BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 22 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    I will definitely be sticking to base to base measurements. Measuring from the model is the single dumbest design concept I've seen in years. Add to that the basing doesn't matter and someone can simply build an all ranged weapon list on large enough bases that guarantee you never have a single successful charge. WTH GW?
    I think it will be less accurate to go from sticking out model bits, which is probably why they have introduced that half inch silliness instead of base to base contact. I am against it for practical reasons as well, if you are trying to measure distance between two protruding weapons you are far more likely to knock stuff over
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Dude. If someone is that vested in cheating and bending the rules, their choice of base will be the least of one's worries against them.

I suspect their personal hygiene might well top that list.
    Neckbeards abound mate!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    I think it will be less accurate to go from sticking out model bits, which is probably why they have introduced that half inch silliness instead of base to base contact. I am against it for practical reasons as well, if you are trying to measure distance between two protruding weapons you are far more likely to knock stuff over
    Good point! Hadn't even considered the practical aspects of trying to measure from a weapon point. I've always thought of the base as an abstraction of the models immediate 'zone of influence'.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    Neckbeards abound mate!

- - - Updated - - -

Good point! Hadn't even considered the practical aspects of trying to measure from a weapon point. I've always thought of the base as an abstraction of the models immediate 'zone of influence'.
    Yeah I think the base not mattering is going to take a little getting used to, I've always had the same perception as you on that one.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

If both players have their models mounted on 'the base it came with', just gentleperson's agreement and switch to BTB measuring. Dead easy As long as there's consistency, there isn't a problem.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    Yeah I think the base not mattering is going to take a little getting used to, I've always had the same perception as you on that one.
    I don't think I'll ever get used to this one... measuring from the model is simply all kinds of awful. How I choose to place/base or convert my models should not have any impact on gameplay. For example take a Slaaneshi champion with a whip, how does it make any sense that the in game impact of the model depends on whether I have the whip reared back ready for a strike or extended out over the front of the base in mid strike? It's pure game design madness!
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Brother-Captain

Of course but who's going to make them if GW doesn't 😜😜😜😜😜

Defo the most sensible approach. I'm think AoS is going to work fine if one simply applies a little common sense.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Librarian

GW has allowed people to alter the base sizes of their models for many years.

- I have seen quite a few people do it in ways that don't disrupt gameplay, and especially not to give them an advantage.

- I have heard a lot of complaints about how someone could use it to disrupt gameplay.

- I have never seen anyone actually alter the base size in such a way that gives them an advantage.

So... while I find measuring from the model to be inconvenient, I don't think it will actually hurt game balance.

If game balance is even a thing in the Age of Sigmar.

www.GardenNinja.com

I read about someone who modelled for advantage at a 40k tournament, and bases were part of the issue....

'converted' Bloodcrushers by plonking Bloodletters on LotR horses, using the horsey bases (Approx the same size as a Terminator). Claimed this was OK, because he had the larger bases with him, and he asked every opponent if they minded him using a smaller base......
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

If both players have their models mounted on 'the base it came with', just gentleperson's agreement and switch to BTB measuring. Dead easy As long as there's consistency, there isn't a problem.
    Well, it sort of it a bit of a problem if you're having to house rule the game right of the gates to fix one of the fundamental rules of the system. How much of a problem it is depends on how many people will feel the necessity to do that over time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    I shall be curious to see how combat resolution works, hard to imagine there is much benefit to taking a 50 model horde with no rank and standard bonus. Probably some form of bonus for outnumbering the enemy, but I would imagine it will mostly lie in getting as many models attacking as you can
    I think it's getting more attacks, and having a bonus to battleshock, so if you lose combat (quite possible), you're less likely to lose additional models (unless you just got absolutely wrecked... in which case previous rank bonus wouldn't do that much good either).

Kind of sad if there's no bonus for musician and standard. It's possible there'll be something on the warscrolls noting it, like how there's a note one guy can be a champion and his CC attacks get +1 Attack. But it just makes more sense to put something like that in the core rules instead of repeating it endlessly. Regardless, I'll put full commands in my units (where I can), because it just looks cool.

Chapter-Master

I read about someone who modelled for advantage at a 40k tournament, and bases were part of the issue....

'converted' Bloodcrushers by plonking Bloodletters on LotR horses, using the horsey bases (Approx the same size as a Terminator). Claimed this was OK, because he had the larger bases with him, and he asked every opponent if they minded him using a smaller base......
    I've seen people try to justify stupid things for an advantage before so I'm not surprised... those same mooks will have an absolute field day with a 'measure from the model' mechanic.

I'm really anxious to see how the game balances at all without points.
    My Truescale Insanity

Page 22 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast