BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: What is happening to LotR SBG?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's dead.

34 40.00%
  • It's dying.

26 30.59%
  • WotR is just being a glory hog for the time being.

15 17.65%
  • It's still going strong, and ChaosLord127 is just in a non-enthusiastic area.

10 11.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by iamaddj View Post
    But at the end of the day it comes down to one simple fact (that will piss people off) WoTR is 100 times better then SBG every was. And that sells.
    I do have more fun playing WotR than i do SBG, ill admit that. I just dont think its dead, its still kicking because it was also a great system. I think its dead from GWs point of view, but not from hobbyists. Although I think if something isn't done to get SBG back on track soon it will die.

Walrus Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Knight Of Rhun View Post
    I do have more fun playing WotR than i do SBG, ill admit that. I just dont think its dead, its still kicking because it was also a great system. I think its dead from GWs point of view, but not from hobbyists. Although I think if something isn't done to get SBG back on track soon it will die.
    To me that is like saying Rouge Trader or 5 edition Fantasy is still alive, that they are good systems and should still stick around. They suck, they are dead, and the SBG will soon follow. At the end of the day I think it is much better if the SBG dies. I would rather have all the LoTR players consolidated in to one game, one game with a good, large, undivided player base, rather then a divide between the SBG and WoTR. Not only is this better for the players and the player base it makes it twice as easy for GW to support and do things for. Over all this is much better for the game and the community as a whole.

Veteran-Sergeant

I think that the best way to have gone would have been to make WotR an expansion rather than its own game. Alas, it is not the way it is. I shall cry like a baby for thee, SBG!

Seriously though, a lot of the greatest moments from the Lord of the Rings is the small and individual acts of heroism and small events. Take Amon Hen. Probably one of the coolest parts from FotR, but it was not a huge army, it was 9 vs 100. A lot of people who might come into the hobby to try and "change history" in the lord of the rings storyline will now just be limited to large battles, such as Helm's Deep, Minas Tirith, Peleanor, the Black Gate, isengard, and Osgiliath. I know that you could reenact the other scenes as well, but would controlling the fellowship as one group be all that accurate? This might not be true though, as I haven't played WotR, but still, sad to see it go. Oh well, I guess we who possess copies of the rulebook could still play SBG. I guess as long as the models and rules are still available, and if I could just get two or more people to start it up, it won't be so bad.
    "All power... demands sacrifice..." ~ Sindri Myr

I have dreaded WotR since the first rumor of it for this very reason. Fortunately for my group SBG is still the prefered way to play. If we want to push large blocks of infantry around we play Fantasy (I know they are different systems). The joy of LotR for us is the ability to make those heroic stands and small skirmishes where every model can move on his own and make a difference...

I think the SBG is alive for two key reasons:

1. WotR simply cannot do (and does not try to do) all that anyone with an interest in LotR gaming would want to do. The LotR includes some really exciting battles, that gamers love to fight, but it includes lots of skirmishes too, which we also want to refight. WotR can't handle that scale, so SBG is safe as long as GW continue to produce the models.

2. WotR seems to have some problems. I haven't played it enough myself to be very specific, but it seems from what people write in forums that there are vague patches in the rules that dramatically alter the way the game plays depending on how you or your group decides to deal with them. Until GW FAQ the game these problems will help prevent the game taking off more. The lack of a FAQ suggests that GW is not serious about supporting this game, never mind the SBG, and that is offputting to potential players. There also seem to be balance issues with some units, but I suppose that's nothing to be surprised about.

It seems to me the best thing SBG players could do is take part in narrative campaigns (which seems to me to be the strength of the system anyway, rather than point-match style battles) that include SBG games as integral parts of the plot, along with occasional WotR games.

I'm not very keen on some of the more recent supplements for the SBG anyway - Harad and Mordor were by and large not as inspiring as I'd hoped they would be - so if WotR diverts GW from going down the 'army book/codex' route for the SBG then I think the SBG will actually benefit.

The rules system is kinda neat (you move I move ect ect kinda thing) but I just don't feel like investing in a 3rd table top game and I dont like the idea of set scenarios based off of the story.
    letsagetabitarockin!

Wait till the Hobbit comes out. Why bother doing anything new for SBG when the Hobbit will be coming out in what? 2 years from now? I am guessing we will have a new version of SBG and have it all tie in with the movie to hype it up more.

I have never read the Hobbit yet, but from what I hear it's more SBG than WotR so I guess there will be lots of scenarios we can do with the Hobbit.

Goodbye
    Last edited by Aldramelech; 03-18-2010 at 04:16 AM.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by HsojVvad View Post
    Wait till the Hobbit comes out. Why bother doing anything new for SBG when the Hobbit will be coming out in what? 2 years from now? I am guessing we will have a new version of SBG and have it all tie in with the movie to hype it up more.

I have never read the Hobbit yet, but from what I hear it's more SBG than WotR so I guess there will be lots of scenarios we can do with the Hobbit.
    I don't know the details, but that's IF and only IF GW still has the rights to Lord of the Rings and Tolken stuff by the time Hobbit comes out.

It is dying.
    In Ireland most people have bought some Lotr minis but i only know one <1> person who actually brings them to the local shop
    I think its a catch 22 really. They arent bringing enough new things out and the rules are convuluted (Those books for instance are extreamly complicated compared to the layout of the latest WFB and 40k 'dexs) So people arent interested in it.
    If they did a second edition Rules im sure more people would start playing it (Most people i know have a few models, not enough for a game but something like a nazghul and a box of easterlings)
    As it is it is just not fun compared to WFB and 40k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast