BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Threaded View

Default Garage to Gameroom Remodel

It started a few months ago. My wife and I were house-hunting, and when I was looking around the garage in one of the listings she says to me, “This would make a great game room and studio for you.”

I was floored.

OF COURSE, I’d love to have a huge garage-sized area to call my own, but I’d never ask for it myself. It just seemed too greedy, but there it was. She had made the offer, and it didn’t take long before a major part of the house-hunting was me making sure that the garage was big enough to serve as my future game room.

We finally settled on a house, and I have begun planning. I have many inspirations to pull from. One was this guy:

Who made an amazing game room for table-top wargaming and miniature painting. You can read all about his room at this link:

[url]https://wargamingworkshop.wordpress.com/gaming/wargaming-room/[/url]

His room is amazing, and I couldn’t design one better for miniature wargaming, but I want a room that isn’t so specialized. I want to be able to play regular boardgames too which would be served better with a lower table and comfortable chairs instead of stools. In the end I want a room that will allow me to:

play boardgames
    play large table-top miniature games.
    read and store comic books
    display miniatures
    display weapons (more on this later)
    display instruments
    assemble & paint miniatures & models
    watch movies
    play PC computer games
    record music

So I need a much more general purpose nerd room, but I think it will all be possible. I’ll be starting with a two-car garage (about 25′ x 25′). As a garage it seems modest-sized, but if you can use your imagination and picture it as an interior room you realize how huge it is. An average bedroom can measure 12 x 12 feet, and this would be 4 times the square footage!

It looks like this:

The above image is facing east into the garage with the door open.

…and here you are looking back the other way towards the closed door (facing Southwest).

So with that as a starting point, I want to pull off the look of an old English study. Something along the lines of this:

Okay…maybe that’s a little too over-the-top posh. I don’t exactly plan on sipping brandy, smoking cigars, and discussing the situation in the African colonies, but this is the basic overall style I kind of want to emulate, even if my room will be a bit more modest and contemporary.

With that in mind, it’s time to find a contractor and see what I need to do next. Wish me luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	game-room-south-view1.jpg 
Views:	3762 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	14630   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	game-room-east-view1.jpg 
Views:	3342 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	14631   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	General Style.jpg 
Views:	11339 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	14634   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01small.jpg 
Views:	2638 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	14664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02small.jpg 
Views:	2732 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	14665  

Last edited by ashhaas; 06-17-2015 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Images are too small.