BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default equipting chaptermasters/hqs of the space marines question

I'm looking to order some bits to make a marine hq, most likely a captain/chapter master in power armor. My question is since I haven't played 40k in so long is about how to gear him.

I like close combat with my characters if possible and im aware CC is "weak" atm. i've taken note of how weapons have AP values now and S4 just wont cut it i imagine so i was curious if thunderhammers were pretty mandatory for HQ choices when possible. I just wish to know before hand as to not waste 40 hours painting a centerpiece that functions "poorly".

I liked the skyhammer formation as well as the transport formation (forgot name) with free transports and as a fan of the color green the basic core dark angels formation looks fun. Especially putting a jump pack/wings on an HQ in an assault squad.

A popular one thats emerging (or at least one im running) in my Iron Hands army is....

Chapter Master - Bike, Gorgons Chain, Power Fist/Lightning Claw, Artificer Armor - 255

Expensive yes, but effective. There are two main advantages to the Iron Hands build. Feel No Pain, and the fact that their version of the Shield Eternal, isnt a Shield, so it doesnt replace a combat weapon allowing the Fist/Claw combo.

On Offence you get 6 attacks on the Charge at either S4/AP3/I5 with rerolls, or S8/AP2/I1 depending on what the situation needs as well as a Hammer of Wrath hit.
    On Defence its T5 with a 2+/3++/5+FNP, Eternal Warrior and as Iron Hands it also gets 'It Will Not Die'.

Its a little cookie cutter and alot of people are running it but thats because its looking effective. If youre not running Iron Hands, take the Shield Eternal and pick whichever Weapon you think is most suitable.

Chapter-Master

A chapter master on a bike with a thunderhammer/stormshield and artificer armor, with one of the relics that grants Eternal Warrior, has long been a staple of Space Marines.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    A chapter master on a bike with a thunderhammer/stormshield and artificer armor, with one of the relics that grants Eternal Warrior, has long been a staple of Space Marines.
    Admittedly yes though its now leaning towards Iron Hands, if not for anything but the CAD Leading the force.

Chapter-Master

In my experience, they're almost universally Shield Eternal with White Scars. And since they haven't lost Hit and Run, I don't see that changing.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.