BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

You're conveniently ignoring the fact that it has a lot of things that the interwebz would tell us will drive people away from the game:
    Giant loopholes and terrible rules writing
    A massive dependence on houserules, gentleman's agreements, etc
    Options that are easy to powergame and very difficult to balance
    Units or characters that no longer have rules

Those are not features, and they are giant turnoffs for a lot of people.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

the reason no ones buying new models for this format because a lot of people are being careful AoS looks good to me but no one wants to start a new fantasy army because of the track record of information changing radically remember the update to flamers and screamers making them stupidly strong then worthless later.

Some people want to wait till this is out for a wile before they start and those who are like "wtf" are just uncertain to the new format name one edition of warhammer fantasy/40k or expiation where no one has said nothing bad about it... no? it always happens when something threatens someone's shiny toys.

Okay about the part of the rules in every core rule book it clearly tells you these are guidelines and please don't use the hole "oh well if I can just make up rules why even have rules in the first place" first of all its a guideline to give you a reference to plan or come up with idea's so you don't make a mary sue rule and screw everyone else over and become that guy.

The problem with above is people are soooo freaking lazy and want a easy ride that if someone does not tell them letter for letter in the format of the company they are buying from they rage how they pay'ed money and should not use there brains to add to the game... because there customers lets put it this way you assemble the models and paint the models why not assemble the rules and paint the restrictions?

(edited part just came to mind) Think about the game of skyrim for pc a standalone game with no true end game as you can do anything and follow quests want to know how people made the game better and last so long with little expansions? 2 words MODDING SUPPORT people continue to this day to add stuff to skyrim to enhance there game play wacky and silly to serious and graphical updates they did not go "well I've completed the game time to put it down" no they went "oooh what's this mod lets try it"

My personal view is becoming more bitter and spiteful that I hope this format sticks and screws over every whiny child who's having a hissy fit over this new format so they leave the game and I don't have to play such boring and petty people who cant handle change and hope to stick with people who can enjoy the game for the game invent some rules to enhance the gameplay.
    Last edited by Xaric; 07-05-2015 at 11:45 AM.
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

(edited part just came to mind) Think about the game of skyrim for pc a standalone game with no true end game as you can do anything and follow quests want to know how people made the game better and last so long with little expansions? 2 words MODDING SUPPORT people continue to this day to add stuff to skyrim to enhance there game play wacky and silly to serious and graphical updates they did not go "well I've completed the game time to put it down" no they went "oooh what's this mod lets try it"
    That is a bad example. "Basic Skyrim" is playable no matter what. Yo do not run frequently in situations where you have to mod the game yoursef to proceed.
    There are games like that on the market, they are either unfinished or get called out for beeing a bugfest you should avoid.

My "problems" with AOS are basically that the gameplay is boring and I do not like the new background at all.
    Tried 5 games today and it is really really underwhelming. And I really hope (in vain) that BL keeps publishing "oldhammer" books instead of AOS books because I do know I won't buy them.

That's your personal view and I accept that Charon but I am more annoyed at people who are reviewing the product with the mind-set to make it really bad with there attitude of playing poorly on purpose with silly conga lines because of loose formation or using all really strong models vs core troops and pointing out "this is broken omg" with the system because they choose to play it that way its unprofessional if they want to review it this way then the person reviewing should be ignored by the highest degree.

Yes there are some problems with the game as are all games that have there problems but it drives me insane when someone needs to put a magnifying glass over negative parts of a system to prove they personally hate the game but must make everyone hate the game without viewing the pros.

Also the skyrim comment is a reference view point that shows a game can be enhanced by the community rather then turning to the guy who made the game and demand content.
    Last edited by Xaric; 07-05-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Brother-Captain

I see it as Warhammer going back to its roots.
    "Here's a game to play with your model collection."
    That's how it got started after all.
    I totally agree that from an organised tournament POV this is not the right product.
    But then it wasn't designed to be, and while I'm sure the vocal element will nay-say me 25 years of gaming and some 7 years of working for GW have taught me that tournament players make up a VERY minor minority of the hobby.
    Hell, people who play aren't even that big a majority compared to people who collect cool toys.
    This, to me, looks like GW banking on free rules, low buy-in costs, easy learning and an emphasis on play-for-fun gamin bringing them more customers long term than they'll lose in the transition.
    I needn't remind some of you how much nicer attending events got after the 7th into 8th rage-quitting of so many neck-beards at once.
    This is not to imply all tournament attendees are neck-beards, or that wanting a tightly balanced rule set is a bad thing.
    Merely to say that Warhammer Fantasy owes more in origin to roleplaying and fun than it does competition and balance.
    And if that's what GW want to encourage you'll see more of me in store.
    If you prefer your game tournament focused, well there are products out there for you too. Go forth and prosper.
    But maybe try this game too, since it's free and you own the minis anyway eh?
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

People do not need a maginfying glass. People are different.
    If YOU enjoy it, that is good for YOU.
    Some poeple do not. And I think it is rather rude to tell to to "**** off" after they invested years and lots of money in a game they liked.

