BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 45 of 64 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

To answer a few concerns.
    I have now played 5 games of AoS, relatively small. We've found that not being a bell end balances the game itself. Also, the game is great fun, easy set up, nice strategy in the combat phase, and it is just more interesting to play.
    If anything, it plays more like the Hobbit than anything else.

I was talking to the manager about the gold spray, and it is literally just because it is gold. The design team at such a hard time with it, at one point they thought it might have been more viable using actual gold!

Seriously, you guys need to give the game a fair chance before you complain.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Brother-Captain

I think it's actually genius.

As a starter game it's the best I've encountered (yes anecdotal blah blah). Seriously what barrier to entry? You can literally play with the first set you buy, brilliant.

Now wether it is targetted as a beginner game for the hobby in general or for another warhammer game that will be released later on remains to be seen but either way it will get new people playing early doors for a small outlay.

As for balance I was running a few ideas around but it just occured to me "why bother" all you have to do is play against people who are at similar stage with their army as you (ask them how much they've spent on models) or decide to play with a similar number of warscrolls, life is too short for anything else.

Let's face it if as TDA points out the game has no problems if you don't behave like a bell end then guess what if you're having problems chances are you're the problem.

As for the joke rules, brilliant, I was chuckling away as I was reading them, I particulary enjoyed the screaming bell one and it's about time people were made to say Waaaagh properly. It toy soldiers kids it ain't serious it really really isn't cool but it should be a laugh.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Give this man a cookie I feel the same way grimmas
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

Yes, love the joke rules.

Time for that fabulous moustache!
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    To answer a few concerns.
    I have now played 5 games of AoS, relatively small. We've found that not being a bell end balances the game itself. Also, the game is great fun, easy set up, nice strategy in the combat phase, and it is just more interesting to play.
    The combat phase is certainly where the main strategic wrangling is found. It's incredibly important to make the right choice of which unit will attack first in multi-unit combats. In my second game my opponent made the wrong choice and that was what swung the entire game in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    Crapsichord. There goes any chance whatsoever they had of selling me any terrain.
    When you see some of the terrain that's yet to come, the temptation to buy may be difficult to resist, even with subpar material.
    Warseer refugee.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    Yes, love the joke rules.

Time for that fabulous moustache!
    The joke rules are the thing I dislike the most... I'm up for playing games and being as silly as we want naturally, however I don't need some heavy handed LARPing forced into my tabletop experience.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Don't use them then.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Inside back page of White Dwarf shows the term 'Battletome' is now a GW trademark.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Lexington View Post
    Yeah, this has been my observation, too. Funny rules can be great in small doses (people still talk about jamming as many Orks as they could into a 2nd Edition Battlewagon), but they work best when they give a little character to the experience or to a single army. Tossing them in at every turn like they have feels like...well...
    I noticed none of the new units shown in White Dwarf had those silly rules, either. Like they want you to take the new stuff seriously, but the old stuff is all a joke.

Chaplain

Hard to say from such a small number of warscrolls for the new stuff

Page 45 of 64 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast