BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 19 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    "Orruk" and "Ogor" are real terms... I think I'm going to need a strong drink tonight.
    I remember making [URL="http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/03/misfire-comics-29-whats-in-a-name.html"]this comic[/URL] a few months back, and thinking "you know, at least they can't do much worse..."

Brother-Sergeant

At least it's clear the stuff that came from 4chan was a load of tosh. Ogors and Orruks aren't racial slurs at least.
    Warseer refugee.

Battle-Brother

Reading the game rules and the Thunderstorms Brotherhood, there's nothing preventing you from charging the turn you come down through Lightning Strike. Sure, its a 9"+ charge, but you can technically charge. Plus, don't the winged Sigmarites get 3d6 for their charge range?

I gotta say I'm liking the game and its rules, the lack of balance however ticks me off. Oh well, I bet given time communities will find their own ways to balance the game, and if it gets popular enough, TOs might be able to do something about it too.

I was a little nervous, but I kind of feel everything is beginning to gel together now. Looking forward to giving AoS a go.

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    I would like to remind people that these changes are not about "us" the existing WFB gamers. This wouldn't be happening if there were enough of us to support the system. GW isn't really interested in us a group because clearly we don't buy enough.

We do have one luxury we've never had before though, we aren't going to have to buy anything to give AoS a go. Who knows it might be good, if not well I've still got all my End Times and 8th Ed just like everyone else, so I can just play that till I get my monies worth (which I probably already have)

I am a little concerned how the Warscrolls and army selection will work but hell i'm going to find out in 3days.
    +1 to this.

I'll give AoS a try since it won't take me long to learn the rules and I already have models. In future, I'll continue to play something, but whether it's WFB 8th, AoS, or KoW really depends on what I and my gaming group make of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Becht View Post
    Reading the game rules and the Thunderstorms Brotherhood, there's nothing preventing you from charging the turn you come down through Lightning Strike. Sure, its a 9"+ charge, but you can technically charge. Plus, don't the winged Sigmarites get 3d6 for their charge range?
    It gets better. I'm pretty sure you actually only have to be within 3" of the enemy to attack them (and then you get 3" pile in and all that jazz). So if you can charge 6" on 2D6...

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    It gets better. I'm pretty sure you actually only have to be within 3" of the enemy to attack them (and then you get 3" pile in and all that jazz). So if you can charge 6" on 2D6...
    Actually, you have to finish a charge withing 1/2" of an enemy, so yes, its a 9" charge. The 3" thing is talking about units that moved/were already in 3" of an enemy; they count as being engaged too.

Librarian

Austin is right- if you can't get within 1/2 inch with your first charger, then none of your models get to move.

Have we gotten a good look at any of the warscrolls yet? I'm still wondering if they fill in some of the balance rules that we're missing.
    Last edited by odinsgrandson; 07-01-2015 at 08:05 PM.

www.GardenNinja.com

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

This kinda illustrates just how dumb this system is

Oh, another example

There are huge problems with this. If model collection (which varies massively player to player) is potentially limitless you could get really unbalanced games. For example, Player A has the following collection: 10 spearmen, 10 swordsmen and one captain on warhorse. Player B has of 200 Longbowmen. If the 200 Longbows player wants to field at least one single unit of 40 Archers (maybe he thinks it is very cool and his rulebook says that's the most important thing) then he may as well put down all of his Longbowmen models because after passing the 33 model count the other player (with 21 models) already has Sudden Death bonuses.

So, if you are going to have 30% over your opponent's model count anyway, why not* flood the field? Moreover, if you are going to have less models than your opponent, why not* make sure you have just below 30% less and get sudden death bonuses? I think that this is a bit of a mess and will turn competitive deployment into a farce. It's why we had points limits and list-building in the first place.

*Beyond collection limitations, a desire for fairness and a sense of common decency. Not every player or opponent has those all of the time! Nor does everyone agree on what it and isn't fair! This is with the presumption that one of the players in the game wants to win and takes the game at its word when it says put down as many models as you like.
    Saw this on a different forum - while the word "balanced" seems like a total joke, it's at least some semblance of army building rules

Suggestion from GW staff for creating basic army construction that is balanced.

Quick way to organize a balanced battle in Age of Sigmar for your customers who feel that they need something like this to be successful.

Warscrolls can't be duplicated more than once

1-12 Warscrolls
    1-2 Hero Warscrolls
    0-2 monster warscrolls
    No single warscroll may contain more than X wounds (ie 24)no duplicate Heroes

courtesy of Deadhorse
    Last edited by daboarder; 07-01-2015 at 08:10 PM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by odinsgrandson View Post
    Austin is right- if you can't get within 1/2 inch with your first charger, then none of your models get to move.
    Yeah, sorry, I should have looked at the rules again, rather than relying on flimsy recollection and seeing someone else talking about the system. That did sound a bit off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post

This kinda illustrates just how dumb this system is
    Well, since the weapon is part of the model, then it is within .5" of the enemy model. You just have to get tricky with positioning. Not that I'm saying that's a good thing, and you could theoretically be cheeky with base size... but then, since bases don't really count, nothing says your opponent can't put his base overlapping your base. (Huzzah, we're already rules lawyering!)

Page 19 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast