BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 36 of 64 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

but fateweaver lets me change the roll to any result I want.

And if you want to argue I will invoke the most important rule that states rules disputes are settled on a 4+

at which point my SECOND fateweaver ensures I win the dispute

:P

all very above the board
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by cptjoeyg View Post
    So I wonder....if GW can release all the factions/Races new rules for AoS, why couldn't they do that with earlier editions?
    They did. In 6th edition you had Ravening Hordes, which had rules for all existing armies at the time of release.

Granted, they did later army books for the armies, expanding on that. But yeah, they did do a release for all the existing armies at the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    but fateweaver lets me change the roll to any result I want.

And if you want to argue I will invoke the most important rule that states rules disputes are settled on a 4+

at which point my SECOND fateweaver ensures I win the dispute

:P

all very above the board
    And then you STILL lose AND you get to be called a cheater. So is that worth it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I mean:
    Well, if the rules are designed to bring in new blood, then that's the sort of person you'd aim for. Especially if you're trying to sell the idea of it being a hobby of collecting and painting models with a side dish of gaming just to have something to do with the models other than look pretty on a shelf.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    And then you STILL lose AND you get to be called a cheater. So is that worth it?

well lets be fair, we both lost when we agreed to sit down and play a game of AoS

Bad Dum Tish!

its rather ridiculous, but its a ridiculous game and has me in a silly mood
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Tomgar View Post
    (inb4 "hurr durr just play 8th hurrr")
    Why not? It's only this attitude that will stop people from doing so.

There's no reason we can't just continue to play 8th edition. I certainly will be. GW were never going to balance and make everything good anyway, what difference does it make? I would much rather we did stuff ourselves than rely on them. The main thing is they'll still be updating models. We can continue to play 8th and still get updates of older kits made for Age of Sigmar.

Many of us enjoyed 8th. A lack of further updates doesn't stop it from being enjoyable. It's no different to people making private servers when the servers of a good game go down. If GW never acknowledged the end of Fantasy, but just didn't produce any new rules and didn't say anything about it, there wouldn't be this kind of backlash. Discontent after a while as people caught on yes, but not like this.

I love Fantasy, and it's a shame, but the game was dying. It was a good game, but most people couldn't be bothered to learn it, so it wasn't selling. They had to change it to be a more simple skirmish game like 40k to attract customers, it was either that or cancel it completely. This isn't about not knowing what their fans want, this is about not having enough fans for it to make enough money to keep going. I would much rather be stuck with 8th and still have model updates than have 8th and no model updates. It was a compromise to keep model production profitable. You can't continue a game that isn't making much money, or at least you can't justify it to shareholders. 'We have some fans that love the game but not many' isn't going to fly, so as much as it's a shame it's the only way.

On one hand, I do feel some loss with these changes and I can see how the die-hard WHFB players are immediately turned off by the unnecessary real life rules pieces involving yelling or mustaches. Even mtg kept this to the joke sets.

On the other hand, WHFB has been dying for such a huge number of reasons, some that aren't even its fault (the internet/digital entertainment, us recession) that I can't help but feel this is a huge regime change for GW and I'm still a bit flabbergasted by it all to make sense of what to do with my unit of 60 dwarf warriors.

However, some folks are giving up on it for the wrong reasons too quickly. If you want to wheel cavalry, I do feel sorry if you put years of time and effort into the game. But if you want a competitive game, I think we as players need to collectively reorient ourselves away from the safety net of points and rigidity.

Imagine a tournament with four warscrolls, fixed lists (ie no listing a unit of 100 and playing only 17 to avoid SD). What choices do you make? Take four dragon mages and hope to Teclis that you don't face a 40 block of slayers? Do you take minimum sized toolbox units? Should you list 20 dwarf warriors and feel good but might get overrun, do you risk listing 40 and potentially decline deployment to avoid SD or maybe you take 80 and say screw it and play around auto-SD for the opponent?

I think WHFB is dead, long live WHFB. I do think AoS will be too degenerate to play the old army comps and serious tournaments for some time. That said, free rules and scrolls are a good portent for more frequent and liberal updates.

I'll miss heavy cavalry charges in wedge formation but I'm eager to see if this can be fun and approachable enough to get new people into the hobby.

First-Captain

The game is unbreakable because its so breakable, it makes it pointless to play to win, so just play to enjoy it. For the sheer joy of rolling dice and moving around lovely models with your friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronowraith View Post
    I'm actually okay with a lot of this. I still want some sort of army building rules beyond, "take stuff" but I'm willing to give these rules a shot at least. The skaven stuff seems pretty cool actually.
    The Warscrolls have certainly made it all more interesting, due to unit special rules.

Got 30 Gnoblars? Screeching Horde gives them 3 attacks each. That one stuck in my brain as fun looking.

For me, it's all gonna be about the scenario. None in the core rules, but such things would, to my mind, be the best way to stop any given game just being a fairly mindless slugfest - but then that's not exactly anything new.

Now the big question....do I get the boxed set, or pick up a Batallion which should provide me with a new army I can plonk on the board...

Definitely time to give the gameplay a bash.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

The starter set comes with 6 linked senarios and I assume we'll see more in WD and in the 6 monthly campaign boxes moving the story along

I guess.

Also managed to completely miss the Terrain and Scenery Warscrolls.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

to some extent the balance will come from the way the wounds work. you can take an army of five bloodthirsters and go for a sudden death victory, but every unit you face is going to wound you on a 4+ or better from what I have seen, so you could be swamped very quickly. if you pick a sudden death objective, your opponent picks who your target is, so as long as they keep the target away from you, they can throw hordes of spearmen at your bloodthirsters and bring them down.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Page 36 of 64 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast