BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

"They look like Space Marines! I don't want 40k in my fantasy!"

Meanwhile, the daemon guys are exactly the same as their counterparts in 40k.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Madman View Post
    At the moment I thinking of going back to 40k even though the abundance of formations has soured the game somewhat; as for my other friends who quit 40K to jump to Fantasy it looks like they will be quitting table top gaming for good if they can't keep an 8th edition group going.
    IMO 7th ed 40k sucks balls so I've went all the way back to Epic Armageddon.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Chapter-Master

Path Walker, too suggest that people are upset about the end of Warhammer just because they can't play competitively any more is as stupid as it insulting and wrong. Plenty of people playing 8th played it for fun, in a relaxed way. In fact, at the tournies I went to over the last couple of years, there were very few people actually using power gaming lists. Far more people had fluffy lists or just nice models.

As for GW having thought it through, I'm not sure they have. At least not well enough. Can you honestly tell me you think the new copyright friendly names are anything other than ridiculous? Do you think measuring from models rather than bases is a good idea? What about the apparent lack of anything resembling a balancing mechanic?
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Well, most of the old names were ridiculous too. GW has always been bad with names. The new names are absolutely ridiculous, are they more ridiculous than the old ones? Debatable. Measuring from models used to be a thing too so its no big deal, both 40k and WFB have always bounced between abstract and less abstract rules. We don't have enough information about the rules to condemn balance yet.

Remember at its core Warhammer is, as the tagline says, a game of fantasy battles. If we can still have fantasy battles it is still Warhammer. There were peopel saying that some of the armies in the new warhammer world were founded by survivors ffrom the old one so if that's true then the new setting is not completely new.

People need to relax and wait until we actually have the full picture before declaring the game dead. I mean this happens every edition lol.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

Some good points, Eldargal. A lot of the older names are pretty silly- this is far from the first time we've seen that from GW.

I do find the new setting to have some of the flair of the old setting, and I personally like the reversal they're setting up (ie- the forces of Order are invading the mortal realms where Chaos rules).

The Sigmarites do not fit in anywhere in the old game, but the Khornate warriors look just like old Khorne to me. And changing a few names to make the setting feel less like another Tolkien copy sounds like a good thing to me (instead of simply using 'Dwarfs' over 'Dwarves').

But the mechanics we've seen definitely create a game that will not feel like the old game at all, and I can't see how old veteran players would recognize the game as the one they're invested in.

As for balance and force building- I do worry that we have seen everything involved here, but I can hope that the new Warscrolls will show up and prove us all wrong.

I could see something interesting come out through those dataslate-like things (battalions?) because they create a need for balance between units and huge characters, and also make factions into a thing the rules support.

The fear is that we've seen everything we need to, and the hope is that we haven't. I guess we only have one more day to wait.

www.GardenNinja.com

Iron Father

C
    Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    People need to relax and wait until we actually have the full picture before declaring the game dead. I mean this happens every edition lol.
    Couldn't agree more, I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing so far. I haven't touched WFB for 7 years at least. This has me excited and I will be ordering AoS tomorrow. Isn't that the point of this release ?
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Indeedy.

And as has been touched upon in the rumour thread, the wording of the 'press release' letter is....curious. Whilst far from definitive, it does suggest that this is simply one of various starter sets. For instance 'this starter set' instead of 'the starter set'.

Splitting hairs, quite possibly. But given normally reliable rumour mongers still maintaining there's a grander scaled game coming in August....
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

It's gonna be a big weekend. We've got all those Warscrolls to pore through!
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

I keep thinking I'll have to make a decision whether or not to buy the rulebook before I remember that no I won't lol.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by The Madman View Post
    I think it's a bit rude posting this thread; there are a lot of people here who have been playing Fantasy for a good number of years only to have the entire game swept from under their feet and then given a game that doesn't resemble what they fell in love with. It has left a number of players and units with an uncertain future for 9th edition, hell from the lore leaks The Empire have yet to be mentioned yet everyone else has. If 40K was in this position there'd be as much upset as there is now.

At the moment I thinking of going back to 40k even though the abundance of formations has soured the game somewhat; as for my other friends who quit 40K to jump to Fantasy it looks like they will be quitting table top gaming for good if they can't keep an 8th edition group going.
    Rude? to at least 1 person out of the billons of people on this planet so saying this is rude is pointless as it is not rude its a opinion and I believe in the change could be what the age represents a fresh start a new beginning everyone on the same page... what I am tired of people saying because there used to something and the new edition is out it change's core things so there like "I do not like this change because I need effort to learn the new structure there for its not warhammer because I have been playing for + years so I know better" Its warhammer because its a IP of games workshop regardless of how they change the setting...

If you think like papa nurgle and don't change things will stagnate and they will get boring and more people will end up selling there models and leaving
    If you think like tzeentch and change you will keep being interesting because of the amount of new and fun things to do
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast