BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 53 of 64 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-pope View Post
    But if said big investments aren't selling, then it makes little sense to continue them. That'd just be throwing more money away.
    But was the problem with the armies or WFB as a whole? GW would be crazy to scrap millions of pounds of investment in plastic kits before seeing if the new rules boosted sales.

Empire has the most generic aesthetic and they are the ones we have rumours for the range being withdrawn. Dark Elves, Skaven and the more vampirey elements of VC I suspect will not change much either.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

I think the more recent kits can be expected to have a longer shelf-life than some of the older ones, for sure. All the End Times releases are more or less nailed-on to be Current.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

First-Captain

Yeah, what were previously poor sellers might get a new lease of life, Witch Elves were too expensive cos you needed 3 boxes? NOT ANY MORE BOYO

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    This is the particular excerpt that gives me hope.

"They are going to fully support all modes of play, and will be releasing rules to balance armies against each other. There will be narrative campaigns where your forces are picked for you for specific missions, and there will be a system for tournament players to balance lists that isn't based on model count. He did not know the specifics of this, but said it is definitely coming"

After 30 years points still never worked that great so trying some new balancing mechanic is fine by me. Honestly if they want to just say something like 'take this set of warscrolls with this quantity of models and it compares to this set/quantity from each other army, then I'm good with it.'

- - - Updated - - -

Ha! Mine are still the old ugly metal ones from early WFB and Necromunda too. The plastic kit just never captured my imagination... although I've raided it for several bitz over the years.
    Points did work, by and large. It's just a slice of the gaming population choose to blame their tools for every loss.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

you wont get a better system than points.

I am willing to try others, so long as they have some sort of balancing system for making even roughly equal forces I am happy.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'nSmurfs View Post
    The problem with points from GW's perspective is summed up by half the threads here on BOLS when something new comes out, ie. "great model, costs too many points so it's not competitive, why would you take it". GW doesn't want to give people reasons not to buy their cool new things. So here we are.
    I would add, "Great model, costs too much. No thanks." as a reason for their products not selling. No one I know ever purchased any of the idiotic plastic witch elves at $60 for 10 models. Honestly it sounds to me like the points thing was an excuse because they couldn't admit they got too greedy. JMO...

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Points did work, by and large. It's just a slice of the gaming population choose to blame their tools for every loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    you wont get a better system than points.

I am willing to try others, so long as they have some sort of balancing system for making even roughly equal forces I am happy.
    Maybe points were better in WFB. I haven't played it enough in the last 15 years to have a full opinion. But in 40k the points system has been horribly out of whack since the transition to 6th and now 7th. It's so bad and easy to exploit that I would prefer they just said , hey this formation is roughly equivalent to playing against this one and put it out of it's misery. Points could be great, and AoS has less variables which should make them more meaningful.

I would prefer a mathematically sound points system but if they're going to randomly assign them like it appears they do with 7th 40k I'd just as soon they tried something new.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by silashand View Post
    I would add, "Great model, costs too much. No thanks." as a reason for their products not selling. No one I know ever purchased any of the idiotic plastic witch elves at $60 for 10 models. Honestly it sounds to me like the points thing was an excuse because they couldn't admit they got too greedy. JMO...
    The main reason witch elves didn't sell wasn't that it was £35 for a box of gorgeous models (still cheaper than metal), it was that to field them as a unit in 8th edition you needed 30-40 of them to make it viable, because the game was ruined by massive units being far too effective.

With Age of Sigmar, there is not so much of an advantage in fielding large units of elite troops (in fact, it's often going to be better to have multiple small units when Battle Shock isn't a worry) this means people will want to take the witch elves and why i've said since they came out, they're designed for the next edition.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    Maybe points were better in WFB. I haven't played it enough in the last 15 years to have a full opinion. But in 40k the points system has been horribly out of whack since the transition to 6th and now 7th. It's so bad and easy to exploit that I would prefer they just said , hey this formation is roughly equivalent to playing against this one and put it out of it's misery. Points could be great, and AoS has less variables which should make them more meaningful.

I would prefer a mathematically sound points system but if they're going to randomly assign them like it appears they do with 7th 40k I'd just as soon they tried something new.
    Fantasy was the same, see also: any game ever with points.

Points are a good guideline but they're not the be all and end all of game balance, the FOC/Detachments/Formations are a game balancing too, as were the percentages in fantasy.

The game balanced quite well now though because units have a fixed damage output, yeah nagash might be more powerful than 16 goblins, but those 16 goblins can still wound Nagash, they wouldn't have had a hope of that before.

It just now comes down to a discussion. This isn't Warhammer Fantasy, this is a game to tell stories, it requires a bit more roleplaying.

Chapter-Master

Has anyone heard anything about the lizards? I've just read the rumor that the "new" warscrolls are really just a way for us to say goodbye to our old armies by messing around with them, and that the new armies are coming out with new looks and new style. Any word about the Lizardmen and what they're going to become?
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    Any word about the Lizardmen and what they're going to become?
    All reliable sources indicate that they will become past-tense.

Page 53 of 64 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast