BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thunderwolf conversion

Inspiered by a thread I read a couple of months ago I finally decided to do my own thunderwolf conversions...

There are plenty of wolf model to start from but in the end I opted for the: High Elves Lion present in the [URL="http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=cat1300297&aId=1000013"]High Elves Chariot[/URL].

Let's start the description of the involved steps:

1) The two lions are quite small compared to how the thunderwolves should be, so the first step will be to stretch the model a bit.

I have cut all legs from the body. Then drilled each leg in order to prepare the support for the iron thread that will support the model. The body has been drilled as well

2) Short iron threads are glued in the prepared holes and all the parts are then mounted back together. Notice that for the head I have used a small plastic element coming from the supporting blister

The other end of the threads is glued to small plastic bits. This allowed me to move each part independently and choose the best pose for the model.

3) The body parts are glued in place and the model placed on its final plastic base. Some glue is then used to keep the model in place and self standing.

4) I used an initial bit of green stuff to cover the iron thread of the legs and the neck. These part will be covered again in a second stage.
    Notice the difference in size form the original lion to the current one.

5) The wolf guard leg are cut into thre piece, both the legs and the hip are drilled and an iron thread is used to keep them fixed.

6) Second green stuff step. This time after applying the stuff I have used a knife to model the wolf fur and a small bit to stretch the wolf nose

7) Some green stuff is also used to remodel the wolf tail (after clipping the feline one). Moreover I have drilled the wolf mouth in order to fix the harness. For this model I have used some plastic bits coming from the blister.

8) Finally the wolf guard is glued in place and the final pose achieved!

Comments are welcome... I will post the final models after painting them! Stay tuned!

The result is quite impressive indeed, it might do with more GS fur all around, but surely a commendable result.
    [url]http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m500485a_99110101430_SpaceWolvesCanisMain_873x627. jpg[/url]

At first I was sceptical, but it looks brilliant! Perhaps i'm close to seeing the first unit of thunderwolf cavalry I've seen online that actualyl looks great?!

Veteran-Sergeant

This is an excellent conversion, but for me the leaders/straps coming from the wolf's mouth are distracting and break the flow of the wolf's body shape. I would consider getting rid of them all together.

I would love to see the completed version. Nice work.

Goodbye
    Last edited by Aldramelech; 03-18-2010 at 01:25 AM.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

it looks excellent, if u look at the cover for the upcoming prospero burns novel, there wolves had the beard that the lion came with so u could've left it on there. other wise gpood job, cant wait to see it finished

That is just great. Agreed with a previous poster in that this is the first good SW Cav' I've seen online.

Thanks a lot,
    I am currently painting two of them... and as suggested I have removed the harness. I will probably try to add a thinner version after the painting stage.

I will post new pics when I finish this step.

NB: the idea of using lions was not mine, although I cannot find the original post...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast