BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: What is happening to LotR SBG?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's dead.

34 40.00%
  • It's dying.

26 30.59%
  • WotR is just being a glory hog for the time being.

15 17.65%
  • It's still going strong, and ChaosLord127 is just in a non-enthusiastic area.

10 11.76%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I've never actually seen the game in the flesh, which is a real shame. It does look pretty epic!

Brother-Captain

this 5 year old thread has a better life than any middle earth based wargame from gw ever had

I still play LoTR. We have an active group in San Antonio!
    Looking for a game in the San Antonio area? You can find me here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/175757472448931/

Chapter-Master

It looks like it is dying to me, which is sad.

I wouldnt get into it, but I think it has some of GW's best plastic kits (I much prefer LOTR dwarves, and I prefer that the kits have less options/bits). As an Epic player I def feel for LOTR players and hope it doesnt end up how Epic ended up.

Brother-Captain

I agree that the sculpts are fantastic. For the plastic kits, they are some of the best GW makes all around. The perry twins designs have translated to the CAD plastic form very well. However, the game is so cumbersome that it's ridiculous.

Cumbersome? I disagree. It is one of the fastest flowing skirmish games out there!
    Looking for a game in the San Antonio area? You can find me here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/175757472448931/

Brother-Captain

granted, but I hate any game with a rulebook thicker than 1/2 inch.... ( including 40k)

First-Captain

yeah it's a dead game these days, yes we have the hobbit, but except for the battle of five armies, there really isn't that much action in it, I expect GW will have one final push for the final film and then kill the game full stop....

- - - Updated - - -

for the record I got into it with the Battle Games In Middle Earth magazine partwork that came out with GW's partnership....
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Banned

This is possibly one of the most ironic threads on the entire board.

LotR SBG is a great game, but like Mordheim, Necromunda and Space Hulk before it, it is not "core" GW Warhammer therefore it will never get full ongoing support. I also think that GW will pull support for it, just as soon as the terms of the licence for "Hobbit" related items allows. The only thing that might save it is if (god forbid) Jackson gets the opportunity to do something with the Silmarillion and early age worlds.

WotR was never a game worth playing as the characters (which everyone had to have as otherwise the massive number of figures needed was crazy expensive) were not balanced to the troop units. Players tended to maximise the character points and thus armies were nearly always fielded already "broken".
    For Massed LotR battles rules like Impetus Fantasy variant or Mayhem will give much better games.

Shame really as gaming in the JRRT world should be amongst the most rewarding pastimes in our hobby, from RPG through skirmish up to Mass Battle.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234