BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

The Night Lords trilogy follows a shrinking squad that has Uzas, a guy succumbing to Khorne's influence, and Cyrion who was blessed/cursed by Slaanesh and was also slowly succumbing to the desires it unlocked. Neither was loved or loved their God, but that dependency was there. More like a drug addict, especially in Cyrion's case.

To continue on the ADB fluff, because IMO the guy really does do the best he can at getting the "feel" of 40K right, the warband led by Iskandar at the start of The Talon of Horus is a barely held-together mess. They're constantly fleeing from persecution, they're unable to repair their vessel fully and even coming to neutral stations for repair and refitting is dangerous. They have Khornate soldiers, a Slaneeshi Emperor's Children character, and a Thousand Sons leader in Iskandar and his Rhubricae.

They're always scraping by, with never enough forces to truly crush an enemy. They spend their time running scared from Emperor's Children fleets as well as other Legions due to their loose allegiance with some of the Sons of Horus remnants. Everyone's killing and scavenging other Legion's gene-seed, weapons and vessels because there's no means to make more, not without hefty cost from the Dark Mechanicus.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

First-Captain

None of us are equipped the type of intelligence needed to understand just how and why the Chaos Gods do things.

Chapter-Master

yup, they fight among themselves endlessly. of course they have supply issues, they are not a unified whole, they have no administratum. trying to pretend that chaos isn't random and that they can all fire as many bolter shells as they like a) ignores all the fluff and novels, and b) takes away everything that makes chaos great.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

I also do not get why ppl always claim the warp follows no rules.
    We have a strict hierarchy based on power. We have (or had) other Warp Gods that represent Duty, Rulership, Order,.. (Eldar Gods were actual warp gods, nothing random about them).

Also I would be interested in why people join Chaos if you just going to become a cowardly, weak mutant with chesseballs for eyes and three crippled arms that lacks food, weapons and friends.
    Because every of these articles seems to point out how Chaos is just a bunch of sad losers.
    So what makes Chaos "great"?
    You end up in a worse spot before and all this "the great enemy" is just propaganda because after millienia of infighting and suppy issues they cant even pose a threat to anything.
    Last edited by Charon; 07-06-2015 at 06:07 AM.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    The Night Lords trilogy follows a shrinking squad that has Uzas, a guy succumbing to Khorne's influence, and Cyrion who was blessed/cursed by Slaanesh and was also slowly succumbing to the desires it unlocked. Neither was loved or loved their God, but that dependency was there. More like a drug addict, especially in Cyrion's case.

To continue on the ADB fluff, because IMO the guy really does do the best he can at getting the "feel" of 40K right, the warband led by Iskandar at the start of The Talon of Horus is a barely held-together mess. They're constantly fleeing from persecution, they're unable to repair their vessel fully and even coming to neutral stations for repair and refitting is dangerous. They have Khornate soldiers, a Slaneeshi Emperor's Children character, and a Thousand Sons leader in Iskandar and his Rhubricae.

They're always scraping by, with never enough forces to truly crush an enemy. They spend their time running scared from Emperor's Children fleets as well as other Legions due to their loose allegiance with some of the Sons of Horus remnants. Everyone's killing and scavenging other Legion's gene-seed, weapons and vessels because there's no means to make more, not without hefty cost from the Dark Mechanicus.
    you do realize thats not the ONLY book agout the legions right?

Just because its ONE authors interpretation does not mean it holds true for all.

Furthermore ignoring all the other books and sundry because they dont match your preconceived notion is pretty silly.

Actually the constant justification for chaos to have lol randumb and bad rules that goes on is pretty sad and boring, are you all so jealous of the awesome modelling possibilities?
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

First-Captain

ADB is just so great. I love that man.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    yup, they fight among themselves endlessly. of course they have supply issues, they are not a unified whole, they have no administratum. trying to pretend that chaos isn't random and that they can all fire as many bolter shells as they like a) ignores all the fluff and novels, and b) takes away everything that makes chaos great.
    neither does the imperium, its layer upon layer of jealousies, threats and old pacts that barely hold the crippled hulk together. All right there in the blurb really

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    ADB is just so great. I love that man.
    that we can agree on, he is a fantastic author, just not the only one
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    We have a strict hierarchy based on power. We have (or had) other Warp Gods that represent Duty, Rulership, Order,.. (Eldar Gods were actual warp gods, nothing random about them).

Also I would be interested in why people join Chaos if you just going to become a cowardly, weak mutant with chesseballs for eyes and three crippled arms that lacks food, weapons and friends.
    Because every of these articles seems to point out how Chaos is just a bunch of sad losers.
    Same reason people deal crack on the streets for less than minimum wage, the desperate hope that one day, they'll get to be on top and get all the power?

A strict heirarchy? Not at all. Abaddon is the nearest to a leader Chaos has, and even then it's a loose alliance. It's a miracle he ever manages to get all the various forces to not beat the crap out of each other rather than the enemy, as well as directing them to where the objective is and taking it out. IIRC, there's been several times certain legion forces have slipped the leash and screwed up his plans. It's to his credit that he recovers in these moments, and more than that, manages to excel at getting done what he needs to be done.

It doesn't matter what you want, mortal. It only matters what the Gods want, and if they accidentally overload your fragile, mortal body with mutations so you become a Spawn, it's not their fault. They cannot understand what owning a body even feels like, not truly, nor what it is to have it ripped apart by mutation. They merely glance at you with a minute fraction of their vast, unimaginable minds, which may result in Daemon Princehood, maybe in Spawnhood, or maybe nothing more than a benign tumour.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

So what makes Chaos "great"?
    You end up in a worse spot before and all this "the great enemy" is just propaganda because after millienia of infighting and suppy issues they cant even pose a threat to anything.
    Depends on your starting point, and indeed what knowledge you actually have of the Chaos Gods.

One of the God's greatest weapons is the level of sheer, completely intentional, ignorance installed by the Eccelsiarchy. Don't talk about it. Don't acknowledge it. Add in the remaining oppression of the Imperium (and there's a helluva lot of it) and the stage is set. Even the faintest glimmer of hope will be seized upon, and it's all done by degrees, a careful erosion of whatever humanity survives in your average Imperial mook.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast