BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 18 of 64 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    I would like to remind people that these changes are not about "us" the existing WFB gamers. This wouldn't be happening if there were enough of us to support the system. GW isn't really interested in us a group because clearly we don't buy enough.
    The problem is they never bothered to figure out *why* we weren't buying into the existing system, nor did they attempt to ask why new players weren't picking it up. Nothing in this release gives me any confidence they know what they are doing. If their whole premise that they are a model company not a games one were true, wouldn't people have been buying their models in the quantities they expect already? Some of the new WFB figures are fantastic. I *really* think GW don't have a clue that it was the game that helped sell their figures. If that were not the case then it would not have impacted WFB at all and it would not have died the death it apparently has. This is why I don't think AoS will succeed. I could easily be wrong, but if they couldn't attract new players with the old system by fixing it (it existed and was successful for 20+ years before it started failing) then how exactly do they think the new one will be any better?

I will likely give it a try, but as others have mentioned it's not what I want out of a battle game so no matter how good it may turn out to be I doubt I will play it long-term. I have plenty of other skirmish games to occupy my time already.

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    I expect a server crash is in GW's near future.
    If they didn't get smart and bulk up their infrastructure, it will. But they could help the situation by doing something like setting up another server to hold the AoS files, increase the bandwidth on the main servers to handle number of visits, and then the file transfers won't blow up their main server.

The thing is, that stuff costs a bit of money. Not really that much, overall, especially if you've already spent 4.5m pounds on the website (though without making sure it could handle the weight of a bunch of hits and transactions). So if they didn't dedicate enough money to prevent a crash, well... I'm not sure I'd be able to take dealing with a company so cheap it wouldn't invest in making sure what they've got to hope will be a big deal goes smoothly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'nSmurfs View Post
    And on the "here's my army, it's ten bloodthirsters" point... bear in mind that some of the biggest advantages of the Bloodthirster in ages past are gone. Weapon Skill and Toughness are gone, they don't matter. You get hit on a stock number, you get wounded on a stock number. Those Sigmar boys hit everything from a Grot to a 'Thirster on a 3+ and wound it on a 4+ (unless I've got it the wrong way 'round!). I'm sure Greater Daemons will have loads of wounds and other advantages but that's an important consideration to bear in mind.
    You still have a saving throw. I didn't notice much in the way of Rend from the Sigmarines, so I'd guess the BT will get his stock save most of the time. If a BT has, say, 12 wounds (very possible with the leader guy having, I think, 9 wounds?), and a 2+ save, it'd be hard to bring him down. Even a 3+ save wouldn't be able to take down that fast. Might also have some special rules.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see some models show up with rules saying something like, "Can't be hurt on a Wound roll of better than 5+."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by silashand View Post
    I *really* think GW don't have a clue that it was the game that helped sell their figures.
    Well, according to their investor site, they *do* recognize the importance of having a good game to sell models. The problem is more likely that, given their lack of talking to customers (existing or prospective), they probably don't know what people view as a good game.

Chapter-Master

will armies be getting 20mm round bases, or 40k style 25mm ones? Because my elf army for example is fairly average, 100 ish infantry, but if they all suddenly go from ranked up flush on square bases to skirmishing on 25mm round bases, the extra space required is massive. anyone with a goblin army is going to fill the table.

actually that is quite tempting, just a huge green swarm of gobbos covering the board...
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Characters are about $20-$30 each now (and rising), whereas units are $40-$60 for up to ten models. Similarly, elite units are more expensive for fewer models. It's a better profit if you convince people to just buy the elite stuff and big nasty stuff and characters.
    This won't stop some people to buy a truck load of elite miniatures. But it's astonishing that nobody thought it before, but regarding crappy infantry, it would be totally normal to see a special ruke like: "without number". This unit, when under 25 models, count only for one miniature.

Or something similar to this. So now, your looking at 250 gobelins VS 10 bloodthrister. All gob hits on 5+, wounds on 5+ regardless of your characteristics. Come at me bro...

People have to be more imaginative. What could stop wood elf to roll the turn order with a +3, skaven count one miniarure for each 30 slaves, etc. Think outside of the box people!!

Fly Lord

via[URL="https://twitter.com/Lady_Atia"] Atia[/URL] (twitter) 7-1-2015

Age of Sigmar (Formations) Batallions, round bases, and lore:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CI2bhLQUkAAFCSv.jpg 
Views:	1790 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	14885Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CI2TvN3WoAAb9sV.jpg 
Views:	5827 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	14886Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CI2TvOWWIAANbZc.jpg 
Views:	2130 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	14887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1435774521854.jpg 
Views:	3966 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	14888Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1435774527263.jpg 
Views:	20013 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	14889Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20150701-WA0055.jpg 
Views:	1745 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	14890Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20150701-WA0056.jpg 
Views:	1757 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	14891
    Batallions are groups of units who get special rules - so formations basically.

Mortal Realms
    are:

Azyr: Realm of Heaven (Sigmar's pad)

Aqshy: Realm of Fire

Shyish: Realm of Death

Ghyran: Realm of Life

Hysh: Realm of Light

Ghur: Realm of Beasts

And not a square base to be seen...
    Last edited by Bigred; 07-01-2015 at 01:08 PM.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Chapter-Master

I always hated the look of the square bases and as a newcomer, i'll be happy to put the models i buy on round ones - but at the same time I can see why older fans would be annoyed and frustrated at the switch :/
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    I always hated the look of the square bases and as a newcomer, i'll be happy to put the models i buy on round ones - but at the same time I can see why older fans would be annoyed and frustrated at the switch :/
    The measuring in AoS is from the model, not the base edge, so the shape and size of the base is largely irrelevant.
    Warseer refugee.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-pope View Post
    The measuring in AoS is from the model, not the base edge, so the shape and size of the base is largely irrelevant.
    I'm not really fond of the idea of measuring from the model. The base is just so much easier and more consistent.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

"Orruk" and "Ogor" are real terms... I think I'm going to need a strong drink tonight.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    "Orruk" and "Ogor" are real terms... I think I'm going to need a strong drink tonight.
    The required level of inebreiation to play the game just went up a bit.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Page 18 of 64 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast