BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

They already made a live action film and for quality well it is certainly a thing that exists:

Yeah Inquisitor is so bad it's quite good. However the Navy Officer/Inquisitor is taller than the Space Marine.
    I have a blog, check it out :P - http://forthegloryofgorkandmork.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/tau-xv8-02-commander.html - just updated my blog 11/04/13

this conversation has come up before and I found out that there were several reasons for there not being a 40k movie.
    money was the main reason. to gain the capitol required thy would have to sell some of the rights to a studio/distributor which led to the second issue. this was the fact that the movie makers wanted to substantially change the IP (think Judge Dredd '95 edition) so that it didn't really look anything like 40k. also when they obtained the rights to make the lord of the rings franchise material they found out that they didn't infrastructure to deal with the demand during the movies fad phase when they were released. so having set up the infrastructure the movies fell out of fashion and sales dropped but they still had the infrastructure in place that was now largely redundant.

so in summary
    1> money. the cost of making a movie is substantially more than even their biggest profit making year.
    2> the studios that were interested wanted to modify it so far out of whack that it would most likely be main stream rubbish and unrecognisable from the original product
    3> they are aware that the popularity will boom during the movies releases but plummet when the next big thing comes along which causes it's own problems.

this was from a guy who was quite high up in the company at the time.

Chapter-Master

Right. It's too much money for GW to make on their own, they don't want to surrender IP rights to allow someone else tom ake the film, and 40k isn't nearly mainstream enough to have anyone important enough to make a film coming to GW with a deal they would be happy with.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

Making a movie goes either one of two ways; failure and it harms the brand or success and GW is forced to expand beyond a Model/Book company. If they are forced to expand into a new, bigger realm it goes one of two ways: Failure or Success.

Like imagine there is such a demand that companies are banging down the door to make Space Marine figures... so then GW has another company making models, that are more poseable, come already painted and they start to beat GW at their own game.

All throughout reading HH I thought that it needs to be made into an Anime Series. Sci fi costs a ton to do live action and make look good. Making an Anime series could help GW expand in Japan. The audience can handle the extreme amount of violence, and they have a geek culture that would eat it up. When they get hooked on the Anime, they'll be so hungry for more with the only option being actually picking up models... and selling their soul.
    "There's no use permitting some prophet of doom to wipe all your smiles away!"

Quote Originally Posted by son_of_volmer View Post
    Making a movie goes either one of two ways; failure and it harms the brand or success and GW is forced to expand beyond a Model/Book company. If they are forced to expand into a new, bigger realm it goes one of two ways: Failure or Success.

Like imagine there is such a demand that companies are banging down the door to make Space Marine figures... so then GW has another company making models, that are more poseable, come already painted and they start to beat GW at their own game.

All throughout reading HH I thought that it needs to be made into an Anime Series. Sci fi costs a ton to do live action and make look good. Making an Anime series could help GW expand in Japan. The audience can handle the extreme amount of violence, and they have a geek culture that would eat it up. When they get hooked on the Anime, they'll be so hungry for more with the only option being actually picking up models... and selling their soul.

You, sir, might be on to something. a Horus Heresy Anime series would be freakin fantastic! They would have unlimited possibility with the Warp in drawn form, specially effects...... that might be an independent project worth pursuing, to present to GW as a 'Hey, we can do this, it's awesome, let us produce this through you!" (whomever takes this idea and runs with it, I want 10% LOL)

I see Gotthammer posted Inquisitor, above. There was also a film called Damnatus that I believe was GW sponsored, but in German for some reason. It's been forever since I've seen it, but it was rogue-trader era, IIRC.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    They already made a live action film and for quality well it is certainly a thing that exists:

"The BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDD D"

this **** is ****ing incredible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12