BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    Sweet Jesus imagine the movement phases...
    Let's see. 100 points and two troops choices gets you 100 models. Plenty of cannon fodder there. Floods of little critters scurrying around the feet of the monstrous creatures feels right for the army. Granted, it'll take a while to move them all, but you've got all day right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fueldrop View Post
    Let's see. 100 points and two troops choices gets you 100 models. Plenty of cannon fodder there. Floods of little critters scurrying around the feet of the monstrous creatures feels right for the army. Granted, it'll take a while to move them all, but you've got all day right?
    Not normally, no. Plus it defeats the main advantage of <500pt games, (speed.) It's a cool idea mind, but it'd get so very tedious so very quickly, shovelling models off the table and swarming them up. I can see it being fun now and then, but not as a regular thing.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    Not normally, no. Plus it defeats the main advantage of <500pt games, (speed.) It's a cool idea mind, but it'd get so very tedious so very quickly, shovelling models off the table and swarming them up. I can see it being fun now and then, but not as a regular thing.
    This is a valid point, and it's also a very good point for tournaments. I still think that 'Nids should have an option like this, as it fits thematically, but I'd suggest that a gentleman's agreement not to use them in small games would quickly become necessary. (much like taking 2 squads of rangers, a bare bones autarch, and a wraithknight in a 500 point game will probably get you blacklisted).

Battle-Brother

It's a good idea in theory but would be ripe with abuses in practice. Take 3x full size units and spread them all into a line in front of your army, place venomthropes behind them, gain instant cover save for your entire advancing army.

Horde nids exist, they're just terrible as you've got to run gaunts, and lots of them. I'll agree that thematically, nids are most likely one of the hardest armies to portray in a 2k game but I just can't see a unit like this being any more than a beer and pretzels thing like the old VDR or the special warlord chart that came out a while back in 6th.

Brother-Captain

Eh, just sounds like it would get annoying and take up too much space.

I would rather just make termagants, hormagaunts and rippers better, it's silly to make a new unit when there are already units that are supposed to fill the role. I still take termagants and hormagaunts because I like to, but in terms of what is actually better gargoyles are superior to both almost all of the time.

"If successfully hit by a model or a weapon with a S-value of 2 or higher, a model with the Fragile rule suffers one wound without having to roll to wound, unless a roll is required for a special rule to take effect."

If that is the case then what about poisoned weapons? eg. splinter rifle is S-1?

Librarian

this might be the time for movement trays to be used in 40k, or perhaps magentized big ovals?

Isnt this just ripper swarms?

I never understood why people dont play those more....

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by sfshilo View Post
    Isnt this just ripper swarms?

I never understood why people dont play those more....
    [url]http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Tyranid-Ripper-Swarm-Brood[/url]

14 dollars a pop or you have to mine lots and lots and lots of sprues, by the time you've built two army boxes you have enough to make a few swarms even the fancies that can shoot. I personally used to use them a great deal but then eventually cut them out to enhance gameplay speed...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12