BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 27 of 64 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    They didn't use bases to appease exisiting Fantasy players with square bases
    Points values are just one of a number of balancing mechanics, M:tG does fine without them for example
    The scale is the same, Eternals are just big dudes.
    How exactly is MtG 'balanced' you can literally build whatever you want in a deck, which leads to some of the most neckbeardy decks imaginable.

Mystery, 8th ed is still all well and good and I will likely keep playing it, but that is a poor substitute for a proper game, especially as several armies badly need updating in it.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    How exactly is MtG 'balanced' you can literally build whatever you want in a deck, which leads to some of the most neckbeardy decks imaginable.

Mystery, 8th ed is still all well and good and I will likely keep playing it, but that is a poor substitute for a proper game, especially as several armies badly need updating in it.
    Yeah, if it's a choice between an unsupported game that some stores are literally not letting you play, or a regularly updated and supported ruleset from Mantic, I know which one I'd choose. Saying "just play 8th" is, with all due respect, utterly asinine. Ever tried playing 5th ed 40k in a pick up game recently?

Also, MtG is the least balanced game I've ever seen. I've seen a lot of people favourably comparing AoS to Magic. That's just mad to me, and I can only assume they've never come up against some of the beardier Magic decks.
    "Kill them, my children, but make it slow..."

It's not asinine at all.

Play it at a local club. Play it with your friends.

If you're entirely dependant on in-store gaming for the time being, why not set up a club yourself? Gives greater freedom all round.

And remember folks, very reliable rumour mongers are saying this is just the beginning of what's happened to Warhammer, and we should expect a further large release around August.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

You'll probably have more luck getting a pick up game of 8th than a game of KoW 2nd. Love seeing people complain that AoS is simplified and saying they'll pick up KoW instead.

Magic is one of the most popular and widely played tabletop games in the world and has been for a long long time, I used it only as an example of how a game could be both popular (and a lot of fun) and not use points values to balance.

I wouldn't hold my breath about point ever coming back to Fantasy, that's done, expect more constructed scenarios and campaign sets moving the story along though
    Last edited by Path Walker; 07-03-2015 at 02:32 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

I loved the look of the Empire, always wanted to have a Nuln themed army, even picked up a box of spearmen and a box of gunners, even got the Nuln special unit of armored gunners.

I quickly realized that creating a 3000 point army for Warhammer was going to cost me hundreds of dollars and hundreds of hours to build and paint. Mind you I already collect Space Marines and Tau.

It just looked daunting, so I gave up.

But now, this new game excites me. I can have 2 starter armies for $125, I can collect small skirmish forces of other armies I love the look of, like Dark Elves and Dwarves, and not think it would be impossible to do.

And I get to be on the ground floor of a new page for Warhammer.

Exciting times indeed!

I'm still not 100% sure the system is as 'points free' as we seem to think.

I go back to my earlier point - the only warscrolls we've seen so far are from the starter box, and such sets don't tend to worry about points or force organisation, being as they are predominantly a taster of the game.

I could well be wrong - but until midnight (or 10am tomorrow if it coincides with the pre-orders, which I think is more likely) we really don't have a great deal of evidence.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

I'm pretty sure points are a thing of the past from the rules, I'm happy with it, I played a game using the wars rolls that are leaked and proxy models and had a ton of fun

Chapter-Master

it is certainly a rollercoaster. I must confess I am getting pretty excited to see what is coming out next. I am not a huge fan of the Sigmarite stuff, but no doubt they will continue releasing more for existing armies too, it can't all be new factions forever more. even if it is a radical redesign, it will still be interesting to see what they come out with. I am hoping these rumours of a month or two of solid Age of Sigmar releases are true.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Brother-Captain

I might be mistaken but hasn't there been pictures of "formations" similar to 40K, that might help with adding some structure to army selection.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Chapter-Master

that was rumoured I think yes. we have seen formations for the two boxed set factions for sure, not sure about others. but I am sure there will be some.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Page 27 of 64 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast