BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Default Age of Sigmar Azyr Composition Rules 1.0b

[url]http://www.louisvillewargaming.com/Files/AzyrComp.pdf[/url]

DESIGN NOTES
    During the design process of this system, I initially started out trying to write a mathematical formula that would allow us to point the models exactly as we have been doing for the pasty twenty plus years. I started noticing that this was the general direction that everyone was taking, and that each formula being put out online was very similar to each other, though had minor differences.

I then decided to move from the 1000 based precision system that I have pretty much used exclusively, and take a note from games like Warmachine or SAGA and go simpler.

The system contained in these pages is one that I wish to use for narrative campaigns as opposed to tournaments. I do believe that these would work fine for tournaments as well, but a general system is about being able to loosely gauge an overall force and determine that they are in the same ballpark as each other, whereas a precision-based system is going to attempt to point cost each model as finely as it can.

The problem I have with a precision system is that there is more to the model than its statline, and while formulas work great for statlines, once you throw in situational modifiers from scenarios or abilities the math gets thrown out. Sometimes it just happens to work, but if you’ve played any point-based system for any length of time you will find that some models work above what they are pointed at in certain situations, and may be totally bad in others (and this is where arguments over scenarios come in, where people want a universal set of scenarios that don’t highlight the good or bad parts that the math misses, which in my opinion can lead to gross stagnation)

While looking at this system, be aware that it is designed to give you a loose feeling of two forces being relatively balanced between one another overall.

The rules modifications were put in to clean up the rules and to work with the comp. Summoning I felt needed serious restrictions because you are in essence generating free points. Shooting into combat was the other because if a missile armed model can both shoot into combat and fight in melee, it becomes worth more than a melee-only model.

Any playtesting findings that you may have, feel free to contact me and we will discuss. Its been fun creating and I look forward to the campaigns that will stem from this packet.
    Last edited by Auticus; 07-12-2015 at 10:27 AM.

Battle-Brother

not bad

IDK, this kind of limits Battalion play.

Its a starting framework to be expanded on. Right now it gives us a point of reference for events other than people showing up and dropping down 5 nagashes and going "lololololol" while they raise up 3 armies.

best that I have seen, although there are a few units costs seem a little wrong, and Ogres can literally not play skirmish (not a huge difference from older versions of the warhammer to be fair)

First-Captain

The games I've played, roughly similar model count, similar number of Heroes, monsters and warmachines have all resulted in very close interesting games.

An Ogre has two wounds but they're much easier to strip off now than before.

A lot of people seem to be trying to make a comp system without playing the game, which is a shame.

Ogres have 4 wounds dude. They do however deal 2 damage to the enemy unit with every solid clubbing.

3, if you're an Irongut.

And looking once more at the Ogre Warscrolls....I think I may have to dig out my Gnoblars (oooer missus)
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    The games I've played, roughly similar model count, similar number of Heroes, monsters and warmachines have all resulted in very close interesting games.

An Ogre has two wounds but they're much easier to strip off now than before.

A lot of people seem to be trying to make a comp system without playing the game, which is a shame.
    I've had 14 games now since last saturday, six RAW and eight with this system Out of the box this is not playable. Out of the box if your opponent isn't regulating himself, then there is no game to be had and thats not a problem for buddies or close groups but if you want to do public events then AoS simply cannot work.

We had games with five blood thirsters rolling around and then summoning where a guy literally dropped his entire demon army collection (about 4000 pts of the old game) onto the table through summoning. And then there's nagash...

We tried wound count as seems to be GWs method of comp, but wound count did not work because some models with the same wounds as others are simply vastly superior.

Then there's some rules-holes, like shooting into combat, shooting out of combat, etc. Missile troops are worth double because they get to fight in hand to hand AND shoot. Why would you ever want to take melee-only troops and not take missile troops? They pump out more attack dice in each turn, their dice for shooting AND in combat if they are in combat, where melee-only units can just attack in melee that turn.

Leaders leading from the rear is another feature of the game now because heroes cannot join units and can be targeted like any other unit. While thats fine for things like Nagash or dragon riding elf lords, a dude on foot in the middle of a hoard getting his face shot off by an entire missile unit seems a bit off and is starting to lead to a lot of games where people are keeping their generals in the back and out of sight. That seems very anti-hero.

best that I have seen, although there are a few units costs seem a little wrong, and Ogres can literally not play skirmish (not a huge difference from older versions of the warhammer to be fair)
    Thanks - i'm sure there are a few unit costs that need tweaked thats why the doc is in 1.0b. Spider riders, for example are coming down to 1 for 5 instead of 2 for 5.
    Last edited by Auticus; 07-08-2015 at 06:06 AM.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Auticus View Post
    We had games with five blood thirsters rolling around and then summoning where a guy literally dropped his entire demon army collection (about 4000 pts of the old game) onto the table through summoning. And then there's nagash...
    Can you clarify this? Did he have a wizard on the table too, or was he summoning via the Bloodthirsters? Because if it was the latter, he was cheating.
    Warseer refugee.

He showed up with 5 in his box and dropped them on the table to begin the game. Along with Nagash. He had some demon casters as well which began summoning units, which in turn began summoning units (where applicable).

By the top of turn 3 he had about 4000 pts (old scale) on the table. He did this to explicitly show how broken the game was and acknowledged in a normal friendly game he'd never do this, but in an open public game like a tournament he'd have no problem doing this.

He was actually outnumbered by a third in the beginning so could have also chosen sudden death rules if he wanted to (and then in a couple of turns he outnumbered his opponent about 5:1)

Now I note that chaos and death are two factions so that's easy enough to say you have to stick with your own faction and nagash cannot be joined with demons, but again out of the box nothing stops that from happening.
    Last edited by Auticus; 07-08-2015 at 07:01 AM.

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast