BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by fraziersm View Post
    I heard from my local store today, that this is a stand alone game, and that this is not WHFB 9th ed.
    Well yeah, it's not WFB 9th edition because there isn't going to be a 9th edition.
    Warseer refugee.

I'll be up my local store on Saturday to see what's what.

No point worrying about anything until I've played the game.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Veteran-Sergeant

My local GW is telling people that they can only play Fantasy on the designated night for OOP games ("Anything Goes Wednesday" I believe). Fantasy is dead. There will be no 9th. If you don't like AoS and don't have friends you can keep playing 8th with, you're right out of luck, basically.
    "Kill them, my children, but make it slow..."

The End Times was "9th Edition". This is the new Warhammer.

I'm not sure how many more times they can say "nothing will ever be the same again" before it sinks in, really.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Librarian

These mechanics sound pretty nice to me. Maybe they work, maybe they don't, but they're interesting and miles away from anything that's come out of GW in decades.

Unfortunately, the background looks to be...well, boring. Epically boring, emphasis on the "epic" - like all those superhero movies where the Earth itself is imperiled every twelve seconds, these gods, celestial superarmies and magical realms of magic get fairly ho-hum when they're the focus of everything. The old school Warhammer World had an interesting, varied world with civilizations and histories and plain old people for whom magic was a bizarre, fearful and very rare thing. It gave the setting a grounded feeling and a verisimilitude that balanced out the gods and monsters that lurked on the map's edges. Maybe everything we've seen so far is just marketing, and GW has actually fleshed out a real winner of a fantasy world somewhere between these gleaming gold godlings and their blood-soaked enemies. Given the company's recent dismal record when it comes to developing their existing IPs, it seems more likely that we'll be getting the sort of big-n-bland storytelling that makes most big video games so unpalatable. Too bad. RIP Warhammer.
    Last edited by Lexington; 06-30-2015 at 03:25 PM.

Chapter-Master

we will just have to see what comes out over the next few months. this is something totally new, we have no idea what will happen, and there are plenty of rumours concerning future releases.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Chapter-Master

Trying to give this the benefit of the doubt but between all round bases, a 40k vibe and no points values it keeps feeling more and more like this...

My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

I am quite frankly amazed. I actually want to play Fantasy now.
    No more working out charge arcs and trying to rank up models that just aren't made for it. A new angle, a fresh start.

I am very optimistic.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Veteran-Sergeant

Hero's are the center of the game with some troops to back them up, and now warscrolls? The game sounds more like HeroQuest then Warhammer 9th.
    Yes I misspell stuff, you'll live.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

[removed]

Quote Originally Posted by Lexington View Post
    These mechanics sound pretty nice to me. Maybe they work, maybe they don't, but they're interesting and miles away from anything that's come out of GW in decades.

Unfortunately, the background looks to be...well, boring. Epically boring, emphasis on the "epic" - like all those superhero movies where the Earth itself is imperiled every twelve seconds, these gods, celestial superarmies and magical realms of magic get fairly ho-hum when they're the focus of everything. The old school Warhammer World had an interesting, varied world with civilizations and histories and plain old people for whom magic was a bizarre, fearful and very rare thing. It gave the setting a grounded feeling and a verisimilitude that balanced out the gods and monsters that lurked on the map's edges. Maybe everything we've seen so far is just marketing, and GW has actually fleshed out a real winner of a fantasy world somewhere between these gleaming gold godlings and their blood-soaked enemies. Given the company's recent dismal record when it comes to developing their existing IPs, it seems more likely that we'll be getting the sort of big-n-bland storytelling that makes most big video games so unpalatable. Too bad. RIP Warhammer.
    yeah the background was always GWs strongest point. I think throwing the old world out was the silliest thing they have ever done. They could have overhauled the game system for all most people would have cared.
    And while it can be admitted that portions of the old world were quite generic it was the combination of them as a whole that made the setting entirely unique and unlike anything else I've seen.
    Last edited by The Girl; 07-01-2015 at 09:16 AM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast