BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 35 of 64 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Okay, daboarder, you win this one~
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Chapter-Master

Even after reading through the rules and scrolls I still have absolutely no idea how one would even attempt to have roughly equivalent armies. I may have to upgrade from ale to moonshine.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'nSmurfs View Post
    Okay, daboarder, you win this one~
    hehe
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

Here's a full review of Age of Sigmar from an advance copy GW provided the author.

[url]http://taleofpainters.blogspot.com/2015/07/review-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-starter.html[/url]

After giving the warscrolls a shot and trying to play through a game I'm totally on board with his Overall Conclusion quoted below. Sad as I was hoping for something a little more special.

"Modern, reactive gameplay, that keeps both players occupied no matter whose turn it is; decent intern and extern balancing; a tight yet intuitive ruleset that provides a slick gaming experience no matter whether in casual pick up games or competative games – all of this can't be found in Age of Sigmar. It appears to me that Games Workshop has lost the sense of what people's expectation from a tabletop game of today.

Instead, it’s a bring all you got, free for all, like playing 40k unbound without caring for point costs. I've never seen anyone play a game like this honestly, apart from maybe 12 year olds. It seems to me that one of the iron laws of tabletop gaming is to bring two even armies to a battle. Age of Sigmar breaks with that rule, and while a tabletop game is always a social affair, and you are encouraged to have a chat with a potential opponent before a game, it can create all sorts of problems. Not only does it seem that you might spend more time discussing the army selection with your opponent, than actual gaming. How can you ever be sure whether a game is fair or not? I'm sure, the lack of point values alone might be a deal-breaker for most people who already have experience with other tabletop games.

Age of Sigmar might struggle to find its place in today's tabletop industry. The lack of communication from Games Workshop has left existing Fantasy players in the dark about the future of their system, even now they still don't know, whether this box is it, or whether there will be more or expanded "expert level" rules, or where the journey will go for Age of Sigmar. Maybe the next couple of White Dwarfs will shed some light. They better do, before people lose their interest and move on."
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

First-Captain

Its a game for people who have the maturity to play a game for its own sake, because its not even trying to be balanced competitively, you can't break it, there isn't any point to breaking it.

I'm so happy with it, even more for the sweet salty tears of nerd rage.

Again, 12 year olds are the target demo. Get that sweet Christmas and Birthday money.
    Last edited by Path Walker; 07-04-2015 at 01:02 AM.

Chapter-Master

well congratulations path Im glad you enjoy it, plenty of other however clearly do not, maybe NOT disparaging their opinions for just being different would be the mature thing?
    Last edited by daboarder; 07-04-2015 at 01:38 AM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    so....path is 12?

that would explain a lot. well congratulations path Im glad you enjoy it, plenty of other however clearly do not, maybe NOT disparaging their opinions for just being different would be the mature thing?
    Its not my problem if they don't like the game, that's theirs, either move on to something else or play the game you like. That's the mature response. Throwing a hissy fit over a game of toy soldiers? Not so much.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Its not my problem if they don't like the game, that's theirs, either move on to something else or play the game you like. That's the mature response. Throwing a hissy fit over a game of toy soldiers? Not so much.
    If the game of toy soldiers is so unimportant to you, why then are you throwing a hissy fit about others apparently throwing a hissy fit. Would that not make your own actions equally illogical and ridiculous?

If it means so little importance why do you even participate in the community at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Yup. I don't know what to make of it, if only because I just woke up and nothing makes any sense. Not going to base my opinion on some guy from a painting blog I've never heard of who doesn't like it because it doesn't meet his arbitrary and subjective definitions of what the laws of tabletop gaming are.

[removed]

- - - Updated - - -

I mean:
    . I can't tell you much about the gameplay, because I'm not a gamer. The core mechanics of Warhammer have been changed a lot.
    Last edited by The Girl; 07-04-2015 at 11:24 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    "Deployment: Chaos player sets down a Screaming Bell. Other player sets down whatever. Chaos player sets down Fateweaver. The only chance the other player has to not instantly lose is to end deployment RIGHT NOW, take the first turn, and destroy the Screaming Bell (Oracle of Eternity ignores whether or not Fateweaver is alive). Otherwise, Chaos player ends deployment and seizes the first turn.

Turn 1, Hero Phase: Roll for Screaming Bell's Peal of Doom. Use Oracle of Eternity to declare that the roll is 13. Instant win, before the first movement phase."
    Well, you can't roll 13 on 2D6 without a modifier, and since no modified can be added, you can only declare a 12 (still a free Verminlord), meaning no, you can't get instant win, unless you're trying to cheat... and should be rightly called out as the rule says.

Page 35 of 64 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast