BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default lack of customizable clam packs

I've recently picked up DA and Eldar and its just a quick complaint but.... why cant i customize my HQ at all.... i have an autarch that i cannot make weapons for and space marine captain same deal. the conversions for the space marines is easier but still... these new hq packs are so disappointing. especially the chaplain even though its incredible looking

I did prefer the older kits that gave you a variety of options to build your characters (there were more of these for WFB - the old SM captain is the only 40k one I can think of), but the clampack characters are plastic so it's not exactly hard to convert them.

Never understood this either. IF you look at the Dark Eldar line you can swap EVERYTHING. Making all weapon options possible and allow for different poses. The new clamp packs are terrible monopose which are hard to kitbash.

Veteran-Sergeant

I suppose it depends on what you're trying to kitbash. The Succubus is easily converted (generally by swapping out weapon arms) provided you have a few boxes of Wych bits lying around. The Archon I'd imagine would be a bit harder and require Warrior and Scourge bits to properly kitbash.

The Haemonculus... yeah, I got nothing. That one will be hard to kitbash.

Veteran-Sergeant

Yeah I think the Dark Eldar suffered the most from this Clamcrap. New Archon looks horrible and the Haemonculus would have made a great mutipart kit. It feels like GW is missing oppertunities for great kits, but then I am reminded about what I read in a similar thread, Games Workshops goal is to sell models for top dollars and they have. When I bought my multi part plastic space marine captian he was $25, now a single pose Marine captian is $30 looks like they reached there goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenlak View Post
    Yeah I think the Dark Eldar suffered the most from this Clamcrap. New Archon looks horrible and the Haemonculus would have made a great mutipart kit. It feels like GW is missing oppertunities for great kits, but then I am reminded about what I read in a similar thread, Games Workshops goal is to sell models for top dollars and they have. When I bought my multi part plastic space marine captian he was $25, now a single pose Marine captian is $30 looks like they reached there goal.

yeh i remember a space marine captain i want to say 9 years ago when i was really into the hobby that was basically (if i recall correctly) a normal space marine with just a load of parts. everyone was freaking out about how cool he was.

- also from a profit POV wouldnt a space marine hq that can also be turned into say a librarian or techmarine in one box be more cost effective and more profitable? i personally hate that my hq looks just like everyone elses but as a competitive player i hate making conversions that are crappy...

First-Captain

The monopose models look so much better than any multipart kit could, its nice when they have options but I'd prefer them to look good over being able to choose a weapon myself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eosgreen View Post
    yeh i remember a space marine captain i want to say 9 years ago when i was really into the hobby that was basically (if i recall correctly) a normal space marine with just a load of parts. everyone was freaking out about how cool he was.

- also from a profit POV wouldnt a space marine hq that can also be turned into say a librarian or techmarine in one box be more cost effective and more profitable? i personally hate that my hq looks just like everyone elses but as a competitive player i hate making conversions that are crappy...
    It was a nice box but not feasilble for any other race, there were a few for Fantasy too, Empire General, Orc Warboss, High Elf Wizard and Empire Wizard, they're great kits but I don't think they were ever big sellers.

I tend to either make characters out of bits or e-bay older metal versions that I like and don't feel the need to customise. The clam pack stuff isn't for me, seems way too expensive for no customization options.

i mean couldnt this still easily be fixed? for example the new autarch model could have EASILY come with dark reaper weapons, various helms for aspect warriors, an option for warp spider upgrade? instead im FORCED to field a model with those weapons or be "that guy" who says "yeh it has a fusion pistol but he really doesnt"

Yes, wargear options... those would be nice... As a Necrons player, a very common upgrade, the Gauntlet of Fire, is only present on one model and a resin one at that (Imotekh the Stormlord). Also, there is no option in the new Necron Overlord model to even swap his Warscythe with the normal standard weapon, the Staff of Light, and he is also always holding a Res Orb