BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    First-Captain

Default Eldar tips

While I may not be able to take credit for tourney or 'ard boyz wins (I don't tourney-play much--mostly because I'm more of a player and less of a painter) I have been playing Eldar for 20 years.

Gyah. 20 years...

Okay, back to point--the first and foremost lesson to learn when playing eldar is this:

You must, MUST dictate the pace of the battle. You will almost always be outnumbered, but no other army has the flexibility and mobility of the eldar. Regardless of how badly you are outgunned, if you make your opponent react to your plans rather than acting on his own--you are well on your way to victory.

As for Scorps vs. Banshees--take your pick. Personally, I prefer Scorpions over Banshees and have since the early 90's. Mostly due to the fluff and the sculpts. (Less said about 3rd ed Scorpion sculpts the better...)

Banshees have a slight advantage over Scorps against MEQ. Scorps are more durable, however, and can have an ungodly number of attacks in cc--and I"m more a fan of the "law of large numbers."

Harlequins are great, but fire magnets. 5+ invuln is okay, but not great, and flamers just plain hurt.

Experiment with what works for you--and definitely don't feel you need to take "mandatory units." The Eldar 'dex is specialized enough that you can customize your army the way you like.

Cheers,

S.

Chaplain

Wonder where you got that idea...

Also, [URL="http://raptor1313.blogspot.com/2009/08/eldar-elite-melee-choices-evaluated.html"]this article[/URL] could be useful.
    Opinions are like aresholes. Get yours outta my face.. MindWar FTW. Bald and Screaming. Couple others...;) Learn something.

Veteran-Sergeant

"Harlequins are great, but fire magnets. 5+ invuln is okay, but not great, and flamers just plain hurt."

Its true after the first time you Harliquins wipe some rather expensive unit, they draw more fire then you can believe. but thats not a bad thing either. WIth thier ability to move thru terrain, and the shadow seers veil of tears. Most likely they will get across the table and eat something. I try to use them as a counter punch. Find the biggest badest unit my oponnent has and manuver close. When he jumps one of my guardians then the Harliquins pounce. between fleet and move thru cover........... Shadow seers are a must, death jesters for fun if you have the points, troupe leader if you have the points, pwr sword is usefull addition.
    Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. Armed Forces don't have that problem. R Regan

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Majorcrash View Post
    "Harlequins are great, but fire magnets. 5+ invuln is okay, but not great, and flamers just plain hurt."

Its true after the first time you Harliquins wipe some rather expensive unit, they draw more fire then you can believe. but thats not a bad thing either. WIth thier ability to move thru terrain, and the shadow seers veil of tears. Most likely they will get across the table and eat something. I try to use them as a counter punch. Find the biggest badest unit my oponnent has and manuver close. When he jumps one of my guardians then the Harliquins pounce. between fleet and move thru cover........... Shadow seers are a must, death jesters for fun if you have the points, troupe leader if you have the points, pwr sword is usefull addition.
    I couldn't agree more re: SS and TL--I never leave home without them--and frequently add in the DJ--because I'm old-school like that. ;P I've just experienced that the moment the Harlies hit the field, they attract fire (mostly pie plates) like mad. Fortunately they're 5+ invuln, and not 5+ cover...

Though it is a bit sad that the sight of a Death Jester no longer brings out whimpering and cowering from my opponents...

Veteran-Sergeant

I love eldar so much

Veteran-Sergeant

sometimes in the dark recsess of my soul, I remember the fun that was a solitare. kiss with neural blaster, 3+ invul (i think it was) Take a blood thirster down in one round.
    Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. Armed Forces don't have that problem. R Regan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123