BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default A one point model?

So I've been thinking: 'Nid swarm armies are pretty much a thing of the past. It's simply not cost effective. That gave me an idea.

Giving the 'Nids a one point model, called a Swarmling.

The stat line I was considering:

WS 1, BS 0, S 2, T 2, I 1, W 1, A 1, Ld 5, Sv -

Infiltrate, Unending swarm, Fragile, Instinctive behavior (feed) (plus any other standard 'nid rules)

Squad size 20-50.

Unending swarm: When a unit of Swarmlings is completely destroyed, another unit of equal size enters ongoing reserves.

Fragile: Almost any blow that connects with a Swarmling is likely to be lethal. All failed wounds against Swarmlings must be rerolled.

Thoughts?

Veteran-Sergeant

That's bloody genius!
    "Kill them, my children, but make it slow..."

Brother-Captain

Basic termy model, or ripper bases?

I could see using 10 mm bases as well for something.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by lobster-overlord View Post
    Basic termy model, or ripper bases?

I could see using 10 mm bases as well for something.
    Probably a basic model. 10 mm bases might be a good way to go too.

Of course, since this is more or less at the "do people think this is a good idea" stage there's nothing remotely set in stone about this.

Solid idea overall, plus, having lots of individually based models makes for a more satisfying hoard than swarm bases like Rippers do. One small suggestion on this rule;
    Quote Originally Posted by Fueldrop View Post
    Fragile: Almost any blow that connects with a Swarmling is likely to be lethal. All failed wounds against Swarmlings must be rerolled.
    Mandating that (usually) 1/6 of hits be re-rolled would significantly slow down play for models that would be taken in such great numbers. I'd advise tweaking it to "Fragile: Any successful Strength 4 or greater hit against this model Wounds automatically."

As for bases, going smaller than 15mm might become awkward to handle. Since they're have no Save and would need to be quick and easy to paint, I suppose the model would have no/very little carapace to paint, just flesh.
    Last edited by Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer; 06-06-2015 at 11:26 PM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer View Post
    Solid idea overall, plus, having lots of individually based models makes for a more satisfying hoard than swarm bases like Rippers do. One small suggestion on this rule;
    Mandating that (usually) 1/6 of hits be re-rolled would significantly slow down play for models that would be taken in such great numbers. I'd advise tweaking it to "Fragile: Any successful Strength 4 or greater hit against this model Wounds automatically."
    While I do like the idea of wounds automatically for S 4+, the initial reason I went with rerolls is so that IG, poisoned weapons ect could reliably mow these guys down in big, satisfying volleys. Maybe combining the two, so S 4+ weapons automatically wound and everything else rerolls?

One strength of this modified rule is that it means that small armies with guns that are, in the fluff, supposed to be devastating (EG space marine tactical squads) will tear massive, impressive-looking chunks out of the unit with every volley and feel like total badasses. Likewise, in close combat space marines will be smashing swarmlings to paste left and right but will slowly be worn down by sheer weight of numbers unless their allies can take out the synapse creatures nearby, at which point the battle will turn very quickly.

What I really like about the idea of Swarmlings is they allow for massive cinematic waves of 'Nids to run in and die to the enemy while not taking points away from the big scary monsters that every 'Nid army should have as a backbone. It also gives the other player something that they can kill en mass, always a satisfying feeling, and then the dead squads are replaced by another swarm coming in from the flanks (Infiltrate gives outflank ) to really give the feel of an endless swarm encircling the defenders.

Given the design principle is to make a very cinematic unit that's both fun to play and fun to play against, would a rule like "Spray and Pray: Overwatch attacks against Swarmlings are made at +1 ballistic skill to standard overwatch" be too much, or would it add to the whole feel that however many you kill, there are more coming?

EDIT: altered wording on proposed "Spray and Pray" rule to avoid ambiguity. Am not simply making it "Overwatch is made at BS 2" because I want it to stack with other abilities that alter overwatch effectiveness.
    Last edited by Fueldrop; 06-07-2015 at 12:03 AM.

First-Captain

The potential for abuse is huge but I really like the idea, I'd make Fragile say: "Any successful hits automatically wound a unit with this Special Rule" to speed this up, at T2 with a reroll most things are wounding it, and the idea of them locking up units in CC when they're fearless thanks to synapse and the enemy just can't put out enough wounds is scary

I'd argue against buffing the opponent's overwatch - considering the increasing amount of overwatch-buff abilities out there, you start to risk a unit's overwatch being superior to its normal shooting.

I'd be down for fragile just being an auto-wound, albeit with a caveat of "Any successful hit against this model which could inflict a Wound, Wounds automatically." - just to stop stuff like Markerlights killing them.

"If successfully hit by a model or a weapon with a S-value of 2 or higher, a model with the Fragile rule suffers one wound without having to roll to wound, unless a roll is required for a special rule to take effect."

no re-roll required and should have a nice flow to in-game

Sweet Jesus imagine the movement phases...
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast