BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

I agree that trolling the people that are angry is as lame as those people trolling the people that are trying to work with it.

Chapter-Master

At the moment I'm having serious flashbacks to the EPIC 40k (3rd edition) debacle. EPIC 40k is a solid game on it's own but it oversimplified things to the point that the 2nd edition people walked in mass and it failed to generate a substantial new following.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

I did this thread as a experiment to those hating the new format to see there reaction to the title and trust me I am not disappointed with the results lets put it this way because I the post OP made a post based on my love of how people hate the change's they retaliated with the hate of the new rules in a way that defines a human and that is COMPREHENTION unfortunately they cant accept something that does not last forever things change is it better to give up and just change... no but is it better to deny change could ever happen... This is the fault of every human I guess

The problem with people is they don't see the benefit fantasy has over 40k lets look at it this way you have the rules for 8th edition you have the rules for free for AoS you can use your collection of models in both formats without paying more money. Now look at 40k you have 1 format and if they get a rule update for 8th edition they need to buy a new rulebook because you cant use your models in the next edition without the rule book people wont play with you because of that due to unbalanced issues.

The games format in AOS is now of rock paper scissors lets use this example instead of units okay for deployment

You place paper unit they place scissor unit to counter your paper unit
    Your next unit you place rock unit to counter there scissor unit they place a rock unit to counter your scissor unit

Now both sides have the same unit types there is your balance bring all your collection but think wisely what they put on the table because if you have no rock units and they have scissor units they will steamroll you because you cant counter them THAT THERE IS BALANCE NOT A BROKEN FORMAT as everyone has been saying about balance.

Now review two army's and look for similarity's so far I have found there are Horde units with a special ability that gets greater if boosted by a hero and its numbers Special chart units that loose its effectiveness when they take wounds and elite units that are huge but are more of a glass cannon.

Stop looking at the game as lists and rather start thinking like a general the narrative when you bring your collection to the game is you have marched all over the land and you run into your foe some generals in wars do not throw all there troops into battle because at least if they lost they could retreat to a better position to mount a counter attack now the placement order is how a general would scout out his foe if a general saw that they had cannons he would speak to his advisers and declare the best soldiers to counter the threat and so on and so on.

I hope this gives people a idea of what age of sigmar is and what it can become in greatness if you only sit down and look and not just jump into a argument.
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    True, but this thread seems more aimed at the Hyperbole Brigade - those who have ever refused to give anything new a chance, especially if it involves GW.
    The other Hyperbole Brigade - those who say everything GW does is awesome, even if they haven't tried it yet, and rabidly attack any dissent - is also tiring. And this thread is part of that Hyperbole Brigade.

Using your example, it's like going to a restaurant with friends, and the staff got rid of a classic recipe and released a new one, replacing, say, a hearty "bistro burger" (using one restaurant's sandwich with that name, it'd be a nice thick burger cooked to your request, with cheddar cheese, applewood smoked bacon, onion rings, and bistro sauce, and pickles if you want) with the equivalent (in all respects) of a Big Mac. Now, sure, plenty of people might like a Big Mac. But you can only take so much of your friend telling you the Big Mac is the best thing ever, and how it's better than the other burger which clearly would have stayed on the menu if it was as good as a Big Mac, and the $25 you're paying for a Big Mac is clearly worth it because it's a niche place to eat, and the Big Mac you can get for $4 at McDonald's, while being exactly the same, can't be as good because it's not made by the right people. If you talk about that old bistro burger being nice, the other friend shouts you down and tells you his Big Mac is superior. If you say anything other than praise for the Big Mac, the friend shouts you down, calls you a negative git, and badgers you about not admitting the superiority of the Big Mac, while also saying that you just haven't tried the Big Mac yet and, if you do, you'll admit it's the best thing EVER... even if you ate a Big Mac right in front of him the day before.

It's not going to a restaurant, getting the same food as before, and someone not liking it. AoS is NOT Warhammer. Not even remotely the same kind of game. Only a person who doesn't even know what AoS is, and hasn't seen any models for it, much less rules, could make that kind of comparison.

Your both right and your both wrong its both sides because maybe just maybe there is no good or evil in the world only a choice with consequence's to said choice that everyone has to bare with and about the good or evil side.

Good could be to someone who likes something wile another person could see it as evil for you liking it or it is against what he sees is good and evil and vice verse.
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

First-Captain

Thats the worst analogy I have ever read. And i've read more bad analogies than a crab in a wedding dress.

Iron Father

I'm sorry Xaric, but the title of this thread and your "experiment" are far to contentious for me. I'm all for debate but trolltastic threads don't help. I'm sure you had good intentions.

I really can understand the anger and upset from some of the warhammer community. GW just wiped the slate clean with fantasy and threw the game they love in the bin. It's been replaced with something entirely different. GW have tried to make the transition as painless as possible with free rules and army compendiums but it is what it is. I don't think GW have even aimed this at current fantasy players. It's aimed at new customers.
    Me personally, I am very positive about AoS. I think the models are amazing (all GW models are imo) and for once it's a game I can afford to get into and include my kids. 40k with its allies, unbound and formations just got too complicated for me and I dropped it as soon as 7th was released. This is GWs answer to players like me.
    One thing I hope we don't see is the Warhammer players so disgruntled by AoS they drop 40k as well and move their hobby budget to pastures new.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    I did this thread as a experiment to those hating the new format to see there reaction to the title and trust me I am not disappointed with the results
    In other words, you were trolling. At least you're honest i guess.
    Warseer refugee.

Chapter-Master

For some odd reason the whole AoS thing makes me think of this:

My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

I think there are a few reasons for the strong reactions to AoS:

1. Its radically different than what we are used to
    2. There is so much we dont know
    3. Nothing was communicated to us about changes, WHY they chose to do X, etc. which makes it hard to know "is rule Y intentional, or an oversight?"

Those issues, regardless of the quality of AoS and if its the right move or not, make it hard to get on board for a lot of folks.

Regarding future releases, it seems the emphasis is on campaign books and developing the story. I really like this. I dont want to buy 10 different army books, but I would probably buy campaign settings with scenarios, army comps, and dynamic themed content that makes AoS an evolving game as it goes on.

But we dont know...

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast