BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    Looks awesome
    +1

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

I just discovered this, and want to give you a hearty "&^%# you" for destroying my happiness with my kitchen table as a game room. This is absolutely amazing, congrats, kudos, and may you enjoy the absolute heck out of it. Looks like a ton of work and even more money, and its super impressive.
    Check out the blog of unceasing fun, defiantworkshop.blogspot.com!

Thank you very much - I appreciate all your superlatively kind words.

Brother-Sergeant

I will also respond to this with mucho back slapping. This is my dream to be able to have a space that I can have my gaming table, miniatures and gigantic He-Man collection displayed in. This is just brilliant. I'll be watching this thread closely! Love your woodwork btw!
    There is no time for peace... Only...eternal...WAR...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf of Winter View Post
    I will also respond to this with mucho back slapping. This is my dream to be able to have a space that I can have my gaming table, miniatures and gigantic He-Man collection displayed in. This is just brilliant. I'll be watching this thread closely! Love your woodwork btw!
    Thanks! I'm on hiatus for a few months but I'm certainly not done. I'll continue to post as I make progress.

Scout

I just stumbled on this thread, but your game room work is an inspiration to us all!

So, it’s been quite a long time since my last post about my game room, but rest assured, I have been making slow, steady progress since then. Having finished all the other ground-level cabinetry and shelving, the obvious last step for the north wall was those on the bottom-left of the wall, highlighted here:

I had stayed true to my original design above up until now, but I needed to make a change. I decided that I would replace the lower-left cabinets with a set of comic-book drawers.

The first thing I did was create the inside box of each drawer. I used much cheaper pine wood in lieu of oak since they’d spend most of their time hidden away. I used a router to create a groove along one edge of the boards:

Then I cut the boards and, using my Kreg-jig, wrapped them around a plywood bottom which free-floated in the groove I had routed into the boards. I made the drawer backs tall to hold up the comic books, but I left the fronts short since they would eventually be covered with a full-height oak drawer front:

Next I made the box to hold the drawers. At the same time I made the cabinet that would be tucked into the corner of the room using the same techniques I used with my previous cabinets:

It turns out my walls are not perfectly perpendicular. When I combined that with my imperfect woodworking skills, the result was that my new corner cabinet didn’t fit perfectly with my comic book drawers:

My imperfect solution was to jam some wood into the gap (fig. 1 & fig. 2) and fill the rest with wood-filler (fig. 3). It’s not very professional of me, but once it was stained (fig. 4) and finished it actually isn’t that noticeable:

Now it was time to put in my drawers. I would eventually have shelves on the countertop shown above that will hold my “nice” comic books…things like trade paperbacks, large-format hardbacks, special editions, etc. These drawers however are for holding my reading comics. These are mostly from my youth including single-issue runs of 1980s avengers, G.I. Joe, 1990s Spiderman, and Image comics (among others). I was basically trying to create fancier versions of those white cardboard boxes they use at comic book stores:

Once I had organized all my books into the drawers I slid them into the box I had built:

I used the new corner cabinet to hold gaming components that aren’t as pretty to look at and therefore don’t belong on the shelf – things like tackle-boxes of miniatures and roll-up game maps. The smaller drawers to the right of my comics would hold smaller gaming components like dice and small card games.

…and with that I had finished all of the ground-level cabinetry on my north wall. All that was left was building the shelves that would go on top. I’ll leave that for another post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00small.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	19479   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01small.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	19480   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02small.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	19481   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03small.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	19482   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04small.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	19483  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05small.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	19484   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06small.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	19485   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07small.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	19486  

In my last post I finished the ground-level cabinetry and drawers for the north wall. All that was left was the book shelves that would sit on the counter tops (highlighted above).

First, in the northwest corner, I built shelves to hold my fancier display-quality comic books:

I built them using the same techniques I used previously on my board game shelves. As far as organization, I went with alphabetical by author’s last name from upper-left to lower right, and I put larger format books on their side on the bottom.

With my new fancy reading chair, this made a pretty cool comic-reading corner. I have spent many long autumn afternoons enjoying it:

Next I built the shelves in the northeast corner:

From the top shelf down, these shelves hold: source books for RPGs I no longer play, large-format nonfiction books (mostly military reference from my youth), source books for RPGs I currently play, and finally an entire shelf devoted to Warhammer 40K including my White Dwarf collection, rule books, and codexes.

Having the entire north wall finished has been a very satisfying accomplishment for me, for many reasons including being able to see what the entire game room might look like someday:

My next step on this project will be starting the west wall (the left side of the above picture). After that I hope to make the cabinet doors and drawer fronts to close up all those open storage spaces.

In the meantime, here’s another angle of the room for you:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00small.jpg 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	19487   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04small.jpg 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	19488   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01small.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	19489   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05small.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	19490   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02small.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	19491  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03small.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	19492  

Chapter-Master

That is some quality work there.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123