BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Kit question - Knight Castigator

So my cash cannon is about to be reloaded, and I'm tempted by a Knight Castigator.

Only issue is that I'm not very confident working with resin kits, and I particularly struggle with fiddly bits, which end up glued to me, rather than the kit.

Has anyone built one? If so, was it especially challenging?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I've got one and I love it. In fact I love it so much I don't want to put in on a table because it will inevitably explode. But you want to know how to build one, so here goes.

It was a fairly challenging kit to build. I wasn't very brave so I stuck with a fairly static pose. I'm getting the flamer version at Gencon and it'll have a more dynamic pose. But beyond that, I built in stages. As in, I built the legs in stages before sticking them together with the pelvic piece. Most of the fiddly bits are in the legs and feet, so once you get past that stage you are pretty much done with little pieces. But the hardest part by far was assembling the gun. You have to stick the gun, the arm, and the ammo feed together. There are two attachment points and the combined weight of the parts is a lot. I had to build an entire support assembly before I could glue together those pieces. If I did it again I'd pin the entire thing.

To sum up, I wouldn't start this kit until you get more confident with resin. Get some experience and then give it a try. It's an amazing kit but it requires a lot of time and effort to pull off. Good luck!

Brother-Sergeant

I actually own 2 of each of the forge world knights, and I feel like they are easier to assemble then the plastic GW ones. And far more posable
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150607_172400.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	14582  
    Last edited by kharne690; 06-13-2015 at 01:51 AM.
    Current armys: World Eaters, Dark Eldar, Grey Knights, Blood Angels, Orks, Crons, White Scars, Tau, 30k Death Guard, Iyandan, Deathwing

I'm up to four Knights at the moment, with the two FW hybrid kits which were lovely to build (but the ammo feeds can sod right off!)

Guess I should put off the Cerastus chassis until I've built up me skills somewhat.

Cheers for the help guys
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Sergeant

The biggest trick with building the castigator is build the legs in whatever pose you want, then build the body, put the ammo bin and ammo feed on the body, attach the gun to the ammo feed, then build the arm to connect the gun to body.
    Just go slow and test fit everything before gluing and you should be fine.
    Current armys: World Eaters, Dark Eldar, Grey Knights, Blood Angels, Orks, Crons, White Scars, Tau, 30k Death Guard, Iyandan, Deathwing