BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

I'm not sure. What's Nurgle's Deluge and where is it? If something doesn't exist its largely because I don't know it exists or GW snuck it in and I was not made aware of its presence.

Version 1.7 of azyr comp. New seraphon units and formations. Moved khorne units to the khorne category. Executioners 3 for 5. See the new release notes at bottom of doc for more details.

[url]www.louisvillewargaming.com[/url] -> resources tab

Thanks for keeping updating the composition!!

No problem the updates will continue

So in looking how undead banners are being costed, there is a lot of heart burn over the units being too expensive. (+1 pt per selection. If you take 30 skeletons which are 3 for 10, you are going to pay 9 pts for 30 plus 3 pts for the banner = 12 pts)

I agree this seems a bit too much to me.

So here is the proposal to take it back a notch. I want to take it back to how it was - where it's just a flat +1 for the unit if you take the banner (I still think that a banner that lets you essentially add more models to the unit over time is definitely worth an extra point).

However - player will keep track of how many skeletons he kills in that unit and will still score points as normal.

Example: unit of 30 skeletons with banner.
    Over hte course of the game the banner goes off and raises 12 skeletons to that unit, giving that unit a total of 42 skeletons.
    Player kills 31 skeletons during the course of the game but cannot kill it.

As with summoning, he should still score 9 points (3 for 10, he killed 31, thats 3 full selections he killed)

This would at least give players points instead of the skeletons being raised back up negating kills (this is the biggest gripe people have with the undead that I get emails about)

SECOND RULES APPENDUM
    Implement a sliding point cost for units that get bonuses for size.

Ex: skeletons get +1A at 20 models and +2A at 30 models. 10 skeletons get nothing.

10 skeletons would cost what 10 normal skeletons would cost.
    20 skeletons would cost what they cost +1 pt for the +1 A.
    30 skeletons would cost what they cost +2 pts for the +2A.

This would be annotated with a symbol next to the units point cost in the document and explained in the top of the ruleset. This would also apply for things like dwarf rangers and empire state troops.

This would make things more "precise" instead of taking the average and then 10 skeletons pay a tax for something they'll never get.

That does leave zombies which can form new units and that can be gamed (so I can buy a bunch of cheap 10 zombie units and then just form them on turn 1 into a mega blob and go lolololololol). May leave zombies how they are due to that.

Thoughts are welcome.

Version 1.8 released this evening. Review release notes at end of doc.

For the skeletons, the conventional answer would be that the increased strength of a 30-strong unit is offset by the decreased flexibility compared to three 10-strong units, so to simply price them against their weakest profile. Not sure how well that convention would hold up in this situation, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Auticus View Post
    Version 1.8 released this evening. Review release notes at end of doc.
    Thanks for the new release!
    Just a question ... why did you remove the limitation on the evocations (only the units deployed on the ground can be summoned)?
    Did you see that this limitation did not produce real benefits or is something to be more faithful to the original rules?
    Do you not fear an evocations spam?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Torio1861 View Post
    Thanks for the new release!
    Just a question ... why did you remove the limitation on the evocations (only the units deployed on the ground can be summoned)?
    Did you see that this limitation did not produce real benefits or is something to be more faithful to the original rules?
    Do you not fear an evocations spam?
    Thanks!
    The only change was that you don't need the unit on the table to summon it. If I show up and want to summon zombies I shouldn't need to have a unit of zombies already on the table.

This has been a wildly fire inducing conversation on several threads in several areas and the arguments for not needing the unit on the table out weighed the need for the unit to already be on the table.

There shouldn't be any more or less spam than before. It just seemed odd that a scenario involving just Nagash would mean he couldn't summon any undead. Also I believe the GW events have been doing the same thing so its more "official".

For the skeletons, the conventional answer would be that the increased strength of a 30-strong unit is offset by the decreased flexibility compared to three 10-strong units, so to simply price them against their weakest profile. Not sure how well that convention would hold up in this situation, though.
    90 attacks vs 30 attacks is the difference between 30 skeletons and 10. There's not enough flexibility in the world to make me never go with 30 or more skeletons if I'm paying for them like they were 1 attack models. A large mob of skeletons is a blunt force sledgehammer, especially coupled with boosts to hit that they get near heroes and other hero buffs that are on the hero profile.

I've watched a unit of 40 skeletons buffed by hero abilities and being near the hero totally destroy everything it touched, to the tune of one of the opponents ragequit AoS over it. They have to pay for their ability in someway or else there really is no point in having points in the first place IMO.

Huh. I'd assumed the limitation on the amount of models one can get within 1-2" of a small enemy unit would be a heavier limitation on a 40+ unit of skellies than it is in practice. Having different costs for different unit sizes sounds reasonable.

Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast