BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Scout

Default Cottman GW Store Whereabouts; FYI

Hello all,

I wanted to post and let you know what I found out about the GW store on Cottman Ave. during a visit there Friday night:

The store is located at the address given on the GW website, but it's a bit tricky to find unless you're familiar with the layout of the complex. The new location has a small storefront, next door to the Jannie's (sp?) asian food place. The store does not face out onto Cottman and is pretty darned hard to see from the road.

The way that we found it was to go down Large St. and hook right around the shopping center. Hook back around toward Cottman and find a spot to park. The store is there, and they told us they should have a lit sign up within 2 weeks.

Edit: Check maps.google.com and enter "40.049464,-75.061898" into the "Search Maps" field for an arrow pointing directly at the storefront.

They seemed to be a bit hurting for business and were pretty displeased about the website's claim that the 13th was the opening celebration, since they were apparently open since the 4th. At any rate, get in there and check the place out. It's going to be a bit of a shocker for people who used to hang out at the Mills location, but I'll leave that those parties to check the location out and see what I mean. For better or for worse, they're there and they are loaded up on models, so get in there and check it out.

-Warlock Engineer Stickabee
    Last edited by Stickabee; 02-14-2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Additional Information Added

Well, that's about a hundred feet from the grocery store I shop at. It is also closer than, and most importantly not IN, Franklin Mills. I'll definitely check it out when I go grocery shopping tomorrow.

Question: do you know if it's staffed by the same folks from the old FM store? They could be a little... GW-y, if you know what I mean.

Scout

We went over again this evening and the place was hellishly crowded, which is no surprise as it's an even more closet sized store than the FM location. Antonio is the still the manager there, and the other real heavy set guy is also on hand, but I think those're the only two left. I know the nerdy middle aged fella with the glasses from FM is gone, as is the grey-haired guy. Names would be nice I know, but the hard pushing sales types REALLY put me off any interest in knowing them more personally than I have to... Yeah though, I know exactly what you mean...

Veteran-Sergeant

How many tables?

Sitting in Lonely Mountain swapping stories and recipes with Dain.

Scout

There are now 3 gaming tables, down from the six there were at FM. There was a game of 40K and a game of Fantasy going this evening, and the third table seemed to be essentially for leaning against while you spectated. The days of the big weekend gatherings are certainly gone, but it is what it is.

Veteran-Sergeant

Well GW wanted to save money on rent.

Unless they get people to play on 4x4 sections of the 4x8 tables (smaller games) you basically will have people waiting all day to play. I guess getting there at opening with your opponent is priority one.

I wonder when Matt will be getting his store, and where it will be, and how big it will be. They really need a bunker in Philly because the lack on LHS's that support the game.

Sitting in Lonely Mountain swapping stories and recipes with Dain.

Scout

Matt, now that you mentioned his name, was talking about getting his store in a few months. I've long since stopped paying much attention to this sort of thing from the mouths of GW types, but maybe it's food for thought.

You're DEFINITELY not going to want to show up at the store late in the evening, like we did, if you're looking to get a game in. We weren't and it was still an unpleasant visit. The real problem I have with the store is not the reduction of tables, but the area around them being used as retail space. I understand the "why" of the thing, but it still isn't pleasant to squeeze between the spectators and the boxes on the shelves.