BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 17 of 64 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by the jeske View Post
    Anything on a flyer base is almost impossible to engage through melee
    Not really. You might have wings sticking out, or something like that. Those count as part of the model, too.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Collaborative game is collaborative.

I can't think of a bigger two fingered salute to those who demand the game be geared toward high level competitive play, despite the general lack of prize munneh.
    And this is exactly why I strongly dislike the current direction Games Workshop has moved in. I'm as much a historical player as anything and I already have a host of collaborative games with no points values... and yes they are fun as hell with my group.

But Games Workshop "was" special because I could pick an army to a set points value and go play any random person with NO PREGAME DISCUSSION. That was special... in fact it was bloody AWESOME! I loved going to events where I met new people, made new friends and got to drool over beautifully painted armies. It had absolutely nothing to do with wanting to beat the **** out of some random person. What do I have now? 40k is friggin useless for pickup and event play and now WFB goes to AoS which looks to be even more useless. Instead of making the game less competitive GW has made their games into a WAAC players wet freaking dream. 7th Ed 40k events are truly hideous affairs. Someone get me a whip or flail, I'm joining up with the flagellants.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Librarian

I'd like to point out that the four pages have no rules for force building whatsoever. While the art and fluff definitely imply that those Khornates will fight against those Sigmarites, the four pages make no mention of anything like a faction.

It is possible to create factions form the warscrolls by giving every model a rule that only allows them to be played with other models that have certain key-words, so I suppose they might show up there. But it does make me wonder if there will be an "Advanced Rules" section sometime.

They might also have rules that say "You may only have one Greater Daemon for every X models in your force" to keep us from fielding an army of nothing but giant powerhouse characters. Or maybe characters will count as more than one model each.

Otherwise, I don't see why anyone would ever take a unit (as they just add to your overall model count, and make it more likely that you won't be the one to go for the sudden death victory).

I mean, a match of 12 Bloodthirsters vs 18 Goblin grunts shouldn't be giving the underdog bonus to the Bloodthirsters.

I still want this game to be cool, but I honestly wonder what they're thinking.

www.GardenNinja.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    I'm very sorry TDA, that wasn't meant to be at all condescending or critical of you. Kirsten expressed what I was getting at in a much more elegant way. This will be a totally different type of game to appeal to to a different gamer. It has clearly worked as its got you excited. The problem for me personally is it seems to have ditched everything that enjoyed in Warhammer, but clearly there were people who didn't like all that stuff.

Whilst I share all your concerns (+the stupid measurement rules), I disagree that there is no reason to worry. It's not like we are talking about some half baked rumours here, we have WD photos. Sure, it could turn out that this is just a quick intro and there is a 500 page tome coming in a couple of months, but on the basis of what we have, I see nothing I like or that bares any resemblance to the game I loved. I'm usually a fairly positive, wait and see kind of guy (as I hope my time on here would show) but it seems pretty inescapable that Warhammer as was is dead and that makes me sad. I'll give the new rules a try and if I don't like it I'll use it as a catalyst to get my group playing 40k again, or maybe move onto Kings of War. One door closes and all that.
    No worries pal, just try AoS out first though.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by odinsgrandson View Post
    But it does make me wonder if there will be an "Advanced Rules" section sometime.
    I fully expect a lot more will be coming our way over the next few weeks/months. This game may truly be awesome... of course that still doesn't mean it will be a success. Epic40k was a huge change up and it is also awesome... unfortunately it still fell flat.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Confirmed (from more White Dwarf pics) that Warscrolls for every extant Warhammer mini will be up this weekend, at age-of-sigmar-compendiums on the GW website.

There's also pictures of a Dark Elf and an Ogre Kingdoms army on the new round bases and they look... really good. Really, really good.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    No worries pal, just try AoS out first though.
    Oh I will. I'm not giving up on Warhammer just yet. I'll even try not to spend all my time thinking 'this isn't Warhammer'. I just hope that GW gives us some proper information about what exactly this is and how it's going to work long term. They could lose a lot of existing players early doors just through not communicating hat the longer term plan is.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'nSmurfs View Post
    Confirmed (from more White Dwarf pics) that Warscrolls for every extant Warhammer mini will be up this weekend, at age-of-sigmar-compendiums on the GW website.

There's also pictures of a Dark Elf and an Ogre Kingdoms army on the new round bases and they look... really good. Really, really good.
    I expect a server crash is in GW's near future.
    My Truescale Insanity

I reckon the next few weeks and months is going to answer a lot of those questions, Wildey. Whether we like the answers or not is another matter.

Who was it said way back when the first rumours hit that there'd be a Ravening Hordes type deal for the new Warhammer? I didn't believe it then, but they're doing it.

And on the "here's my army, it's ten bloodthirsters" point... bear in mind that some of the biggest advantages of the Bloodthirster in ages past are gone. Weapon Skill and Toughness are gone, they don't matter. You get hit on a stock number, you get wounded on a stock number. Those Sigmar boys hit everything from a Grot to a 'Thirster on a 3+ and wound it on a 4+ (unless I've got it the wrong way 'round!). I'm sure Greater Daemons will have loads of wounds and other advantages but that's an important consideration to bear in mind.
    Last edited by Cap'nSmurfs; 07-01-2015 at 12:06 PM.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Quote Originally Posted by odinsgrandson View Post
    Otherwise, I don't see why anyone would ever take a unit (as they just add to your overall model count, and make it more likely that you won't be the one to go for the sudden death victory).

I mean, a match of 12 Bloodthirsters vs 18 Goblin grunts shouldn't be giving the underdog bonus to the Bloodthirsters.

I still want this game to be cool, but I honestly wonder what they're thinking.
    Characters are about $20-$30 each now (and rising), whereas units are $40-$60 for up to ten models. Similarly, elite units are more expensive for fewer models. It's a better profit if you convince people to just buy the elite stuff and big nasty stuff and characters.

Page 17 of 64 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast