BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 30 of 64 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    It's not that useful comparing to 40k models though.
    Unless you are trying to make some Adeptus Custodes. Think these guys fit the bill 100%. Of course you'd have to make them cone-heads but whateves.

Chapter-Master

I'm liking the scenery (though all the Warhammer scenery, other than Deathwatch Knell, was great) , but I still don't like the Sigmarines aesthetic.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Sigmarites look better in bare plastic as is oftn the case, new terrain looks nice also.
    I think the over-the-top gold scheme hurt them. Seeing some of the alternates in one of the leaked images (which admittedly made the comparison to Marines even stronger) made me think that with a nice, interesting color scheme, they could look a lot better.

Nah...comparison shots show just how basic and out of scale the new figures are .
    Yes , scenery looks cool, will get some of that but as you guys say...it's always cool !
    Will be nice to have a game system that actually lets you interact with the scenery , haven't really had that before in warhammer.

Mr mystery...you have to admit my rumours certainly came true . Not a liar at all.

Didn't have a clue about aesthetics and that has killed it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    We have rules, not scenarios.
    Yeah... and that's probably by design. If the army building is "pick what you think will make a good game," why not also just allow people to determine their own ideas for scenarios?

Also, I only ignore trolls, which is why Path Walker's the only person on my list. While you might come off pretty strong as a GW fanatic so hardcore that if they literally sold a pile of feces covered in spray you'd consider buying it and try to talk up the positives, I don't think it's intended to annoy people. And in this case, I actually feel like you might be disappointed and trying to disbelieve something that's letting you down, so I feel bad for you (genuinely, not in a condescending way). Knock the "pessimistic" (more like realist) view all you want, but it's a lot easier to be happy when you expect very little. Either you get more than you thought you would, or you get exactly what you expected and aren't disappointed.
    Last edited by Erik Setzer; 07-03-2015 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Yeah... and that's probably by design. If the army building is "pick what you think will make a good game," why not also just allow people to determine their own ideas for scenarios?

Also, I only ignore trolls, which is why Path Walker's the only person on my list. While you might come off pretty strong as a GW fanatic so hardcore that if they literally sold a pile of feces covered in spray you'd consider buying it and try to talk up the positives, I don't think it's intended to annoy people. And in this case, I actually feel like you might be disappointed and trying to disbelieve something that's letting you down, so I feel bad for you (genuinely, not in a condescending way). Knock the "pessimistic" (more like realist) view all you want, but it's a lot easier to be happy when you expect very little. Either you get more than you thought you would, or you get exactly what you expected and aren't disappointed.

Had the chance to read some of the rule book in the box in advance.
    1. There are scenarios like in every starter set that GW produces.
    2. Units have no points but feel very much like the ones from Ilse of Blood (named characters ect.)
    3. The game looks pretty fun to play. Less competitive but fun.

Oh and sigmarites are very similar to space marines but more Greek inspired. VERY similar.

Chapter-Master

taken the plunge and ordered enough round bases to do all my ogre infantry and characters. mostly they will still rank up anyway if I don't embrace Age of Sigmar, or more likely, my opponent doesn't. only problem is the characters seem to be on 50mm bases in the pic. not sure what I will go for, got 40mm for everyone, and three 50mm as well in case I decide to put the characters on them.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Battle-Brother

The more I see, model-wise, the more pleased I am with these releases. I really like the potential of some of this new terrain for LoTR, as it seams more designed for skirmish games then the old Fantasy terrain (which I am sad to see go...except for Deathknell Watch...). I might just buy some of this stuff just for the aspect of the cool models/terrain.

The rules I am a little less impressed with. I'll play the game, with some minor rules modifications among my palls, but I don't expect to be doing pick-up games our tournaments, if the later even ever becomes an option. The game seams uniquely suited to friendly games (bar the obtuse measuring from model-to-model.) I also feel scenarios and narrative will help the game, but just playing the rules straight will not result in much fun...

From a business perspective I see the reasoning for some of the choices GW made, both model and game wise. I think it was the right choice of GW to do this, again, from a business perspective. Was it the best choice? No. The best choice would have been to use player feedback and bring out a 9th edition, update Brentonia, update Skaven...and maybe add in the Stormcast Eternals as a new army, utilizing some End Times fluff thingermabob to justify this new force. And, ya know...not break the norm ad just let the good guys win, beat back Chaos, and have Chaos come back some time later, stronger then ever... But this is GW: they would have never done any of that in a million years. But then we said the same thing about free rules...and look what happened (discounting how much of a crapshoot they are).

I'm excited very much for the much more affordable prospect of getting into Fantasy... it's just this might not have been the Fantasy I wanted to get into. I'll have to see though; with my busy schedule it won't be till late next week that I can try out the game. Then I can give my final opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    taken the plunge and ordered enough round bases to do all my ogre infantry and characters. mostly they will still rank up anyway if I don't embrace Age of Sigmar, or more likely, my opponent doesn't. only problem is the characters seem to be on 50mm bases in the pic. not sure what I will go for, got 40mm for everyone, and three 50mm as well in case I decide to put the characters on them.
    I'd say it's a "gut feeling" thing. For the Dwarfs, I have all characters on 32mm except a small Slayer who's on 25mm. For the Orcs and Goblins, I have a Black Orc on a 32mm base, couple Goblins on 25mm (way too small for 32mm), and an Orc on 40mm (Games Day Orc from a few years ago, he had a round base to start with, I never got around to assembling him until now). If you think they look better on 50mm, go for that, though keeping them on 40mm would help for continued WFB play (or even KoW play).

I might rebase my Ogres... Didn't get them painted yet, because I bought them right before ET: Archaon, thinking it would have Orcs, Goblins, and Ogres all together. AoS allows that, so maybe I'll just switch them over anyway. I just hate wasting all those bases, but eh, that's the breaks. Looks like 40mm bases aren't that cheap regardless of why I get them from, so might as well stick with GW bases.

Speaking of ranking them, did come across this:

[url]http://www.litko.net/products/Skirmish-Trays-for-40mm-Round-Bases-(All-Patterns).html#.VZbPWvlVhBc[/url]

They also have ones for 25mm bases, for 10 or even 20, so pretty each to have a formed regiment. Not bad on pricing, either. And since GW's War of the Rings trays are sold out or no longer available, have to go elsewhere anyway.

Chapter-Master

there are some good companies out there making movement trays with a range of sizes for circular bases. I found one compnay, can't remember which, where you had a choice of having the bases flush with one another, or spaced a few mil, to aid with ranking up bulky models. you just selected how many ranks deep and files wide you wanted them
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Page 30 of 64 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast