BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 42 of 64 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Had a good look at the starter set today, the models are absolutely fantastic, especially the chaos stuff. If we can have a unit of flesh hounds just like the lead villains pet, i'll be thrilled. The book is pretty nifty too, nicely laid out with some gorgeous artwork.
    Played a couple of games with the new rules, using High Elves vs Lizardmen. It's certainly different, monsters losing effectiveness as they get hurt is a nice touch, but there are a lot of things that could use more clarity. Shooting into and out of combat for example. We ended up houseruling that you could shoot into combat, but not out of it since the units would be too busy to aim.

And as someone who has always been about the narrative gaming, i'm not too fussed about balance. I'm not sold on the game completely yet, and i'm still frankly pissed about the destruction of the Warhammer world, but i'm also relieved that the rumoured fluff has be revealed as complete bunkum.
    Warseer refugee.

So, umm...Lizardmen are all daemons then? I'm interested to see how that all pans out.

Chapter-Master

I wondered about that, I did notice in the rules stuff about summoning reserves, maybe lizardmen can be summoned like daemon psychic powers in 40k? I have no idea, just trying to think of reasons. maybe because they looks a bit like daemons compared to men?
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    I wondered about that, I did notice in the rules stuff about summoning reserves, maybe lizardmen can be summoned like daemon psychic powers in 40k? I have no idea, just trying to think of reasons. maybe because they looks a bit like daemons compared to men?
    Slann can summon Lizardmen. It would appear it's because they are being transitioned to Serephon, that are described as beings spawned from star dragons.
    Warseer refugee.

Chapter-Master

cool, not worked my way through all the lists yet
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexington View Post
    Interesting stuff. It seems to me that a company in financial peril should probably try not to revise their products in a way that's an intentional middle finger to their existing customer base. This seems especially true for companies like GW, whose business models rely so heavily on network effects. Then again, what do I know?
    Depends on the value of the old customer base vs. the value of the new, doesn't it?

After all, which is better: 100 hardcore customers who buy maybe one or two models to supplement their existing armies and complain about everything you do, or 200 customers who buy an army and drop out, never hanging around long enough to complain about everything you do?

At the end of the day, GW is a toy company; toys go through phases.

My go-to non-wargaming example is wrestling. WWE was last really popular from 1998 to 2002; its popularity has never got to the levels of that time (called the Attitude Era) since then. Why?

Name a star wrestler. The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, The Undertaker, Randy Savage, John Cena, Randy Orton, Dave Bautista, HHH...

Not one of these guys started his career later than 2002. GW has completely stagnated. The only new stars (wrestlers being its key 'product') it's built since then have been Daniel Bryan and CM Punk - neither of whom a non-wrestling fan could most likely name. Wrestling has had its day. It's old, and not because wrestling sucks, but because the product hasn't evolved.

Businesses need to be sharks - not in the sense that they're predatory (though they are), but in that they die when they stop moving forwards. New customers will always be better than old, because when you're a toy company? Old customers don't buy your product in the same amount as new product. When you consider how poisonous a lot of GW's old customers are - how toxic their complaints, how complaining and moaning is part of the culture? I'll tell you what, I wouldn't want those people as my customers. Their money wouldn't be good enough for me, if it ends up losing me new guys to Infinity or Warmahordes or whatever.

So, is the existing customer base worth holding on to? The only answer is a tentative 'maybe'. There are pros for keeping them, but cons too, and that's not something the existing customer base likes to admit about itself. That maybe it's a hassle. Maybe it's not as valuable as it thinks it is.

That maybe the company doesn't need them either.

Just a thought.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

you know what else a business needs to do?

MARKET RESEARCH

thats how they figure out the right thing to sell to the most people. Its all just a proverbial leak in the breeze without it
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SigmarineArchers.JPG 
Views:	254 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	14939
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SigmarineArchers.JPG 
Views:	254 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	14939
    New models? Not bad. I'm liking the new Stormcasts. That paint scheme just makes them look horrendous...

I'm personally waiting to see what the new Lizardmen/Seraphon models are gonna look like. I kinda like the little bits of fluff I've heard on them, and am eager to see how well they fit with the old Lizardmen stuff. I always wanted to play Lizardmen, just never got around to collecting them.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    you know what else a business needs to do?

MARKET RESEARCH

thats how they figure out the right thing to sell to the most people. Its all just a proverbial leak in the breeze without it
    Thhpt. When your leadership are telepathic, and thus all knowing, market research is a complete waste of resources.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Page 42 of 64 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast