BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Look; negative reviews get clicks and comments, which means ad revenue.
    Just like a tornado sells news papers but calm weather doesn't.
    And for some people hating on whatever GW brings out is all they have left.
    It's their choice.
    Just like some people would defend GW if the changed over to making their models out of clubbed baby seal and the tears of starving orphans.
    It's just what happens.

As for pointing out rules flaws, it is a good idea if you spot an error to let someone know.
    But picking on the intended design ain't going to get you anywhere.
    The message here is clearly "We do not believe fun and balanced are the same thing, we believe that narrative scenarios are more fun than balanced competitive matches."
    How many other products are there out there that fit that category? That halfway house between RPG and Wargame?
    Not too many.
    And GW obviously want that sector of the market.
    Now, if you miss old WFB there is NOTHING stopping you playing it (including in-store as it will be a currently available product),
    as I mentioned in my opening post we know the books remain on I tunes.

Charon raised a very good point about Background.
    I'm sad to see the old world I knew like the back of my hand go.
    But lately they'd filled in the map, the stories were re-telling themselves and even a big shake-up wouldn't have freshened things up that much.
    But from a miniatures production point of view they were down to expanding by dressing humans up in different suits, or levering things in ret-con style.
    Plus re-making the same stuff over and over.
    And I'm guessing they're hoping people will be excited to try new things, rather than clinging to the old.
    The Discworld has evolved from DnD gag to fully fledged steampunk victoriana sci-fi world in the time it's taken the Old World to re-fight the final war against chaos twice over with hefty ret-conning abound.
    And you'd be shocked the number of fans who didn't say "semaphore and quantum physics? No sir, I'm never reading a discworld novel again."
    But every new edition of Warhammer we get the same clarion call of "The game is dead!" only for it to not be.

To be clear, I WILL still be playing 8th too. Because now I have 2 Games I can play with my miniatures in store (and 5 outside, as I have 3rd, 4th,7th, Mordheim and WH Skirmish at home too).
    It's not like they're coming to our houses and taking all our old books away.
    we can still play old editions, read the old books, and even play AOS using your old models and decide it's still pre end times.
    Or during the Storm of Chaos.
    Or in the Tarmakhand alternate future.
    Or in the other alternate setting that WH-Online existed in.
    Or whatever you like really.
    But yeah, I never will find out what happened to Brunner the Bounty Hunter, or the Marienburg River-Watch. And that does make me a little sad.
    So I guess I'll make the models, make up some Warscrolls for them, and decide for myself with some friends.
    And i'm going to give the new books a try too (pre-ordered the novella, 'cos why not), and like all products and services everywhere if I don't like it I won't buy any more. Or I'll wait for reviews until I do.
    After all, a flaming slayer-god battling the mother of all magma dragons sounds pretty cool.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Badrukk View Post
    After all, a flaming slayer-god battling the mother of all magma dragons sounds pretty cool.
    Got to admit that is something i am eager to learn more about. Dwarves never quite worked for me the way they were, they were just too generic fantasy. I want to know what the duardin will do to fix that.
    Warseer refugee.

Brother-Captain

Brunner's fate is covered in Lord of the End Times, I can tell you if you don't want to read it.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Beginning to wonder just how many permutations of 'not really for me, ta' there are...let alone why they need repeating ad nauseom.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

Kids bloody love Age of Sigmar, it'll be a success.

The manager in the OP is right, people will balance among themselves and make it fun, Realms of Chaos and the whole of 3rd edition didn't really work with points, and people still enjoyed it and play it to this day.

People wanted to game to evolve and the story to move on, it has, this will be a moving story, campaign sets every 6 months to advance the plot, this is going to be an interesting ride
    Last edited by Path Walker; 07-05-2015 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Kids bloody love Age of Sigmar, it'll be a success.

The manager in the OP is right, people will balance among themselves and make it fun, Realms of Chaos and the whole of 3rd edition didn't really work with points, and people still enjoyed it and play it to this day.

People wanted to game to evolve and the story to move on, it has, this will be a moving story, campaign sets every 6 months to advance the plot, this is going to be an interesting ride
    Bloody good point about Realm of Chaos.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Every time I see someone say that this game will be great for newbies and kids, I have to wonder: Have any of you actually seen kids and newbies play games? ^^;

You don't need looser and less restrictive rules for them, you need tighter, more balanced, and less ambiguous rules. Kids especially can become That Guy / Girl / Person very quickly without even trying, just because the game is rewarding them for it and they don't have the social experience yet to realize that they shouldn't.

The ambiguity and lack of balance in earlier editions of the game are part of the reason it had so many TFGs in it. Players can certainly fudge the rules and become Dungeon Masters for their narrative games, but they can do that in tighter rulesets too; they just have a better idea of what will happen when they do.

I am just stressed so I am sorry for my outburst but why cant people just accept things for what they are and instead of poke the negative parts that you dislike with a stick to a open wound and try to come up with constructive solutions to seal the wound by ideas of how you personally would balance the game there is a lot of stuff on the war scrolls you could go by to add restrictions to the game for one example limit hero's and monsters keys.

Also who said anything about disallowing people to play the old format why are most of the vets assuming that AoS removes 8th edition hell if you have 3ed edition you can still play it with the corresponding army books.
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    I am just stressed so I am sorry for my outburst but why cant people just accept things for what they are and instead of poke the negative parts that you dislike with a stick to a open wound and try to come up with constructive solutions to seal the wound by ideas of how you personally would balance the game there is a lot of stuff on the war scrolls you could go by to add restrictions to the game for one example limit hero's and monsters keys.

Also who said anything about disallowing people to play the old format why are most of the vets assuming that AoS removes 8th edition hell if you have 3ed edition you can still play it with the corresponding army books.
    Those are actually good questions!

I think the answer is because for better or for worse, Games Workshop was in charge of a myth: the Old World and its history. They've more or less said that the story is over, and that that game and its world have officially vanished. People will continue to play in its world, but they will diminish with time, and many games stores will push them aside to make room for the next big thing.

I think there wouldn't be nearly as many complaints if this wasn't replacing Warhammer Fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    I am just stressed so I am sorry for my outburst but why cant people just accept things for what they are and instead of poke the negative parts that you dislike with a stick to a open wound and try to come up with constructive solutions to seal the wound by ideas of how you personally would balance the game there is a lot of stuff on the war scrolls you could go by to add restrictions to the game for one example limit hero's and monster.
    My issue is simple: GW want a premium price for their product. I expect a premium product in return. That includes the rules. I should not have to fix their system in order to have fun with it. Given that there are viable alternatives available now I see no reason whatsoever to give GW the time of day regarding AoS. It honestly seems idiotic that anyone would willingly accept such a situation. Fair enough for the people who like it as is, but for those who don't, why? It makes zero sense to me. But far be it from me to tell anyone not to do as they like. If you enjoy AoS then have fun with it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast