BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 20 of 64 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post

Well, since the weapon is part of the model, then it is within .5" of the enemy model. You just have to get tricky with positioning. Not that I'm saying that's a good thing, and you could theoretically be cheeky with base size... but then, since bases don't really count, nothing says your opponent can't put his base overlapping your base. (Huzzah, we're already rules lawyering!)
    Not really Erik, thats a 2d image, the weapons are almost an entire 1' apart

and yeah, you can overlap the bases. imagine just plonking your minis on someone else s....HAHA that would not go well.....
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0285.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	266.4 KB 
ID:	14892

For the folks putting me in the "naysayer" and "doom and gloom" and "GW hater" groups, this is the selection of Dwarfs I just got done working on tonight. Lord, Thunderers, and Miners from a WFB starter, a box of 10 metal Ironbreakers from ages long past, and a couple of characters, plus a cannon. I'm thinking of 32mm for the characters to mark them out. Would have gone 40mm, but that was way too big for Dwarfs. 32mm seems about right, though the Slayer was a bit too small for that. Sadly, I can't find the 32mm bases I didn't use in Deathstorm, so I only had 3 from Execution Force (because the CSM went on 25mm bases). Guess I'll have to get more. Artillery might not have a single profile (though it'd make sense that it would), and if it doesn't, I can set up other artillery on separate bases and just mark wounds on this one to mark dead crew, but I liked the way it looked.

I figure I should have enough to do a very basic Dwarf force by Saturday, will have the downloads in the morning, everything will be ready to go by the time my friend picks me up and we hit the shop, and I'll have an AoS-ready army, which will let me get in some games to try it out, and let other people maybe get a feel for it (which might even drive up preorder sales, though I'm not particularly concerned about those myself).

Please excuse the state of the table... it's my small "dining" table that had some OLD figures on it to check out for a D&D campaign, and then some Iron Warriors where I'd been playing 30K with friends and working on them (using my CSM force), and I also had unloaded some Skaven on the table to use a case for RPG figures, with no space on shelves to put them yet. Basically, the whole table is covered in gaming stuff where I swap out depending on what people want to play that day.
    Last edited by Erik Setzer; 07-01-2015 at 08:40 PM.

Hope you have fun! I'm really coming around to how things look on the round bases, as much as I'll miss the serried ranks of spears in big blocks.

I actually didn't buy anything after Archaon, as I was unsure what'd be coming - as such I only have a three-quarter painted Nagash and a mortarch still in (her, let's be honest) box. I'll be poring over Warscrolls at the weekend and would love to read some after-action reports from people who do get to try it out, positive, negative, whatever.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Librarian

on the topic of the weapons/bases/distance concerns, almost all of the new AOS minis most of the models are posed to take up a lot of the base/have weapons hanging significantly over the edge of their bases if not almost nearly all of them. I think this is kind of what they meant when they said the new models are designed for the game, perhaps well have to assume that most older models just go all the way to their base edge and call it a day?

I feel so conflicted inside over this tiny game of lead and plastic warriors. its kind of incredible.

As sad I as I am about the great simplification (any "Canticles" fans here?) I have to admit Im a little curious as to how this will workout and if a new more universal system will help attract people to this game ide love to be able to play more of. I purposely have only been buying fantasy styled terrain for a bit now in hopes itll sort of pick back up at some point, hopefully this wasnt a big flop.

kinda bummed on the forever disappearance of some of the terrain kits but I guess theres always a turnover on those every decade anyways

Not sure the 'point to point' is such a bad decision.

Modelling for advantage in that respect carries no real advantage, as yes you've successfully increased your charge reach, but you've also done the same should I wish to charge that model. I'm sure some will find a way, but the same is true of any rule, as there's always a way to exploit if you really, really want to.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Not sure the 'point to point' is such a bad decision.

Modelling for advantage in that respect carries no real advantage, as yes you've successfully increased your charge reach, but you've also done the same should I wish to charge that model. I'm sure some will find a way, but the same is true of any rule, as there's always a way to exploit if you really, really want to.
    Because charging that carnosuar sidewise so that you arent penalised by its long tail is good game design hurp derp
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

I cannot actually believe that anyone at GW thinks a) those names are any good or b) they will provide any greater protection to their IP. Only idiots like chapter house would go around calling their stuff durdin steamhead, everyone else will just make dwarfs/dwarves since that what they are.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    I cannot actually believe that anyone at GW thinks a) those names are any good or b) they will provide any greater protection to their IP. Only idiots like chapter house would go around calling their stuff durdin steamhead, everyone else will just make dwarfs/dwarves since that what they are.
    I would expect that with the new names will come a new, less generic aesthetic. I don't think any future Duardin release will look much like the Dwarves we know now, beyond being short.
    Warseer refugee.

Chapter-Master

I will probably stick to base to base measurements, it is the only thing that makes any sense, changing that is moronic.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Yep. Again, there's little enough advantage to be had from different sized bases that if someone's trying it, they'll also be trying other ways to ruin your enjoyment.

Roll on Saturday I guess - defo picking up WD, just for the mini, and may order the boxed set if the intro game proves enjoyable.

As for everyone else? The rules and scrolls are free. Give it a bash. No need to go in-store to do it.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 20 of 64 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast