BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Ogres have 4 wounds dude. They do however deal 2 damage to the enemy unit with every solid clubbing.

3, if you're an Irongut.

And looking once more at the Ogre Warscrolls....I think I may have to dig out my Gnoblars (oooer missus)
    Ogres also have multiple attacks.

One of the things that came up with the local GW club trying to make a "comp system" was discussion of model limit vs. wound limit. The initial suggestion was a cap of 40. I suggested wounds, the counter was that Ogres couldn't get more than 10 in a unit at that point and won't have a battleshock bonus. But Ogres can do 6-9 wounds *each* (obviously, not going to happen, dice being what they are, but still can expect 2-3), meaning each one is capable of absorbing and dishing out punishment, and battleshock isn't as likely to come into effect considering it's modified by number of models removed, not wounds done. Add in the standard Ogre banner (even my skull banners will count as this one) that lets you reroll a 6 on battleshock tests, and it's unlikely Ogres will lose anyone to battleshock, unless you got seriously mauled by shooting or combat.

Other multi-wound units tend to have similar capability to dish out damage, and Knights and Chaos Warriors tend to have solid Bravery values.

We have another playtest game tonight. 10 points dwarfs vs chaos on a 4x4 table.

Quote Originally Posted by Auticus View Post
    ...in a normal friendly game he'd never do this, but in an open public game like a tournament he'd have no problem doing this.
    Its a modular system NOT intended for competition. Its amazing that people keep going on about this.

Everything else I think is reasonable and must be answered.

Well see what GW does with their app and the competitive stuff they said is coming.

I read somewhere the app will have a subscription fee..... THAT is when the **** really hits the fan.

Chapter-Master

Did you happen across this? They are taking the (Wounds + Total Attacks) x Bravery = Points per model. Can likely be refined but it's a starting point and addresses issues of 1 Wound models being dramatically different in their abilities.

My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    Did you happen across this? They are taking the (Wounds + Total Attacks) x Bravery = Points per model. Can likely be refined but it's a starting point and addresses issues of 1 Wound models being dramatically different in their abilities.

I've seen variations of that yeah. Its another valid way of trying to tackle it. I prefer the system I made because the 2000 point system is honestly a chore. I like the saga point system and thats what my system reflects.

He showed up with 5 in his box and dropped them on the table to begin the game. Along with Nagash. He had some demon casters as well which began summoning units, which in turn began summoning units (where applicable).

By the top of turn 3 he had about 4000 pts (old scale) on the table. He did this to explicitly show how broken the game was and acknowledged in a normal friendly game he'd never do this, but in an open public game like a tournament he'd have no problem doing this.

He was actually outnumbered by a third in the beginning so could have also chosen sudden death rules if he wanted to (and then in a couple of turns he outnumbered his opponent about 5:1)

Now I note that chaos and death are two factions so that's easy enough to say you have to stick with your own faction and nagash cannot be joined with demons, but again out of the box nothing stops that from happening.
    Did he field any other Undead units?

I think it should be understood that you need to start with what you can summon on the table, or, at the very least, that summoning spells count against your army point total as if you fielded each unit you intended to summon. It should also be understood that Nagash is a Cheese character suited only for large games, and shouldn't be allowed to be fielded with allies or other spellcasters.

Yes he had the undead that he summoned on the table.

Yes he had the undead that he summoned on the table.
    Just reread your event rules and clarifications, and I like what I see.

Thank you sir.

So tonight we had another batch of playtesting. I took my khorne force. 1 chaos lord (1 pt), 1 unit of 20 marauders (2 pts), 1 unit of 20 warriors of khorne with halberds (4 pts), 1 unit of 5 knights of khorne (3 pts) for a total of 10 pts.

My opponent brought a dwarf lord (1 pt), army standard (1 pt), unit of 20 quarelers (3 pts), unit of 10 hammerers (2 pts), a gyrobomber (1 pt), and a unit of 20 dwarf warriors (2 pts) for a total of 10 pts.

The scenario was a very basic kill scenario, with +1 pt to killing the general.

The dwarves soundly trashed me 7-0. It wasn't due to unbalanced forces, rather the dwarves excel at taking it on the chin and coming back with a one-two uppercut combo that knocks you to the ground.

The people saying that the game is nothing but moving forward and going pew pew are wrong I think. I am starting to see the underlying layers of complexity that can arise. I was able to summon up a unit of warriors behind his turtle formation, and they hit his bomber, but were unable to kill it (bad dice). That fed him 2 points. I charged his warriors with my marauders early in the game to tie his front line up but the dwarf shield wall giving re-rollable saves plus the dwarf army standard making his warriors immune to battle shock was HUGE.

That fed him 2 more points. He got his last three points after I managed to summon up five more knights behind him to charge his quarelers and again bad dice saw me only kill a single one before his hammerers and quarrelers and dwarf lord and army standard wrecked them.

In the end, with dwarves need a character assassin to drop those bonuses. The lord and army standard bearer are potent. I will try to bring my own next time and I am considering a monster.

10 points is roughly a patrol mission (a step up from skirmish). We both had around 50 models on the table.

Looking forward to some scenario based games where objectives exist. As it is though dwarfs are a tough nut to crack, as I would expect them to be when they are allowed to be as defensive as they want.

Rules change ups from tonight: when a hero model joins a unit, in combat you activate either the hero OR the unit when activating a unit, not both. We were doing it simple and saying the hero and unit both activate and thats a little too powerful.

The hero being with the unit made it so that our lords weren't in the back hiding. By the rules as written, a chaos lord could be in the middle of a big unit of whatever and still be targeted out pretty easily by missile troops, so we were seeing our characters always hiding in the back which seemed very unheroic.

Thank you sir.

So tonight we had another batch of playtesting. I took my khorne force. 1 chaos lord (1 pt), 1 unit of 20 marauders (2 pts), 1 unit of 20 warriors of khorne with halberds (4 pts), 1 unit of 5 knights of khorne (3 pts) for a total of 10 pts.

My opponent brought a dwarf lord (1 pt), army standard (1 pt), unit of 20 quarelers (3 pts), unit of 10 hammerers (2 pts), a gyrobomber (1 pt), and a unit of 20 dwarf warriors (2 pts) for a total of 10 pts.

The scenario was a very basic kill scenario, with +1 pt to killing the general.

The dwarves soundly trashed me 7-0. It wasn't due to unbalanced forces, rather the dwarves excel at taking it on the chin and coming back with a one-two uppercut combo that knocks you to the ground.

The people saying that the game is nothing but moving forward and going pew pew are wrong I think. I am starting to see the underlying layers of complexity that can arise. I was able to summon up a unit of warriors behind his turtle formation, and they hit his bomber, but were unable to kill it (bad dice). That fed him 2 points. I charged his warriors with my marauders early in the game to tie his front line up but the dwarf shield wall giving re-rollable saves plus the dwarf army standard making his warriors immune to battle shock was HUGE.

That fed him 2 more points. He got his last three points after I managed to summon up five more knights behind him to charge his quarelers and again bad dice saw me only kill a single one before his hammerers and quarrelers and dwarf lord and army standard wrecked them.

In the end, with dwarves need a character assassin to drop those bonuses. The lord and army standard bearer are potent. I will try to bring my own next time and I am considering a monster.

10 points is roughly a patrol mission (a step up from skirmish). We both had around 50 models on the table.

Looking forward to some scenario based games where objectives exist. As it is though dwarfs are a tough nut to crack, as I would expect them to be when they are allowed to be as defensive as they want.

Rules change ups from tonight: when a hero model joins a unit, in combat you activate either the hero OR the unit when activating a unit, not both. We were doing it simple and saying the hero and unit both activate and thats a little too powerful.

The hero being with the unit made it so that our lords weren't in the back hiding. By the rules as written, a chaos lord could be in the middle of a big unit of whatever and still be targeted out pretty easily by missile troops, so we were seeing our characters always hiding in the back which seemed very unheroic.
    Wonder how the Skryre list I'm cooking up will fair against those lists? Loads of shooting and Mortal Wound generation and nice, tanky infantry. Hopefully, low model count won't be my downfall.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast