BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran-Sergeant

Well, he's decided to look into some other armies after reading on the interwebs. Necrons have caught his eye, as have the 'Nids. DE are also on the block. I've suggested that he borrow armies from some local players who already own them and have a couple of small games to get the feel before buying anything, and that if possible he should look at what considers Chaos Space Marines allies so that he can still use his existing models.

Battle-Brother

Here's my advice:

Research. Research. Research.

I got into 40k about 7 years ago. I started with Necrons. I played them, a lot, and ammased quite the collection. But as I played them I slowly became more and more uninterested in them, and this set on very quick. Then the 6th edition codex rolled around...I got some of the new units and my love for the ay was reinvigorated. I kept playing my Crons but I became more and more uninterested. Shortly thereafter I dropped the army. Didn't help that I lost or broke quite a few of my models over that time, but I was young then and had no clue how to best store my models. But that's besides the point...

After I got rid of my Crons I wanted to keep playing 40k, but never really had any clue which army to play. So I started talking to people at my FLGS, and doing a lot of browsing online, reading articles and looking at models. Took me a while, but I finally found a fit: Imperial Guard. Even better, they had just gotten a new codex: Astra Militarum, and the game had just entered 7th edition. While I haven't gotten a lot, and have been sidetracked by Adeptus Mechanics, trading card games, and the Hobbit SBG as of recently, I love the way my Mechanized Guard army works. I only have about a platoon and a few tanks, but that it's a blast to play. But I never would have been playing them, or the game for that matter, had I not done a profound amount of research into the various armies and seen which one I liked best. It helps that I also have a better win-loss-tie rating with them as well.

And if your friend can playtest some armies without having to buy swathes of models, even better. There arent many people in my area who would allow that. But if he has the opportunity, he should definitely take it; its a great way to learn an army, as well as see if it fits your playstyle. It's how I switched from Mordor/Eastern Kingdoms, in Hobbit SBG, to Angmar. I watched a friend play the army, and then asked if I could take it for a spin, and it was a blast.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123