BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Honestly, its about that first interaction with the game, most customers GW are interested in are utterly new to wargaming, there is a lot of new information and concepts to get hold of straight away, and anything that makes that first intro game easier, gives them something they know how to do, is worth sacrificing almost anything else for.
    That first interaction is something that's easy for most of us to forget and a monster rulebook can easily cause someone's eyes to glaze over. I do think the simple rules they've introduced have the potential to bring in new blood simply by being so easy to learn/teach.

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    I think just the idea that there was a different arena to play games in where they could try the things they want without fear of being humiliated on the table was enough, of course getting the first few people signed up to make up fun names for their armies and writing intros and stuff set a precedent which really helped.

Engaging with the community really works, most players probably don't want to play super competitive 40k but are stuck because if one player does, everyone else has to adapt or face humiliation, giving them a place to feel safe in more narrative style gaming is worth the effort in my opinion.
    My close circle has done this style of gaming for years... never tried it in a public setting but I guess it can work as long as someone clubs anyone who gets carried away.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

The thing that I'm wondering most about this game is who exactly is the target market?

It's obvious that current WHFB players aren't since it's such a sharp departure from what we knew and type of game that we wanted (ie, ranked mass battles).

The introduction of Sigmarines seems like it might appeal to those playing 40k but then they're just cannibalizing sales.

The Skirmish game market is already crowded with well regarded games (Warmahordes, Malifaux, Infinity, et al.) and I can't see many converts coming those systems since they're used to playing games that are highly structured and intended to be balanced.

The kid friendly argument might hold water, but with games-workshop not doing any marketing (outside of their current customer base) and the lack of an existing established player base since this is a whole new product, who is going to introduce these kids to the game?

Alot of the advantage that GW had with Warhammer is that there was always an existing player base to introduce and encourage new comers. With the launch of this new game and the amount of toxic fallout that it has engendered amongst the community, is there any reasonable expectation that a legion of new players is going to come pooring out of the woodwork?

I'm not trying to be negative and I don't know how well the game will be received but I am a little stumped about the choices they've made. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on the inner workings of GW can help me understand.

Chapter-Master

From the way they've handled things I believe their target has to be younger non-gamers. I don't expect anyone playing an established structured game to jump ship for this and I wouldn't be surprised if the older player base checks out and keeps playing 8th/ETs or goes with KOW 2.0. I think their existing player base had dwindled to the point that they were willing to sacrifice the bulk of them to try something completely new anyhow. It'll be interesting to watch the full roll out of this and see which way they go.

Also, if the models are nice enough a lot of people will pick them up regardless of what game system they use them with.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    From the way they've handled things I believe their target has to be younger non-gamers. I don't expect anyone playing an established structured game to jump ship for this and I wouldn't be surprised if the older player base checks out and keeps playing 8th/ETs or goes with KOW 2.0. I think their existing player base had dwindled to the point that they were willing to sacrifice the bulk of them to try something completely new anyhow. It'll be interesting to watch the full roll out of this and see which way they go.

Also, if the models are nice enough a lot of people will pick them up regardless of what game system they use them with.
    I think you're right about the models and about the vets! I'll be playing 8th and the new KoW while trolling e-bay to get my hands of the chaos half of the starter

I guess my issue with the young non-gamers is I don't know how they expect to reach them. GW doesn't reach out through advertising, they rely on the community, and after making the already small Warhammer Fantasy community even smaller with this big shake up, will there be enough existing players left to effectively do that outreach for the game?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
    I think you're right about the models and about the vets! I'll be playing 8th and the new KoW while trolling e-bay to get my hands of the chaos half of the starter

I guess my issue with the young non-gamers is I don't know how they expect to reach them. GW doesn't reach out through advertising, they rely on the community, and after making the already small Warhammer Fantasy community even smaller with this big shake up, will there be enough existing players left to effectively do that outreach for the game?
    They probably plan on an outreach effort from their store managers and the private store owners in the US and about. I'm like you and have no real idea how they plan to get the product in front of kids. I remember in the late 80s early 90s they had some product in book stores and comic shops where they could pick up random kids (like myself) that floated through. Once they get a person hooked they don't have to do anything else.

And I will actually pick up the starter set for the models. Sigmarites will make some great Fluff scaled marines and the Chaos models will be awesome and easy to use as 40k Khorne models. Modeling projects is pretty much all I do with the current GW stuff given the state of the games.
    My Truescale Insanity

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456