Fantasy battles had a flair that made it still stand out of the mass but it was not enough. I really don't know what AOS really brings to the table. If I want to play a game like AOS I stick to warmachine as I never liked/got involved in the story either but at least the rules are quite solid and the game is overall enjoyable.

So again. It is fine that you value your pink glasses and think everything new is adorable and GW is the bestestest ever but keep in mind that there is also a chunk of people who enjoyed the game like it was and loved the stories of the old world which will not continue.

Also pointing out stupid mechanics is important because you WILL run into them. And the younger the audience is the more often you will run into them.
    "Look I have Archaon and his entire gentlemens club of warlords, they are the coolest ever"
    "Hey come on, this is a bull**** list and unfun to pl...."
    "Why? I really like them!"
    "Well.. whatever..."

Also people claim for DECADES that there will be a "social darwinism" eventually... but as it turns out there is none. Quite the opposite as the "that guy" faction is very long lasting while everyone else leaves sooner or later.

I totally agree that from an organised tournament POV this is not the right product.
    No concern here. Tournament crowd dealt with all systems their own way anyways. Everyone there is full aware of what he may do and what he can't do and what he will run into.
    However this is not true for random pickup games. And THAT is a major concern. People have different opinions of power levels you you might end up discussing the powerlevels longer than you actually play.
    Last edited by Charon; 07-05-2015 at 12:27 PM.

With the free to download rules, the core game is much easier to update as well. If it turns out the lack of points turns out to be a huge problem, they could always update the warscrolls with points and no one loses out. In previous editions, the couldn't very well recall every book to amend rules, but now, with no one paying for rules that is very much more possible.

I'm interested to see where the game goes. At the moment, the army building part of AoS seems to put a little too much faith in thee playing community, but it could simply be not having any previous experience to call on with this rule set to compare.

It will all end up fine in the end.

rude to tell people to **** off did you not read my personal view or is your mind full of ignorance I said My personal view is becoming more bitter and spiteful because I am sick and tired of people who look at something that could be what the game needs to encourage new players into the game but we got vets crying like babys because they fear it will destroy there current meta... yes I bloody said it its not the new rules its not the new stuff what the vets are worried about is there god damn meta to the current fantasy game "oh nose we cant no longer use that cheese to claim I have the biggest peen this must mean the game is crap"

I was talking about they are setting reviews up in ways to make the game look poorly if a kid brings something that is themed like you said archaon and his warlords then that's good for me that could in fact happen in the fluff but I am talking about people who would do this a blood thirstier vs. group of 10 basic troops because we clearly set this up as what people would play as in a standard game of fantasy... because of course everyone use's a HQ vs standard troops to review a battle report to justify balance.

Thanks for this, Badrukk.

Watching reactions on Twitter and elsewhere has been interesting. There's certainly a variety of opinion, and a lot of "shock of the new" that we're all going through, whether our opinions are positive, negative or mixed.

The other thing to bear in mind is - this is the first weekend. There's a lot more stuff coming - sourcebooks, models, terrain, more story, more art. We can see what the foundations of the Age of Sigmar look like (ie. the ruleset), but it'll be a while before we can see the full shape of the house they're building on it. I'm enjoying the ride right now - there's a lot here that excites me - but if it starts going in a direction I don't like, I'll step off. But not on the basis of the first weekend's releases.
    Last edited by Cap'nSmurfs; 07-05-2015 at 01:09 PM.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    rude to tell people to **** off did you not read my personal view or is your mind full of ignorance I said My personal view is becoming more bitter and spiteful because I am sick and tired of people who look at something that could be what the game needs to encourage new players into the game but we got vets crying like babys because they fear it will destroy there current meta... yes I bloody said it its not the new rules its not the new stuff what the vets are worried about is there god damn meta to the current fantasy game "oh nose we cant no longer use that cheese to claim I have the biggest peen this must mean the game is crap"
    Nice strawman you made there, congratulations on defeating him. I'm sure there are pillocks out there who are sad they can no longer use their uber cheese list of cheese to win against Little Timmy who just got his army for christmas because he wants to spend time with Grandad painting. But to accuse everyone who has issues over AoS of being such a person is not only insulting, but patently untrue.

Some people are upset because the game no longer plays anything like the game they've invested time and money in. They are upset because a setting they loved was ended. Now i'm sure you'll make the tired refrain of "just play 8th", but some people actually liked knowing that their chosen army would get new shiny things in the future, that rules would be adjusted.

AoS is not for them. That's okay. I'm adapting to the new ruleset, i've enjoyed my games so far. But i certainly wouldn't insult those that don't.
    Warseer refugee.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast