much fun to throw men at.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Veteran-Sergeant

Went toe to toe with a big chaos beastie today. 3++ rerolling failed, massive toughness, tons of wounds, gained extra wounds when it killed stuff.
    Unsurprisingly, it was completely unbeatable without strength D, which I don't bring because I'm sporting.

It was definitely a change of pace as nothing I had could scratch it with any degree of reliability. Still, I only lost by a single victory point (15-16), so the game must have been fairly evenly matched. I'd get fed up with facing that thing regularly but for a one off it was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cadianshock View Post
    For me its about the narrative of the fight, the characters and the why. A Titan or Super Heavy (to a lesser extent) doesn't really feed that requirement for me
    Hmm. Maybe it would help if people made their superheavies into characters more? Rather than just painting it up as a tank, only bigger. Having a characterful tank commander modelled, creating some of your own fluff, and so on ...

Veteran-Sergeant

I have to disagree. 40k is a galaxy size battle field, with fighting occurring on scales from entire sectors down to personal combat. Just because you prefer fighting in a parking lot does not mean that the rest of us aren't fighting for the entire city block.

SJ

Veteran-Sergeant

There's also always the possibility that the super-heavy is being ambushed, or just happened to be passing through there when an attack began on an otherwise weak location. War is not predictable.

Chapter-Master

Superheavies are just so tiresome as killing them can easily become the focal point of the game. Since 7th came out I haven't played a single pick up or event game where there wasn't a Super heavy in the opposing army. It's to the point that I would recommend '40k' be retitled to 'Baby Apocalypse'.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12