BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Look at the abstraction built into even shooting the Lascannons. Why is it that the chance to hit a single small infantry model is the same as a building sized titan?
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Chapter-Master

I think you're selling yourself short or overestimating the complexity of the toilet Yorkie

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Oh, I'm really not.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Veteran-Sergeant

I've never been in the army, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that standard training does not include "Everyone throw your grenades at once!"

As an armchair general with a great deal of experience in war movies, I can't say I can recall that many instances of whole platoons (aka 50 man guard squads) all grenading a target at once.

Finally, my standard issue Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer (Damocles Gulf Edition) makes no reference to such a tactic, so it's probably heretical.

Chapter-Master

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

Hasn't someone here heard of synchronized grenade tossing?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    Bestest storybook ending ever!
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post

Bestest storybook ending ever!
    *Sings* The treads on the land raider crush the heretics,
    crush the heretics,
    crush the heretics.
    The treads on the land raider crush the heretics,
    all day long!

If assuming that Imperial Guard are based on WW1 (possibly British infantry) then it would be correct to assume that only a few would have had training in grenade use.

Also, unless defending a protected position against a horde charging in very open ground, mass grenades are a bad idea.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Fueldrop View Post
    I've never been in the army, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that standard training does not include "Everyone throw your grenades at once!"

As an armchair general with a great deal of experience in war movies, I can't say I can recall that many instances of whole platoons (aka 50 man guard squads) all grenading a target at once.

Finally, my standard issue Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer (Damocles Gulf Edition) makes no reference to such a tactic, so it's probably heretical.
    as an armchair general I still think you are somewhat correct, I doubt most unit commanders would ever order everyone to throw a frag at once simply based on the risk factor, take a look at videos of grenade training fails... thankfully most range-masters know how to take someone to ground or to cover in the event of a real stinker, but a whole unit in close proximity could all become royally screwed if even one grenade isn't properly thrown/gets dropped/hits something within cover and bounces back/isn't primed properly and gets tossed back before ignition by a wary opponent/etc. Thankfully in the modern era there's a lot of specific support weapons/primary weapon additions to launch grenades as a dedicated function using concussion grenades and not timed grenades which gives greater range/accuracy and saftey but the usefulness of essentially having a handheld bomb can be crucial in building to building fighting. which is where I think the 40k rules are lacking,

in the same way that a model can "sticky" a vehicle using a certain balitic skill to deliver powerful hit with crack/melta gren/bomb during the assault phase, I think a model should be able to get a well placed grenade into a building/cover during the assualt phase. perhaps similar to the vehicle attack except instead of a back armour hit lets give the model the ability to place the grenade anywhere up to 3" away, unless the hit is failed in which the blast/hit is centered on the model itself. this happens at normal initiative (in this case 3), then charge on in and always throws attacks at initiative 1, no modification allowed. seems like a fair deal.
    Last edited by Arkhan Land; 06-08-2015 at 01:53 AM.

Chapter-Master

and don't forget the instructions for throwing a grenade. take a firm grip, pull out the pin, and throw it...
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast