BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 9 of 64 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    Welcome to the wild and wonderful world of traditional historical wargaming. Every game has to be meticulously planned, self balanced and scenario driven.
    Didn't that end ages ago, though? When people decided to start playing more "what-if" style games for fun. I can't think of a historical game right now without points values or something similar. I'm not sure how far back you'd have to go for that idea to be "mainstream."

I'd like to meet up with someone, say, "Want to do a quick 1000 point game?", and then throw down with models, without having to have a discussion/debate over what type of units to bring, how many models, what kind of models are acceptable, etc.

Yeah, I know they don't do a great job of balancing things, but just giving up completely seems lazy at best.

According to Lady_Atia's white dwarf stuff, sounds like every existing Warhammer miniature will have its warscroll downloadable from GW.com, either this weekend or next.

Rules for every extant model.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'nSmurfs View Post
    Right. It could well be ****ing dreadful!
    Yup

Personally I am looking forward to Kings of War 2.0 this summer. I want a battle game and if GW won't provide it, then I don't have to play whatever they do decide to try and sell me. JMO though...

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Didn't that end ages ago, though? When people decided to start playing more "what-if" style games for fun. I can't think of a historical game right now without points values or something similar. I'm not sure how far back you'd have to go for that idea to be "mainstream."
    The one I can think of off the top of my head is Force on Force, though the owners of that system are working on a revised version with point values as an update to their original Ambush Alley rules as I understand it. I think Fire and Fury still may not use point values or army construction rules, but I haven't looked at it in a while. But in general you are correct. All the currently popular historical games (Flames of War, Bolt Action, Hail Caesar, Black Powder, etc.) all use point values and are quite fun.
    Last edited by silashand; 06-30-2015 at 01:11 PM.

According to Lady_Atia's white dwarf stuff, sounds like every existing Warhammer miniature will have its warscroll downloadable from GW.com, either this weekend or next.

Rules for every extant model.
    Yeah, that's been known for a couple days or so now, thanks to leaked memos from GW. This Saturday, July 4th. You'll actually have the rules to play the game before the official release. I think that'll help the stores (like the local one) hosting a launch party on the 11th, because people will actually know the rules and be able to play games, which is the best advertisement that could be done.

Yeah, that's really cool.

The White Dwarf text also implies that the "Mortal Realms" might still be the Warhammer World... just what's left of it after it got swallowed up (it refers to The Age of Myth and "the world-that-was"). It's Sigmar's War of Reclamation.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

I just thought of something rather amusing.

It says that models in a unit must remain within 1" of each other.

It also says bases aren't considered part of the model, and all measuring is done from parts of the model.

So, honestly, big bases aren't really your friend. I was considering getting some 32mm bases to toss some Black Orks on (seems it'd look better than 25mm), but I'm not so sure on that now. Definitely a good thing to keep in mind before basing any existing models. Put the models on too large a base, and you might not be able to keep them in coherency.

Just think about that one for a moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, that's really cool.

The White Dwarf text also implies that the "Mortal Realms" might still be the Warhammer World... just what's left of it after it got swallowed up (it refers to The Age of Myth and "the world-that-was"). It's Sigmar's War of Reclamation.
    The rules refer to battling in the "seven mortal realms." Given that one of them was the "Realm of Fire," I'm thinking the realms all refer to one of the Winds of Magic, and that made me wonder about why only seven and not eight, but then I remembered that the Realm of Death might not really be a "mortal realm."

Veteran-Sergeant

"You don't need points values! It's not GW's job to write a game that makes sense, you and your opponent have to do that!"

Gee, sounds real fun.
    "Kill them, my children, but make it slow..."

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Tomgar View Post
    "You don't need points values! It's not GW's job to write a game that makes sense, you and your opponent have to do that!"

Gee, sounds real fun.
    When my group and i have done that in 40k for various games, it has been.
    Warseer refugee.

Chapter-Master

it would be cool if that if the realm of death was the "old" warhammer world.

I like the miniatures the more I see anyhow, yeah they are the fantasy equivilent of space marines but it's nice to see an offensive WHF "good" force. Not sure how I feel about those rules, but as they are free I may give them a go with a friend who says she wants to start skaven.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-pope View Post
    When my group and i have done that in 40k for various games, it has been.
    It's fun to do scenarios and stuff at times, but not trying to work that stuff out for every game. Sometimes you meet a new player and just want to have a quick match, rather than spend 30-60 minutes discussing what forces can be used, what the scenario should be, etc.

Page 9 of 64 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast