BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

so why is it so wacky in a turn based system to linger in the back?
    Because it is probably the definition of being UNHEROIC to hide in the back, as well as incredibly unrealistic and immersion breaking for an entire army to be able to target that one guy in the middle of a pack of warriors.

A chaos lord that has to hide the entire game because the enemy army can just choose to target him no matter where he is is in IMO a horrible game mechanic.

Kiting and doing gamey things in RTS games is not the same as playing narrative table top scenarios that are either recreating historical scenarios, recreating narrative scenarios, or creating new narrative scenarios. They are gamey things done to win games, which to me are two totally separate and different things. I wrote this system to play narrative battles to emulate stories I read about, not to recreate my world of warcraft experience which is the farthest thing from resembling a fantasy battle that I can think of.

I don't know of any movies or fantasy novels where a unit of archers was engaged in a combat and suddenly started shooting bows outside of their combat into a unit of enemy they were not engaged with. If you could point me in the direction of such a scene I would be interested in pursuing that. That too is immersion breaking and unrealistic.

If you don't like the rules thats fair enough. There is no ruleset in existence that will garner 100% acceptability. I wrote it for the campaigns that I run and shared it with the community and its sole purpose is 100% to allow narrative campaigns to work. It has garnered a very high percentage of positive feedback so I'll take that as encouraging.

yeah to each, their own! It's pretty cool that you took the time to build rules so more people can enjoy it. I just prefer to keep with the official version is all... albeit I am, of course, a big fan of house rules! Which is a bit of an ambiguity I suppose, as your rules are technically elaborate house rules and therefore still in line with the actual official rules, because the last, most important rule, is that you and yours play by rules of combined agreement! HA so you technically are playing by official rules still :P

I guess the main difference is you're thinking in blocks of 100 archers and I'm thinking in terms of 2-3 Prosecuters or a single hero. One immediate reference to shooting and moving whilst in combat is when that elf dude from lord of the rings movie, or was it hobbit?, is chasing the dwarves floating away from the castle in the barrels in the river and all the orcs are coming...

And if doing gamey things with your hero isn't your cup of tea in this game, then hats off to you. Kiting with a well ranged powerful hero can be especially annoying and make the game no fun sometimes, so I see your point there :P

I'm also thinking in terms of units of archers and not a single archer hero. A unit of archers fighting an enemy suddenly stopping to turn and fire on some other unit seems very strange to me.

Hey, how long you think until the updates from the Chaos Battletome make it into your Azyr comp? Also, Can I suggest making the Hero points for the skirmish 3? I can't use any of my dudes from my starter pack in there cause they all are 3 or more. Kinda makes it no fun not having a hero in the mix, but I guess the idea is a Hero prob wouldn't be participating in such a small scale battle. But hey! MAYBE! like in the scenarios in the starter pack book, the armies usually still get to have a hero.

Maybe we could add one more smaller match up, call it "Convoy" or "Detachment" or "Scouts"? That way we can say in a scenario, a detachment is trying to move precious cargo in a small convoy to try and not to be detected, but are spotted by enemy scouts. Not wanting to risk losing out on the precious cargo waiting for reinforcements, the scout force charges in! Or whatever....

Suggested Change:
    Battle type "Skirmish" changed to Max Hero Points: 3

Suggested addition:
    Battle Type
    Convoy

Warscrolls

Warmachines/Monsters

Max Hero

Max Points

If you don't like it i'll just pencil it over your current guide for my use, but I think it really would help people using this guide and starting from scratch like me! Thanks for giving it a thought!
    Last edited by AoS Noob; 09-20-2015 at 01:56 AM.

It depends on how much time I have available this weekend. This saturday we have a big campaign day so I won't even be home most of that day so it will have to come in Sunday. I get the updates in as fast as I can.

If you wish to ignore the hero allocations of course you are free to do so. For me personally a skirmish battle can easily be dominated by a couple of heroes and that is something I really want to avoid being standard in the campaign games that I GM. In a skirmish battle with only 10 points, 3 point heroes can really be nasty. Especially 3 point heroes that can summon, who could then hold 2 units on the table (and turn a 10 point skirmish into a 15-20 point force vs a 10 point opponent)

[url]https://youtu.be/taYwujapuXU[/url]

Brimstone Campaign Scenario 1 battle report - Dwarfs vs Khorne 10 pt skirmish

Azyr Comp update to 1.5, get latest PDF and update your PC app

Saurus Cav 4 for 5
    Dark Riders 4 for 5
    Reavers 4 for 5
    Dragon Princes 4 for 5
    Sisters of the Thorn 4 for 5
    Flesh Hounds 4 for 5
    Hellstriders of Slaanesh 4 for 5
    Seekers of Slaanesh 4 for 5
    Seeker chariot 2 pts

Dark Elf Sorceress 2
    Night Goblin Boss 2

Spell effects do not stack, so no more dumping shield on a unit to get a 1+ save and then abilities to re-roll 1s.

Next up will be how to deal with undead, one of our hottest topics. We have either to pay the +1 point for the banner PER unit addition OR an across the board point upgrade to compensate for their summoning, healing abilities. Your feedback is welcome!

Oh sweet. Yeah I figured since there are so many other dudes out there it probably wouldn't be fair in the bigger picture. Thanks anyway!

Hey, cool bat-rep! I saw what you meant about summoning! That's kinda crazy you can just bring in extra dudes! I had a question about why your blood rushers charged the thane on the last turn though, they looked within 3", wouldn't they have just piled in even though they weren't really in combat with him directly previously? Thanks for the clarification!

Probably piled in yes. We get a few things wrong every game.

Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast