BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    I also like the way he compares the rules for a game changing to the jewish holocaust. Yes, surely the plight of the poor competitive gamer is comparable to the attempt to systematically slaughter an entire people.
    you're right, it was in poor taste, I had been tempted to put a disclaimer in there that I believe that part was over the top.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Imagine being the type of person that gets so mad about fantasy space barbies that they write all that nonsense.
    Imagine being the type of person that gets so mad about fantasy space barbies that they rage on the internet about the type of person that gets so mad about fantasy space barbies....... stay classy path
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

First-Captain

Just a tad.

Anyway, what I'm most interested in for AoS if the unit synergy, the Keywords really let you do some cool stuff when considering army design, I'm currently enjoying basing a Nurgle Warriors of Chaos army around a central unit of Blight Kings and a Nurgle Lord, tough to kill and can heal other Nurgle units, including the Marked warriors, slowly grinding over the opposition, sounds perfectly Nurgly to me.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-pope View Post
    Somewhere in that wall of text that was quoted was something about buying a 2000 point army because they had no clue the game was going to change. Sorry, but it was called The End Times. It said on the books from the very start that this was the end of the Warhammer world.

I'm not thrilled about the setting change, or the move to AoS and i make no secret of that. But i think it's better to criticize GW for things they have actually done.
    to be fair, if you were in this hobby during the storm of chaos and the 13th black crusade world events, well you would be forgiven for being highly skeptical of claims GW makes regarding the fate of the setting, one merely needs to look at the skepticism posted by people (mystery included ironically) during the rumours of End times to understand
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Morgrim View Post
    how the frick do you balance this thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Experience.
    But isn't it supposed to attract lots of new, i.e. inexperienced, players?

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    to be fair, if you were in this hobby during the storm of chaos and the 13th black crusade world events, well you would be forgiven for being highly skeptical of claims GW makes regarding the fate of the setting, one merely needs to look at the skepticism posted by people (mystery included ironically) during the rumours of End times to understand
    I was there for both, neither time did they say it was the end of the setting, just that there would be a big change.Granted that never manifested.
    Warseer refugee.

And now they've done big change - HOW VERY EFFING DARE THEY.

Not that the serial whiners just like to whine. Not at all.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

I was there for both, neither time did they say it was the end of the setting, just that there would be a big change.Granted that never manifested.
    never meant to imply you weren't just pointing out how the use of hyperbole is common by GW (and given the settings thats not really a bad thing)

edit: its also worht noting that "end times" and or moving hte setting forward doesnt necessitate the squating of all the old armies, that was a conscious decision by GW to try and force people to buy whole new armies as per Harry's original rumours
    Last edited by daboarder; 07-07-2015 at 07:29 AM.

Brother-Sergeant

never meant to imply you weren't just pointing out how the use of hyperbole is common by GW (and given the settings thats not really a bad thing)
    I can see it from both angles to be honest. On the one hand, GW could (and should) have been even clearer with their intentions, to avoid this scenario. But on the other, they have shareholders to answer to and have to keep sales going. How many of us would have stopped buying entirely during the End Time period, just in case we didn't like what was next? I know i would of - and in fact did the minute i found out the planet was destroyed. The White Dwarf with the Sigmarine is the first Fantasy product i've bought since the last page of Archaeon was leaked.
    Warseer refugee.

Chapter-Master

I can see it from both angles to be honest. On the one hand, GW could (and should) have been even clearer with their intentions, to avoid this scenario. But on the other, they have shareholders to answer to and have to keep sales going. How many of us would have stopped buying entirely during the End Time period, just in case we didn't like what was next? I know i would of - and in fact did the minute i found out the planet was destroyed. The White Dwarf with the Sigmarine is the first Fantasy product i've bought since the last page of Archaeon was leaked.
    and thats a good point but brings us to the edit I made above.

what it really boils down to is that GW has kinda priced themselves to the point that they are required to FORCE sales by changing the game, it used to be that people bought new armies because they had a million and 1 potential themes to pull from the background, but then the game got to expensive so everyone stopped having multiple armies (even within the same faction, I know people with 4 CSM armies, one for each god) that kind of shift in community army design was always inevitably going to lead to the situation where GW could no longer shift models. Not because people wont buy, but because the expense of ANOTHER army was to much. Hence the current predicament really.

Ill do something here and use an ancedote: its not perfedct but it gets the idea across.

Im currently playing infinty, and going into the game I told myself that I would only have the 1 force, and a limited one at that.

That lasted about a month, ive since expanded into my second, wiht a 3rd and potentially 4th on the way, why? its because I can build an army from small bits of my disposable income very quickly without feeling like the money is going to waste and not getting me anywhere. I have considered the same in 40k in recent years but each time I tally up the cost of said army and the result for what I am getting is a resounding no.

now 40k has more miniatures, and the point isnt about the cost of each mini, its about the cost of each mini relative to the number required for the game. and thats the part GW has out of whack
    Last edited by daboarder; 07-07-2015 at 07:38 AM.

Brother-Sergeant

and thats a good point but brings us to the edit I made above.

what it really boils down to is that GW has kinda priced themselves to the point that they are required to FORCE sales by changing the game, it used to be that people bought new armies because they had a million and 1 potential themes to pull from the background, but then the game got to expensive so everyone stopped having multiple armies (even within the same faction, I know people with 4 CSM armies, one for each god) that kind of shift in community army design was always inevitably going to lead to the situation where GW could no longer shift models. Not because people wont buy, but because the expense of ANOTHER army was to much. Hence the current predicament really.
    Which is why i'm not convinced that AoS will succeed in the long run. Launching a new game without changing the prices and the way they market won't achieve the turn around they want. There are certainly positives about AoS. I actually like the rules, i like the abandoning of points in favour of narrative and players using their self control, i won't shed a single tear that the overly competitive elements of the playerbase are leaving the hobby.
    But without addressing the core problems with GW, it's not going to work. As i said fairly often before i abandoned the cess pit that Warseer has become, when the makers of adult sex toys have more of a social media presence than you do, your business model needs to change.
    Warseer refugee.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast