BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 16 of 64 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    the point here is the difference between what is good for some, and good for the game.

this Age of Sigmar is not what I want from Fantasy, I wont be pre-ordering on Saturday, and will wait until September ish to see how the game has gone before I get anything. I will try it at some point though, once I have other purchases out of the way.

But whilst I am not keen, it might well be what Fantasy needs. lots of people here have said that fantasy was dying off and nobody played it in their area, so they obviously need to do something drastic to get more people playing. it isn't the change I wanted, and I am disappointed, but I hope it does well for them and people enjoy it.
    Have to agree... This isn't what I want from WFB but then again WFB was basically dead in my area anyhow so they needed something drastic... and hopefully this is 'the' game to bring in a flood of new players. I have serious doubts that's going to happen but who knows.

I'm also going with a wait and see where it goes mentality, although I may wait well beyond September before putting a toe in. I was hoping to be interested enough to hop in out of the gate but so far nothing has me that excited.

On a positive note my 40k Daemon army is now based and ready to play in two game systems! Yay!
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

First-Captain

Nerd Rage of Sigmar

Brother-Captain

I would like to remind people that these changes are not about "us" the existing WFB gamers. This wouldn't be happening if there were enough of us to support the system. GW isn't really interested in us a group because clearly we don't buy enough.

We do have one luxury we've never had before though, we aren't going to have to buy anything to give AoS a go. Who knows it might be good, if not well I've still got all my End Times and 8th Ed just like everyone else, so I can just play that till I get my monies worth (which I probably already have)

I am a little concerned how the Warscrolls and army selection will work but hell i'm going to find out in 3days.
    Last edited by grimmas; 07-01-2015 at 09:50 AM.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Chaplain

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the unit set up. Did I get that right? At one point one of the players is supposed to say that they feel they have all the units they need, knowing full well that after that the other player can continue to place as much units as he can fit on the board?

Madness, i say.

Collaborative game is collaborative.

I can't think of a bigger two fingered salute to those who demand the game be geared toward high level competitive play, despite the general lack of prize munneh.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    How incredibly condescending. Thanks beast, thought you were a bit more respectful than to sink to that level.[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    the point here is the difference between what is good for some, and good for the game.

this Age of Sigmar is not what I want from Fantasy, I wont be pre-ordering on Saturday, and will wait until September ish to see how the game has gone before I get anything. I will try it at some point though, once I have other purchases out of the way.

But whilst I am not keen, it might well be what Fantasy needs. lots of people here have said that fantasy was dying off and nobody played it in their area, so they obviously need to do something drastic to get more people playing. it isn't the change I wanted, and I am disappointed, but I hope it does well for them and people enjoy it.
    I'm very sorry TDA, that wasn't meant to be at all condescending or critical of you. Kirsten expressed what I was getting at in a much more elegant way. This will be a totally different type of game to appeal to to a different gamer. It has clearly worked as its got you excited. The problem for me personally is it seems to have ditched everything that enjoyed in Warhammer, but clearly there were people who didn't like all that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Exactly. I don't like the Sigmarites, I'm concerned about how the lack of points values will work and I'm quite concerned that the background will be ridiculously macho Indefinite End times, but you don't see my faliling about squealing the world is coming to an end because we don't actually know anything much at all.
    Whilst I share all your concerns (+the stupid measurement rules), I disagree that there is no reason to worry. It's not like we are talking about some half baked rumours here, we have WD photos. Sure, it could turn out that this is just a quick intro and there is a 500 page tome coming in a couple of months, but on the basis of what we have, I see nothing I like or that bares any resemblance to the game I loved. I'm usually a fairly positive, wait and see kind of guy (as I hope my time on here would show) but it seems pretty inescapable that Warhammer as was is dead and that makes me sad. I'll give the new rules a try and if I don't like it I'll use it as a catalyst to get my group playing 40k again, or maybe move onto Kings of War. One door closes and all that.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Al Shut View Post
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around the unit set up. Did I get that right? At one point one of the players is supposed to say that they feel they have all the units they need, knowing full well that after that the other player can continue to place as much units as he can fit on the board?

Madness, i say.
    You can stop yeah, and the opponent can carry on but, if the opponent has 1/3 more models than you do, you get to choose a Sudden Death Victory condition than makes it a lot easier for you to win the game

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Collaborative game is collaborative.

I can't think of a bigger two fingered salute to those who demand the game be geared toward high level competitive play, despite the general lack of prize munneh.
    Also a similar "salute" to those of us who like to show up at a shop, meet a random person, and play a game without devoting more time to discussing how we're going to play the game than actually playing the game.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    I'm very sorry TDA, that wasn't meant to be at all condescending or critical of you. Kirsten expressed what I was getting at in a much more elegant way. This will be a totally different type of game to appeal to to a different gamer. It has clearly worked as its got you excited. The problem for me personally is it seems to have ditched everything that enjoyed in Warhammer, but clearly there were people who didn't like all that stuff.

Whilst I share all your concerns (+the stupid measurement rules), I disagree that there is no reason to worry. It's not like we are talking about some half baked rumours here, we have WD photos. Sure, it could turn out that this is just a quick intro and there is a 500 page tome coming in a couple of months, but on the basis of what we have, I see nothing I like or that bares any resemblance to the game I loved. I'm usually a fairly positive, wait and see kind of guy (as I hope my time on here would show) but it seems pretty inescapable that Warhammer as was is dead and that makes me sad. I'll give the new rules a try and if I don't like it I'll use it as a catalyst to get my group playing 40k again, or maybe move onto Kings of War. One door closes and all that.
    If you're hoping Kings of War will provide you with a deep and detailed game you'll be sorely disappointed. The Kings of War rules aren't really that much different from AoS apart from having ranked units.

It doesn't need a 500 page tome to be a good game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Also a similar "salute" to those of us who like to show up at a shop, meet a random person, and play a game without devoting more time to discussing how we're going to play the game than actually playing the game.
    This isn't a problem in AoS, in fact, easier than before,

WFB: meet a random, "want to play WFB? ok, what points? 3000? oh I only have 2400 with me, can you write a 2400 list?" - 20 minutes of list writing.
    AoS: "Want to play? cool" - both players take turns placing War Scrolls of models on the table.

This isn't a problem in AoS, in fact, easier than before,
    Why would you want to deploy more models. All you need is one fast moving flying model. Anything on a flyer base is almost impossible to engage through melee and the speed can keep you out of shoting range. This way you can win most of the time by sudden death.

Page 16 of 64 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast